Garage Floor Coating - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Garage Floor Coating

Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #1

Trade: Residential Remodel
Rewards Points: 10

Garage Floor Coating

This is my first post so be gentle.

I posted an intro a few weeks ago, but hadn't been on in a while. I am a residential renovation contractor in the Atlanta area. The reason for this post is I have a customer that wants his garage floor coated with a color stain/paint and color chips. I've done a few in the past with typical Epoxy materials and they've turned out really nice. He wants a commercial/industrial type "showroom" worthy finish. Any recommendations on high-end materials or products that anyone has had success with?

Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Garage Floor Coating

I've done a few in the past. Gettting ready to do a few more soon. Mostly off the shelf stuff as you probably have as well. I have found the key for a garage is, like most things, preparation. Clean, degrease and etch. 2 part epoxy. There is also a clear coat finish you can apply after for added punch and durability.

I've used Rustoleum the most. Researching that compared to Behr and Rhino now to see what I'll use going forward. Had no complaints with Rustoleum. Only once when I don't think the etching was done well enough and or homewowner went on it too soon. Had a little hot tire pick up. Like I said, preparation and proper cure time.

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #3

Trade: Residential Remodel

Thanks Hmbldr. That's what I've been using as well. You're right, taking the time and making the effort in the prep work is the key. I hadn't used the clear finish coat yet. Maybe that's the "pop" he's looking for. I just didn't know if there was another type of material that would have better performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

I do a few a year, I used to use the Ben Moore 2 part polyamide epoxy but have switched over to the coronado 2 part polyamide. I always wash, acid etch, and rinse with a mix of water and oil and grease emulsifier. Last floor I did was the first time I used the color chips. Did 2 coats of the polyamide, sprinkled on the chips, and then did a coat of clear.
I have never been able to completely get rid of the cracks in the floor, the guy at the paint store said the perfect floors you see online are likely from using 100% solids stuff that can be pretty hard to work with. I will try it one day, just not in a customers home.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential contractor
Rewards Points: 150

I checked around. Like with most things, there's a lot out there. One I came across that's looks awesome is U Coat It. Pricey though compared to your other products we've mentioned here. A large 2 car will probably run about $600 for the epoxy coating and clear coat. Defintely a step above base coat and flecks from Behr or Rustoleum. These also require the florr be completely dry after you;ve done all the etching and washing and then miniumum 7 days no vehicle. I even read up to 30 days cure time. With U Coat It, it can be applied when the floor is still damp and has no extended wait period. Could be a huge selling feature for the right client.

http://www.ucoatit.com/shop/home.asp
Old 05-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Organic Mold Farmer
Rewards Points: 4,534

Cement backwards.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 8,445

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO762 View Post
Cement backwards.

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 70,000 Subscribers and over 11,000,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 05-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot View Post
c e m e n T ...................
Old 05-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO762 View Post
c e m e n T ...................
I still don't get it.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Pro

http://www.tnemec.com/

From what I was told, I think that's how they started, thus the name. Cocktail conversation worthy knowledge.

Last edited by CO762; 05-05-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #11

Trade: Remodeling and Handman services

Last year I applied a ppg 2 part epoxy in a salon. I was very happy with the results. The owners did not want any chips put in so I was concerned how even it would look after it dried. Looks great. I've used the rustoleum and the bear products in garages in the past and I would choose the ppg over either of those.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #12

Trade: Flooring

Have you seen this product http://www.everlastepoxy.com/ It seems to be a very durable high quality professional floor. Looks like it would work for the application you were suggesting

Advertisement