A Guy I Work With Does Some Strange Things - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

A Guy I Work With Does Some Strange Things

Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plastering, Drywall, Painting, Woodworking, Stucco
Rewards Points: 1,196

A Guy I Work With Does Some Strange Things

Hey there Guys,
I got a question for you. I work for this company we have 9 painters counting myself, now I have the most years in the trade compared to the guys I work with. well we have this one guys who gets the most money of all of us, now he will start a house and he jumps right into primer or paint before any prep work is done and I mean he'll go and start painting ceilings before dropping out the room or if he fines that something needs mud work he's on it, no drops just mix up the Easy sand and go.
Well I have worked with all the guys on different jobs over the past 4 months, well all the others know what steps to follow unless they are on this guys jobsite. He tells everyone he does things different
I have said some things about this to the other guys and the Boss, well the Boss keeps making excusses for this guy, the guy isn't that good of a Painter to start with, he uses so much paint, I watched him use two gallons of ceiling paint on a 12 x 15 living room ceiling it looked like heavy orange peel
When we get these jobs the guy in charge is ordering the paint, well the jobs I have been on with this guy he always over estimates paint and we end up taking custom colors back to the shop to sit on selfs and then it goes to the trash.
Do you think I should mind my own business and do my job and basiclly say "Oh Well it's not my company!"
The thing is when I go to his jobsite I dred walking in cause I know what's going to be going on, everything back azzwards

Last edited by Frankawitz; 08-20-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,468

Re: A Guy I Work With Does Some Strange Things

It sounds like you've voiced your concerns to your boss and that's all you can do. The ball is now in your bosses court and it seems as if he's dismissing it. There may be some background between the bossman and this painter guy. Who knows.

It is what it is. Just let it go or else it will keep bothering you to the point it affects your attitude and then your work.

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

Glad to hear you found a steady gig

I think you've voiced your concerns, and should just go with the flow...

It sucks, I know..

Maybe just drop a little hint here and there, and the boss will pick up on it.

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

The guy's either related to the boss, or holds "something" over his head :
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Holy Crap!

Trade: General Contracting-Renovations-Carpentry
Rewards Points: 296

Some how, some way, he is making money for your boss. The boss values dollars over ethics and workmanship. That being said, there are just some people that no matter how much sh!t they roll in, they always come out smelling like a rose.

Other than voicing your opinion to the boss, there isn't much else you can do or worry about.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
Pro

Hey Guys Thanks,
I kinda of had that feeling, But when you work so many years for yourself and then working for someone and you see guys screwing off and doing stuff Wrong it just gets me that these clowns aren't out on the street and replaced with someone who has Pride in their work, I don't know it must be me. But I did hear that the Boss had to work with him the other day outside in the heat (90) well this clown goes and sits in his van with AC on while the Boss and another guy who works his azz off are humpin it out
I guess the Boss got to see first hand so now I am just gonna laugh and do my job and don't worry about it I get paid by the Hour now! Besides I don't have to worry about paying him for sitting in his truck
Thanks again guys! man it's Good to be working let me tell you, I work with a crew that are good worker we knock the work out we are doing a Big high end house staining exterior siding I'll see if I can post some pictures later I got to get out of here I start work at 7:00am
The Following User Says Thank You to Frankawitz For This Useful Post:
J L (08-26-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Bernie Logan

Trade: Drywall and Painting
Rewards Points: 10

Does he do his own cleanup? With no drops and all, cause I really hate when I have to crawl around washing my mud off customer's floors if the drop sheet wasn't quite big enough or i missed..
Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
Pro

No this guy isn't family to the Boss he's just a goofball, he is the only Painter I have ever met who does everything backazzwards, he will get on a job and he starts painting, then he goes and patchs then he caulks and then back to painting
Everyone thinks he's a MORON but the Boss keeps him cause if the Boss needs someone to work 16 hours this jackazz is the first in line, the only thing is he dicks around more then he works, if that's what you want to call it. I figure I get paid by the hour so why should I care it aint my company
The rest of the guys know that when he starts a job that we'll have to go in and fix what he has done, and the Boss wonders why we have extra paint from jobs the guy doesn't know how to estimate how much paint a job will need he is always over buying paint which he throws out or leaves 3 or 4 gallons with customers
We had exterior painting of a office complex we were spraying yet none of the spray units were cleaned? Well after two hours of cleaning the pumps so we could spray thank You Mr. Backazzwards he doesn't feel it's his job to clean sprayer when he's done using them, just puts them in the shop. Then we have to clean them

Advertisement