Crappy Paint!!!! - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Crappy Paint!!!!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

Crappy Paint!!!!

Ok. So I did the deed and let the customer supply the paint. "We are going to get Benjamin Moore." Ok I thought can't really go wrong with that.

Go to pick up the paint and they have Kilz Odorless and Sherwin Williams Pro Classic. Great. Pro classic is ok but there are other paints I prefer for spray application.

Crack open the Kilz Odorless and it is paste. My Graco 390 has some difficulty priming it!!! Pour about a quart of spirits in it to thin it down and there is a marginal improvement. It will actually prime and sort of shoot if I use double the pressure I normally would. Shot the doors and drawers in my shop. And then spent four hours sanding off the tailing.

That was a couple days ago. Came time today to paint the on site boxes at the hos house. I swear to god I would pull the trigger, get 36 inches of spray and either the pump would fail reprime or the tip (brand new) would clog. Took me 2.5 hours to spray primer on kitchen cabinets, walls and ceilings. fme

Moral of the story. Hos never ever ever supply what they say they are going to supply.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
semi-skilled laborer

Trade: Professional Painting
Rewards Points: 1,186

Re: Crappy Paint!!!!

Did you strain the paint ? I strain everything before it goes into my sprayer. I started doing this after finding small rocks in an unopened 5 of dryfall.
I also change and clean my filters very often, I know guys who will leave the same filters in for years and then get pissed when the tip keeps clogging. These same guys will run alkyd and latex through the same pump without even cleaning it very well.
Strain the paint and use new filters, good tips, clean guns, and a little thinning when needed usually works for me. Thats not to say that this batch of paint might not have been bad, the HO could have been setting on it for years before giving it to you to use.

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting - Restoration
Rewards Points: 250

I put my pump in an out-house once to see if it would spray ****....nope, didnt work...

Now, why i tried to put complete crap through my pump... um, who knows...

Im being fesecious if you hadnt noticed =)

((tease))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

Yeah yeah yeah. I clean my filters at the end of each day. They're immaculate.

This particular batch of Kilz was either seriously old or a bad batch. I bought a couple new gallons to finish and it was much less viscous and ran just fine. There was no particulate in the first batch, it was just super thick.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting - Restoration
Rewards Points: 250

Who knows.. Maybe the 5 was sitting around at the store for a long time and your customer didnt know any better to have it mxd. At any rate, i always ask where it comes from, how old it is before i use it.. Should filter any customers paint no matter what anyways. Hell ive been known to strain good paint just to be 100% sure my surface wasnt going to get fked up by a stupid mishap.