HVLP Trim Spray Rough To The Touch. - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

HVLP Trim Spray Rough To The Touch.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: class b contractor
Rewards Points: 591

HVLP Trim Spray Rough To The Touch.

I'm new to using a HVLP. I just sprayed some trim with a HVLP gun; some of the trim very detailed. It looks great, it tightened up to details good, looks smooth. The problem is it doesn't feel smooth, more like 2000 grit sandpaper or like a flat. Like over spray. Here's the technique used.
Acrylic latex satin.
First time. Low air pressure ( too low-45 at compressor)
Paint to thin (about 20%) Used water to thin, added floetrol.

Second time. Put a second regulator at gun, pumped up pressure (45 at inlet, gun full and open)
Thined pain 10%, used less floetrol.
The gun worked a lot better second time, but I got same results both times.
I got a smoother feel with a brush. Like I said tho, the spray looks great, but feels like a flat paint. I understand there's a lot of variables, but any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The gun is the harbor freight cheaper one. The nozzle to small? I read post from painters using it for latex.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Re: HVLP Trim Spray Rough To The Touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by music9704 View Post
I'm new to using a HVLP. The gun is the harbor freight cheaper one. .
Do you always use the cheapest tools/materials you can find?

To get professional results, use professional tools. I'll almost bet your charging professional rates, aren't you?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Driftweed For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (11-14-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 765

I used a cheap harbor freight hvlp gun to spray some oil base black impervo because I didn't want to spray it through my asturo gun. It was a mdf raised panel bar front.
It came out great.
Nicko
music9704 (11-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 5,803

Not enough paint on the pc. You possibly have dry spray.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
music9704 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,666

I believe the paint is drying either before as soon as it lands on the surface. I suggest either increase the amount of paint, slow down moving across the work, move gun closer to the work or all three. Thinning the paint too much may also be a problem, better quality hvlp's can spray thicker latex paint.
I found some scraps and practiced with my hvlp's to get the right settings etc to get the finish right. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Danahy (11-22-2014), music9704 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 765

I think those harbor freight guns only come with a 1.5 tip. That is to small to spray latex you need a 2.0 pr bigger.
Nicko
music9704 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed View Post
Do you always use the cheapest tools/materials you can find?

To get professional results, use professional tools. I'll almost bet your charging professional rates, aren't you?
First, you don't know anything about me, but your reply says a lot about you. It's not that I feel I owe you any explanation, my reply however, is in hopes you may learn something; maybe how to not be so judgemental.

The gun came in a box of tools purchased at a yardsale. Not that I'm knocking the gun. I have seen more positive reviews about the gun than bad. I've seen pictures of several custom automobiles sprayed with the HF purple guns, that looked great. I've been contracting for over 20 yrs, so I know, most times cheap tools, do cheap jobs. That was why I was surprised about the reviews and pics.
The trim work is in a house I own, so I guess I'm not really charging anyone! I don't bid paint jobs. Sometimes I paint my own contracts. (remodels, turnkey). This would not happen for a HO, because I would have tested it prior (like on my own house). If it did happen, I would fine sand and brush. I guarantee, 90% of the time I am more picky about my work than the HO.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickko View Post
I used a cheap harbor freight hvlp gun to spray some oil base black impervo because I didn't want to spray it through my asturo gun. It was a mdf raised panel bar front.
It came out great.
Nicko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Not enough paint on the pc. You possibly have dry spray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
move gun closer to the work or all three. Thinning the paint too much may also be a problem, better quality hvlp's can spray thicker latex paint.
I found some scraps and practiced with my hvlp's to get the right settings etc to get the finish right. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickko View Post
1.5 tip is to small to spray latex you need a 2.0 pr bigger.
Nicko
Leo, I may have been moving a bit fast, I tried applying a thick coat. It was night and not the best lighting, and spraying white on white. It was really hard to tell. The places I know that are are think are a bit smoother. I think dry spray as well, I thought floetrol would help take care of this? Thank you.
Ohio, the thinning could have been an issue. Also like you and Nicko said, the gun spraying latex could caused problems. I sprayed oil primer and it flowed well. The latex was harder, the tip is def to small. It keep trying to clog. I should have tested on scrap, I got in a hurry. The oil went well, so I was like heck yeah.....
Old 11-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

