I Bought The New Graco Cordless Sprayer - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

I Bought The New Graco Cordless Sprayer

Old 12-27-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 256

I Bought The New Graco Cordless Sprayer

I've been eyeballing this thing since I first saw it in the advertisements months ago. I got a sweet deal on one through my sales rep. We tested it in the back of the Sherwin Williams warehouse on drywall and it seems really nice.

I haven't even been able to use it yet because there's not much work in my neck of the woods. For those of you who have them, I'm assuming they're good for small jobs like cabinets, a few doors here or there, wrought iron etc. They seem easy to clean up too, I think it'll be a money maker once I get in the groove with it. Does anyone here have one?

BTW, as of Jan 1, 2011, they're going up in price to a flat 500 dollars from their current 450 bucks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #2

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 75

Re: I Bought The New Graco Cordless Sprayer

yeah we bought one and it is pretty nice. You're right though; it's best to have a big job before getting one, unless they have a great deal on one then you're investing in the future. They are easy to clean as well. I still don't like that there is no control on the pressure so you are either "off," or "full-on". But their fine finish spray is good for doors and mantels with the right product.

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I bought the electric corded one, didn't want to deal with another battery charger. I sprayed 12 shutters the first time using it, and was very pleased. I recently primed a room and did a bunch of closets, which was the reason I figured I buy one. Just getting those closets done quickly made it pay for itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

I LOVE mine. It works great for cabinets and smaller jobs like you stated but my favorite use is for staining trim. I put a fine tip into it and spray on all the stain monolithically then tool down. Also use it for poly, works great you will love it too.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

I think I only paid 385 for it, Ill check the records but I think you need a new Sherwin Williams sales rep. Might be worth looking into.

http://www.ohiohomedoctorremodeling.com
Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

I've read on another forum where it's not so great for cabinets. Are you guys finding it puts down an good finish for painted cabinets then?

How about maneuvering inside a cabinet box?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: hack painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
My best guess would be "bumpy".
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Pro

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting in Utah

My husband got one and loves it. Great for doing small jobs like an odd door.
We do a lot of new construction that he sprays with an airless, and when it comes time to do touchup, the Proshot is perfect.

Here is a link to an article in APC with a good review
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Pro

Chris, does he do any kind of cabinet spraying?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting in Utah

Quote:
Chris, does he do any kind of cabinet spraying?
Not really. Our NC usually have prefinished custom cabinets, occasionally have a redo where they get painted and he uses the 440i.
On that same site there is another review you might like.
The Following User Says Thank You to RCPainting For This Useful Post:
J F (12-28-2010)
Old 01-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #12

Trade: paint

Re-pack is needed after 50 gallons. There is an atomizer included for fine finish tips. Keep your batteries charged.
They now have an electric powered on available. Just make sure the tips are available at the store you purchase it from. Some SW stores won't carry the tips and filters because they "Don't sell". But the useless Sherwin Williams employee will sell you one from his store, but if you buy one he'll tell you go to another location.
Like I said, with SW, it's all about the bottom line.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #13

Trade: paint sprayer,power washer and air compressor repa

I have had a few in my service shop. I kind of like them but the balance is a little off, any comments on how they feel after using for 10 or so minutes?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
Ramsden Painting

I have had a Proshot since they have come out. It has been sent out a few times for all kinds of reasons. The three complaints I have is the turn around and no knowledge anybody has with these as they are so new and when sent out its a month between time when I get it back.

Also as previously mentioned, the store does not carry any tips or filters for these. I always have to order them and wait a week or so.

The last time the machine froze (wouldn't pump) the rep told me to stick a pen in it and it will fix it. If this is what I have to do to repair this $450 piece of garbage, you can have it back.

Id love to hear from a Graco rep
Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 256

I'm getting worried about this purchase from the responses I've recieved. I know I won't use it a whole lot but I'm sure as I get accustomed to it, I'll find more and more uses for the thing. If my store doesn't sell the parts I need, I'll have a big problem then.

Hell, worse case scenario, I use it for the summer and bang out ten to twenty times what I paid for it and then trash it.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #16
Pro

Pre-purchase any tips and a re-build kit. A discussion on PT http://www.painttalk.com/f12/graco-p...-7897/index17/
Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #17

Quote:
I've read on another forum where it's not so great for cabinets. Are you guys finding it puts down an good finish for painted cabinets then?

I dont like it for cab's. You cant control the pressure and even with a ff tip your still blowing too much pressure and too much product for my liking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
J F (01-12-2011), Rent A Painter (01-13-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram painting View Post
I have had a Proshot since they have come out. It has been sent out a few times for all kinds of reasons. The three complaints I have is the turn around and no knowledge anybody has with these as they are so new and when sent out its a month between time when I get it back.

Also as previously mentioned, the store does not carry any tips or filters for these. I always have to order them and wait a week or so.

The last time the machine froze (wouldn't pump) the rep told me to stick a pen in it and it will fix it. If this is what I have to do to repair this $450 piece of garbage, you can have it back.

Id love to hear from a Graco rep
Agree. I got mine when they first came out too. The first time I used it paint started leaking out of the hole in the front of the gun. When I looked up the solution for the problem in the book, it said replace gun. The did give me a brand new one. After using that one for about 10 gallons the plastic paint intake tube would not hold securely. I actually had to tape it so the paint would flow through the gun. I have been trying to get a replacement tube for about a month now. Lastly, you really have to clean out the threads where the gun and paint cup screw on. If you get build up there and try to take the paint cup off, too much pressure can cause the housing to crack. Graco will not fix it if it does.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 572

The tube enlarging seems to be from paint thinner or mineral spirits causing it to enlarge. But the bravo graco rep will not believe you. They seem to have a hard time believing anything could be wrong with one of their products that was not caused by the painter.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 25

Don't you know Dean, that whenever you have a problem with software or equipment or product, you're the only one who's ever had that problem. That infuriates me to no end. I now sometimes start complaints with the following; If you tell me I'm the only one having this problem, I'll give you both barrels instead of one. That usually gets the rest of the discussion going in a productive fashion. That's a standard company line, they'll never admit to product defects.
This was informative, as I was eyeing one up myself. And, in my area, they're still at 450.00.

Advertisement

J.A. Sheridan Painting

Last edited by jsheridan; 03-13-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: add