Need Help: Painting Pool Deck - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Need Help: Painting Pool Deck

Old 04-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need Help: Painting Pool Deck

Hey guys need some help... Finishing up exterior repaint & owners also have asked if we could do there pool deck. It's your standard pool decking concrete. I was told it was painted about a year or so ago, but I don't know the product that was used, meaning stain or paint and owners don't know what was used. Decks not in horrible shape but in that amount of time I would think it should not look as bad as it does. Color is a light yellow cream. Any suggestions on what type of products to use. We will definitely pressure wash with a bleach soultion first.

Thanks in advance!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Pro Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Need Help: Painting Pool Deck

You really need to find out what's on that deck first. If it's latex, you can take a rag with denatured alcohol and rub it. If it comes up on the rag, it's most likely latex. Is it chalky on the surface? If so, it could be an epoxy (not likely). Or it could be an oil based product.

When I'm in doubt, I'll sand down the surface thoroughly to provide good tooth, then topcoat it with SW's ArmorSeal 1K waterborne polyurethane and I usually get good results.

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Hope the previous painerts ecthed the concrete, if not there is a big problem in the future. Just my $.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 07:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the advise AA... The surface does not seem chalky. Will try the D alcohol and see what happens. I know we need to find out what's on the deck, but that's easier said than done.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 7,510

Depending on how bad the existing coating is, you may want to try to strip it off, rather than rely on it as an underlayment for your coating. I get real freaked when I have no faith in the previous coats.
Try a random adhesion test on it somewhere it isn't already peeling.
Cut an X with a utility knife, and apply some masking tape to it. let sit a couple minutes, and yank it off. If any paint comes with it, its adhesion is in question.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #6

Thanks Pro Wall Guy...I do not like getting into situations like this, but being we are doing there exterior I would like to help them out on the deck plus this was also a refferal...
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #7
Pro Painter

Oh yeah....forgot the condition part. If it's in ratty condition it may have to come up completely and start from new. That's what I like about this place...leave something out, and somebody will always fill the gap with info!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #8

AA... Used the D alcohol and paint did come up with little effort, so I would assume Latex was used. We tried SW Super Paint for the first time on the exterior and I would have to say; would definitly use again... I think the best thing to do for the deck is use a stripping tip when we pressure wash and then try the product you recommened from SW. Prowall... Used the razor knife and tape looked pretty good when pulled up. *** The deck also as quite a few cracks not very deep, but long some 6" to 23" any suggestions on what to fill with. CON SEAL from SW ??? Thanks guys!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
Pro Painter

Hmm...don't foret one more important factor...slip resistance. The armor seal is a pretty slick product, and I'm not positive about adding abrasive to it. I'd check with a rep to see about adding some sand to it for grip...It's normally a commercial/industrial floor coating. It is super duty stuff, but like I said, it's kinda slick. I've never used it on a pool deck or anything, but it gives a nice finish for sure.

Advertisement