When I had this problem it was rate of application. I slowed down and put it on thicker and it worked well for me. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
music9704 (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 432

Sherwin-Williams opened a new store not far from me and had their grand opening a couple of Saturdays back. I stopped by to get 10 gallons of ceiling paint. They had some of their technical people there. Among then was a person whose name tag said she was a chemist. While waiting to have my paint shaken, I overhead her talking to some Hispanics about cutting latex paint. They were discussing using windshield washer fluid instead of Floetrol. Huh? What? When the others walked away, I asked, "Really?" She confirmed that the idea wasn't new to her and said to just be sure to use the 0 degree formulation of the product.

I gave it a shot (literally) and it does seem to work pretty well. The blue tint in the fluid just disappears (if you're wondering about that).
music9704 (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon View Post
windshield washer fluid instead of Floetrol

I gave it a shot (literally) and it does seem to work pretty well. The blue tint in the fluid just disappears (if you're wondering about that).
I just saw this on youtube a few days ago. I was like you; Really? The guy on the video really seemed like he knew what he was doing tho. I'm glad you confirmed.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 543

Windex is mostly ammonia & alcohol, both of which are common in water based paints. They both evaporate faster than water, so it makes sense to me.

It sounds like too much air, for the volume of finish. The finish is drying before it hits the surface. Normally this happens with hot air from turbines, but not with conversion guns. Cut the air, & apply wetter.
Do you have a pressurized cup, or remote cup? With a remote cup (or pot), you can bump product pressure to help atomize, without adding too much air at the nozzle.

Last edited by Railman; 11-14-2014 at 11:32 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
music9704 (12-04-2014), stelzerpainting (12-29-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Windex is mostly ammonia & alcohol, both of which are common in water based paints. They both evaporate faster than water, so it makes sense to me.

It sounds like too much air, for the volume of finish. The finish is drying before it hits the surface. Normally this happens with hot air from turbines, but not with conversion guns. Cut the air, & apply wetter.
Do you have a pressurized cup, or remote cup? With a remote cup (or pot), you can bump product pressure to help atomize, without adding too much air at the nozzle.
I didn't tell the whole conversation as I was just nuking some coffee in the trailer earlier. Turns out the chemist's name was Chemise (wasn't wearing my glasses) and she was in management (not a chemist). She did seem to know her stuff, though. She explained that the guys to whom she was talking all worked for a big local painter with about 20 crews (name is Hernandez, I think) and he had been using it for years. She said there were a lot of theories about how the practice started. Some think guys confused it with pump saver, some say a painter didn't have water available and he needed to thin his paint and washer fluid was all he had. She also stated that he (Hernandez?) had never had a paint failure claim they could attribute to the fluid. She also said he makes his guys have the store open every can of paint so they can smell it before they will take it out of the store. They do reject some based on the smell. She said she has heard of people using every imaginable fluid to thin water base paints, including Sprite, beer and urine.
music9704 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 954

That HF gun is actually not a bad gun at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
music9704 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
If you're talking about the gravity feed gun, agree. I used it for spraying pigmented shellac primer. Not sure I would use it for latex, though. I have used a HF HVLP pressure feed rig to spray latex. Wouldn't do it again.
music9704 (11-15-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Quote:
Originally Posted by music9704 View Post
First, you don't know anything about me, but your reply says a lot about you. It's not that I feel I owe you any explanation, my reply however, is in hopes you may learn something; maybe how to not be so judgemental.

