Cinder Block Walls, Block Filler And A Leak...question - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Cinder Block Walls, Block Filler And A Leak...question

Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #1

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 75

Cinder Block Walls, Block Filler And A Leak...question

We've got about a 40,000 sq ft building with block wall in the warehouse.

We've just about got a coat of block filler on the walls.

Now it looks like there is a leak from the roof (standing water, gutters clogged) that may be getting water in between the blocks on one back side of the warehouse.

I've spoken to about 4 very well versed painters and 3 of the 4 tell me there's no way the paint will cure correctly and it will peel off. I believe these guys. The one guy who tells me otherwise is my dang foreman.

My foreman has a ton of experience painting warehouse block walls and he swears to me there will not be a problem. He says a good layer of block filler and a good finish coat will do the trick.

Is there any reason to believe the leak won't cause the paint to peel off? My foreman says the water may come through, but it will not push the paint off the block.

I don't believe him. Should I?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Cinder Block Walls, Block Filler And A Leak...question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanATL View Post
Is there any reason to believe the leak won't cause the paint to peel off?
I personally feel that it wont cause a problem. Water traveling through the block is a tough thing if it's not continually being soaked or under ground where it can constantly sit and leach. In your case it sounds like it will dry out as fast as it came in. Hopefully this was an isolated incident and you've fixed the water issue.

Good luck Sean

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
My custom title

Trade: Painting, faux, rock, plaster, texture, tile, laminates, finish carpentry contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Your screwed, it will create a problem, call my dad at benchmark fixture and he can lead you through a fix....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
Paint does a lot more than put color on a surface. It protects surfaces, it can reduce maintenance costs, it can enhance lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting

Not sure, but have read on labels of block filler 5's, that if surface is to dry, shoot some water on it for better penetration before block filling. Not saying surface should be filled during a downpour or with water running on it, just that if it is damp you should'nt have a problem...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #5

Trade: Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz the Painter View Post
Not sure, but have read on labels of block filler 5's, that if surface is to dry, shoot some water on it for better penetration before block filling. Not saying surface should be filled during a downpour or with water running on it, just that if it is damp you should'nt have a problem...
What about with the top coat? The block filler will penetrate the block and be fine, but will the top coat be ok?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanATL View Post
What about with the top coat? The block filler will penetrate the block and be fine, but will the top coat be ok?
You should let the walls dry and fix the leak before finish coat...
Old 06-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
MFWIC

Trade: house painter
Rewards Points: 250

Ask your foreman:

if you DO seal the block, then paint, WHERE will the water go ?

How many layers of paint will it take to support the weight of the water?

I DO KNOW simple groundwater will lift epoxy up off a prepped concrete slab in the most horrible looking blisters you EVER saw!

You need to paint the OUTSIDE of a boat 1st ...

If you can't stop the water leak, best to apply just 1 lite color coat over the block (when dry) and let the water continue bleeding thru.
r
Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
Epoxy Dude

Trade: Industrial Coatings & Linings
Rewards Points: 150

From my perspective... you have not given anyone here enough information to answer your question with any certainty. So far, your foreman is the only one who knows what is happening. If you don't trust this guy... FIRE HIM! What is the point of having anyone working for your that you don't trust?

First... are we supposed to assume that you are using an acrylic block filler? Was the block dry when you applied it? How long did it have to cure before the water leak happened? What is the topcoat chemistry going to be?

Quote:
I DO KNOW simple groundwater will lift epoxy up off a prepped concrete slab in the most horrible looking blisters you EVER saw!
I would disagree with this in that this is a REALLY broad statement. This will not happen to all epoxies. We have NEVER had a failure. That means... it depends on the product.

Sean, I don't know if the next thing I say will help or not. But, are you looking at the big picture? What if you topcoat it and it DOES fail? Obviously, you can't be responsible for a roof leak. I know we all want to do the best job we can... but... sometimes things are out of your control and not your responsibility? Is this?

http://www.wolverinecoatings.com/Pic...kids&paint.gif
Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
MFWIC

Trade: house painter
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine-Eric View Post
From my perspective... you have not given anyone here enough information to answer your question with any certainty. So far, your foreman is the only one who knows what is happening. If you don't trust this guy... FIRE HIM! What is the point of having anyone working for your that you don't trust?

First... are we supposed to assume that you are using an acrylic block filler? Was the block dry when you applied it? How long did it have to cure before the water leak happened? What is the topcoat chemistry going to be?

I would disagree with this in that this is a REALLY broad statement. This will not happen to all epoxies. We have NEVER had a failure. That means... it depends on the product.

Sean, I don't know if the next thing I say will help or not. But, are you looking at the big picture? What if you topcoat it and it DOES fail? Obviously, you can't be responsible for a roof leak. I know we all want to do the best job we can... but... sometimes things are out of your control and not your responsibility? Is this?
Hi Eric, ok, I stand corrected... I DID make a really broad statement! I shoulda said I have seen ground water lift an A B epoxy coating used over concrete slab in the most horrible looking blisters I've ever seen! (( will )) was a mistake. glad you caught it! Your assessment of the whole situation is right on. ..If the painter is asked to apply color to a grotto, he won't get paid unless he does it... Ha! He might advise the client there will be no warranty unless the source of that water is repaired. (Would that be an acceptable way to put it?) r
Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Project Manager and Builder

Dap 1 Masonry Bonding Liquid Use as a concrete glue and use it in cement, plaster, waterproof cement paint, stucco and floor leveling compounds. Provides maximum adhesion and superior results. Interior/exterior. As the others have stated a bonding agent.

Advertisement

Last edited by RED HORSE 554; 03-09-2009 at 03:36 PM.