Fine Paints Of Europe Help - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Fine Paints Of Europe Help

Old 12-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,196

Fine Paints Of Europe Help

My client has asked for me to paint her ceiling and door in main bathroom in the FPOE Brilliant. She wants the mirror gloss that has become popular around here. I have never painted with this paint, I have used BM High Gloss oil products in the past like there Super spec DTM or Super spec oil high gloss.
My question is that we have only ever done trim in these high gloss paints, I really want to do the best possible job for this client as cost is not even in the equation. I was looking for some idea how to prep the ceiling, for sure it has latex on it at the moment.
ANy help would be great

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 460

Re: Fine Paints Of Europe Help

What surface is the ceiling? Wood? Drywall? ... If drywall.. slick finish or stipple (texture)?

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson View Post
My client has asked for me to paint her ceiling and door in main bathroom in the FPOE Brilliant. She wants the mirror gloss that has become popular around here. I have never painted with this paint, I have used BM High Gloss oil products in the past like there Super spec DTM or Super spec oil high gloss.
My question is that we have only ever done trim in these high gloss paints, I really want to do the best possible job for this client as cost is not even in the equation. I was looking for some idea how to prep the ceiling, for sure it has latex on it at the moment.
ANy help would be great
I wonder if you might need to spray it (after some serious prep and leveling). Any clues from the BM dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 344

FPOE used to have some pretty strict guidelines about application of their products. Have you checked their website?

For a really high gloss finish you better make sure that ceiling is perfectly flat and smooth or it's going to show up. I'd check it, at very tight angles, with a high wattage light.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (12-16-2014), CarpenterSFO (12-20-2014), ToolNut (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting & repairs
Rewards Points: 508

FPOE is something not used everyday not trying to hiss anybody off but you may be better off posting this on Paint Talk. Only because I think you will find more guys over there that have experience with the products.

This stuff runs over $100 a gallon as does their primer. So really not a good time for a learning curve.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolNut For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (12-20-2014), Lugnut1968 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Send the homeowner back to the paint store to get a referral to a painter who has used the stuff. But if you really want to do it yourself, make up a couple of sample pieces, similar to the ceiling and the door, not aiming for perfection, but including the flaws and imperfections of the real surfaces. Prep and paint and get the homeowner's signed approval. When it's done, and the homeowner has expressed her dissatisfaction with the result, get out the signed samples.

I went throught the whole routine on a door and jamb a few years back. The homeowner didn't hold the results against me (I had her signed approval of the sample, which closely matched the final results). Nonetheless, she went back to the paint store, got the referral, and had the painter do it. About a week later, she called me up and had me come back and paint it all over with semi-gloss.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
Send the homeowner back to the paint store to get a referral to a painter who has used the stuff. But if you really want to do it yourself, make up a couple of sample pieces, similar to the ceiling and the door, not aiming for perfection, but including the flaws and imperfections of the real surfaces. Prep and paint and get the homeowner's signed approval. When it's done, and the homeowner has expressed her dissatisfaction with the result, get out the signed samples.

I went throught the whole routine on a door and jamb a few years back. The homeowner didn't hold the results against me (I had her signed approval of the sample, which closely matched the final results). Nonetheless, she went back to the paint store, got the referral, and had the painter do it. About a week later, she called me up and had me come back and paint it all over with semi-gloss.
That's good advice. Designers, decorators and HO's want upscale finishes that they think will look a certain way. No matter how much experience you have it can look like crap.

I ounce had a designer have me paint bathroom walls and ceilings with silver Rustoleum like you use on a chain link fence. It looked like hell, the HO hated it, I ended up using it as a base coat for a rag finish.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,196

Not kidding the stuffs not cheap I picked it all up today. One small pot primer, one small pot paint swedish putty and all the sand paper was $250.
We are T&M so if she doesn't like it. I can paint it again. I will take some before and after pics
Old 12-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I have never used this stuff but after putting a gloss on a ceiling once I wouldn't want to do it again. The ceiling looked perfect under my lights and after primer then bang every tiny imperfection showed its ugly face.

Curious to know how this goes.

Advertisement