The gun came in a box of tools purchased at a yardsale. Not that I'm knocking the gun. I have seen more positive reviews about the gun than bad. I've seen pictures of several custom automobiles sprayed with the HF purple guns, that looked great. I've been contracting for over 20 yrs, so I know, most times cheap tools, do cheap jobs. That was why I was surprised about the reviews and pics.
The trim work is in a house I own, so I guess I'm not really charging anyone! I don't bid paint jobs. Sometimes I paint my own contracts. (remodels, turnkey). This would not happen for a HO, because I would have tested it prior (like on my own house). If it did happen, I would fine sand and brush. I guarantee, 90% of the time I am more picky about my work than the HO.
You have been doing this 20 years, I have only been doing it 2. You use the garage sale special, I use a titan turbine powered HVLP. why would that be? Because even I realized you cant make a pinto a porsche. If your going to use bottom of the barrel tools, don't expect to get world class results

Will the harbor freight do what you want? sure with a tremendous amount of trial and error, but even then it may not perform the same way twice in a row. You could very well have it dialed in on this use but the next time you use it, you will have to start again. THAT was the point I was trying to drive across. Not necessarily a personal attack on you, but merely pointing out that you are chasing a pipe dream.

Let's say, for example, you do dial it in with a specific formula of air to material ratio and write it all down and feel confident about going to do actual work with it and IT FAILS MISERABLY. Now you are stuck on a job, and losing time and money quickly. Do you repeat the same mistake and buy another cheapo tool and cross your finger? Or will you have to take a massive loss and buy LEGITIMATE equipment and relearn how to use it?

Would you seriously show up to brush a house with a chip brush? Same thing here when spraying paint.

I hated spending over $1000 on my HVLP (at first) but am VERY thankful I did now that I use it more often.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed View Post
You havline en doing this 20 years, I have only been doing it 2. You use the garage sale special, I use a titan turbine powered HVLP. why would that be? Because even I realized you cant make a pinto a porsche. If your going to use bottom of the barrel tools, don't expect to get world class results

I hated spending over $1000 on my HVLP (at first) but am VERY thankful I did now that I use it more often.
I am NOT a paint contractor. 2yrs; I have probably lost more money in tools than you have spent at this point. I guess I could have used the craco airless (I have never used) or the other airless (I don't remember the name of) I just bought the second one because I was in a pinch on a job, I think it was about $400. They were at the other house. The plan was to brush, and spray the fireplaces. I found the hvlp at the project house shed so........I actually hadn't decided if I was going to spray the FP myself. I'm not a painter or paint contractor. I am a decent painter (better than a HO but not a pro). If it's something I feel I can't do, I sub out. IE. Gloss doors, most jobs that will be sprayed....I will paint some of my own contracts, not all. I understand what you are saying, but I have no intent on buying a 1000 sprayer, cause painting is not my gig. I don't have a problem spending money on tools.

Last edited by Leo G; 11-15-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon View Post
If you're talking about the gravity feed gun, agree. I used it for spraying pigmented shellac primer. Not sure I would use it for latex, though. I have used a HF HVLP pressure feed rig to spray latex. Wouldn't do it again.
Yes I agree, not that I'm a true painter... It's not a bad gun, used for the right thing. I don't think it was ment for latex. The job looks great, if no one touches it.lol I will be moving in this house, so.... My wife threatened me if I repaint. I've been on this way to long as is. She said I was OCD about perfection. I'll probably repaint at the same time I paint the next two rooms. Maybe she'll not notice.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #19
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
Its not bad, I used them for years, but when I switched to a Devilbiss Finishline 4, the difference was night and day. I won't go back. Faster fluid delivery, better atomization, lower over spray, better part availability, this list goes on. I want to get a Techna next.

https://www.facebook.com/PunchlistCarpentry?ref=hl
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
music9704 (12-04-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Several threads mention floetrol. I never use it when spraying. I don't think that a properly sprayed finish needs it.

Advertisement

music9704 (12-04-2014)