How To Get A Builder To Give Me A Shot? - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

How To Get A Builder To Give Me A Shot?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
House Painters Reading PA

Trade: House Painting, Roof Cleaning, Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 250

How To Get A Builder To Give Me A Shot?

Besides handing out info and hoping I get a call. What is a sure fire way to get a custom builder to cut out one house for me to paint and show my ability? Although I only have been contracting repaints the last several years I have extensive new construction experience in homes up to 9k sf. Remember I live in NorthEast Florida. Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Re: How To Get A Builder To Give Me A Shot?

If you really want it bad enough tell them you will beat any price they get.

But I'm curious, why do want to go after new construction? Repaints represent great cash flow, great scheduling, and great opportunities for more work. New construction tends to be low-ball pricing, chasing your money, schedule nightmares, and little guarantee the next guy won't supplant you.

If you are looking to grow your business I'd suggest private-ownership commercial.

Just a thought

Mndrk

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Epoxy Dude

Trade: Industrial Coatings & Linings
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
How to get a builder to give me a shot?
Buy the first round

http://www.wolverinecoatings.com/Pic...kids&paint.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Trade: Licensed Electrictian

This seems to be a very general question for someone just starting out in business. As this is one of the FIRST questions I ask MYSELF every morning. I think this is sort of like saying Welcome to the World of self-employment. Somedays I just want to
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,186

Dont cry for me Argentina
Old 07-31-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Systems Fanatic

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGeneration View Post
Besides handing out info and hoping I get a call. What is a sure fire way to get a custom builder to cut out one house for me to paint and show my ability? Although I only have been contracting repaints the last several years I have extensive new construction experience in homes up to 9k sf. Remember I live in NorthEast Florida. Thanks
No matter what you go after, if you want to succeed you must offer more value than your competitors. If you look like everyone else, the buyer would be crazy not to go with the low price. If you want to charge more, offer more.

Offering more doesn't necessarily more work. It means more value. Value can come in many ways-- prompt response, payment options, product upgrades, or maintenance programs for his customers. It means identifying what your customer (or perhaps more importantly, what his customer) wants. Then deliver it with precision and unfailing consistency. If you do that, if doesn't matter whether you are digging ditches, painting $1M homes, or playing shortstop for the Houston Astros, you will be successful.

Brian Phillips
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 500

When I was just starting out I hooked a new construction GC through craigslist, he was in a pinch and needed a plumber quick.
I wound up doing four jobs for him, but finally got sick of hearing "gimme a good price again on this one and I'll make up for it on the next one."
I avoid new construction.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by "[/B
I avoid new construction.
I was thinking of this myself. But I guess new const. is considered fast money?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothole View Post
I was thinking of this myself. But I guess new const. is considered fast money?
I dont know about fast money, alot of the builders tend to pay pretty slowly, especially the ones who are low volume. You gotta be fast to do new construction, many of the builders want their cookie cutter houses done in 3 days or less. You move too slow and the tile or cabinet guy gets held up then it messes up the whole system and there will be hell to pay. The date they set to close on a house is the date, builders are not looking to push back getting paid because their painter took too long, you screw up and it is on to the next painter. Many builders in my area will pay just fine untill they decide to go with a different painter, then once they dump you good luck getting the money they owe you anytime soon, if they dont need you then you become the last priority.
There are people around here doing houses for $1 sqf floor space, I get more then that just to repaint the walls in the same house a year later when the flat paint the builders love to use gets all dirty and scuffed. Sometimes I might prime a house or do some service work for a guy I know who does new construction, but mostly i shy away from it, I cant compete with people whos top guys make $10 an hour.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernStyle View Post
I dont know about fast money, alot of the builders tend to pay pretty slowly, especially the ones who are low volume. You gotta be fast to do new construction, many of the builders want their cookie cutter houses done in 3 days or less. You move too slow and the tile or cabinet guy gets held up then it messes up the whole system and there will be hell to pay. The date they set to close on a house is the date, builders are not looking to push back getting paid because their painter took too long, you screw up and it is on to the next painter. Many builders in my area will pay just fine untill they decide to go with a different painter, then once they dump you good luck getting the money they owe you anytime soon, if they dont need you then you become the last priority.
There are people around here doing houses for $1 sqf floor space, I get more then that just to repaint the walls in the same house a year later when the flat paint the builders love to use gets all dirty and scuffed. Sometimes I might prime a house or do some service work for a guy I know who does new construction, but mostly i shy away from it, I cant compete with people whos top guys make $10 an hour.
I have to agree with you 100%.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
If you do that, if doesn't matter whether you are digging ditches, painting $1M homes, or playing shortstop for the Houston Astros, you will be successful.

Brian Phillips
$1m Homes? That's a studio apt. in the Bay Area
Bay Area Painting Company
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #12

I totally agree with mandrake. After 32 years of painting I finally get it . New work is just as mandrake stated. Mike
Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
profesional handyman

Trade: professional handyman services
Rewards Points: 25

When I was A young painter, the owner and I found a builder that gave us a shot at $1.25 sq. ft. onthier house with the stipulation that if he liked the quality of our work the next hose would be $2.25. We finished that house and he gave us the other dollar anyway and we went on to do all of his work for many years to come. Make everyone do a job as if were their house.
I may not be able to see the job from my house, but i remember that it was good
Old 01-22-2008, 01:24 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: painting and drywall

I agree always look pro in every way and if they want cheaper let em have it they get what they pay for
Old 01-28-2008, 01:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGeneration View Post

Simple, do what I did.

Send emails to EVERY Home Builder in your area asking if they need any bids for any current or future projects.

I did this a couple months ago and now I have 3 home builders I do work for. I get about 5 huge houses every month now.

You must have 3 good references though and general liability.

I recommend using yahoo yellow pages.

Advertisement