Bathroom Re-paint...sand/paint Or Primer/paint? - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Bathroom Re-paint...sand/paint Or Primer/paint?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom Re-paint...sand/paint Or Primer/paint?

After a short hiatus to get my painting business up and running, I'm finally back on here to get berated some more.

I'm doing a bathroom that already has what looks like semi-gloss, or MAYBE a slightly less dull sheen on the walls.

She wants me to paint about the same sheen on the walls, but change the color from what looks like a bright yellow, to '4002-9c Purple Whisper' from Valspar.

My question is: Would it be best to lightly sand, dust, then paint one coat of the purple, or just prime and paint.

There isn't any prep work that needs to be done, apparently the previous owners took care of their house, unlike some places I've seen in a few jobs.

I was going to just paint it, but I remembered someone on here saying something like sheen over sheen won't stick, or somthing along those lines.

Any kind-hearted people out there willing to give advice on this particular job, besides of course the snide remarks?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Bathroom Re-paint...sand/paint Or Primer/paint?

The new acrylic paints that are sold today stick real well, how else would we ever be able to multi-coat anything.With that said we lightly sand everything even between coats for burs etc. and we use a pole sander with worn 100 grit or a lg sponge sander. so its,,,sand lightly, wipe down paint, repeat until coverage and sheen are achieved.Are you a pro painter?Training?

P.S. check out the DIY forum,,,lotto goodies on there too.

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. According to most of the people on here, I'm not a 'professional', since I haven't been doing it for 20 years, but I started my business in April, and am learning as I go.

So primering it, then painting it wouldn't work, or is sanding/painting the way you prefer to do it? I'll do it either way, I just want to know the best way, as I've heard either way works.

Thanks again for your reply. I hope to get more. And if someone doesn't feel like replying, just PM me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Primers serve a purpose, depending on the need.When going from acrylic semi-gloss to acrilyc satin scuff sanding is 'nough. I actually scuff before I prime, as it is just a natural step.To scuff sand an average bath=15 minutes,1 pole sander,1piece for hand. To prime2hrs and $20 primer WHEW!. Now if there are issues then primer has a role. You need to get tight with your S.W. reps and store persons, and BTW most of us "pros" learned the same way you are. You are going about this the right way as the forum is rich with info, now just don't ask how much$$$$$

Last edited by davy crockett; 06-09-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: doublepost
Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #5

Ok, so just get some what, 120 grit sandpaper? Then just lightly sand the whole bathroom, wipe off with a dry rag, then paint?

Because yeah, if it's that simple to sand the glossy paint, and just put new glossy paint on a lightly sanded surface, I can knock my bid down a little bit since I won't have to buy primer or have to charge for the labor to put the primer on.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: hack painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneelwayfan_com View Post
My question is: Would it be best to lightly sand, dust, then paint one coat of the purple, or just prime and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneelwayfan_com View Post
According to most of the people on here, I'm not a 'professional', since I haven't been doing it for 20 years
No.
You're not a 'professional', because you don't know how to paint.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Perfessional Contracter
Rewards Points: 502

"There isn't any prep work to be done"

Guess you said it all right there. Just mask around the switch plates and let 'er rip.

Go to home Barnes and Noble and buy as many painting books as you can find, read them then turn pro.

Sorry, guess I had a rough day
Old 06-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

Purples can be tricky, remember there is a red component in there. Often they require grey scale primers. The folks at Blowes probably won't know what that is. You should primer and my guess is your purple will be truer to the chip if you add some black to the primer.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

also,

when I used valspar last, the first time was the last time, I found it to have a long cure time that was easily exacerbated by normal humidity conditions. When the customer complains that they can scrape the paint off the wall with their finger nail tell them the ambient humidity in the bathroom is slowing the already slow curing process of their box store paint.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: hack painting

Then you can also tell the customer that you don't know what you're doing, and apologize for misrepresenting yourself as a painter.

Why don't you just call yourself a mechanic, open an auto repair shop, and then go on the internet and ask real mechanics how to fix whatever comes in the door?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

If you get your primer tinted to a lighter color of what you are painting (especially if its a dark color), you will be a happy painter. Purple over yellow will require at least two coats anyhow.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:32 AM   #12
paper hanger,painter

Trade: wallpaper hanger,painter
Rewards Points: 4

from Valspar.

As been posted, a real painter would not use this crap. That being said, sand,lightly, and paint.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
vandy

Trade: painting, decorating, wallcovering
Rewards Points: 250

sand lightly
patch
paint

-don't knock your bid down either.

an average bathroom should only take a few hours anyway.

also, get yourself an account at a Sherwin Williams. They can color match to Valspar, Behr, etc...

Advertisement

Last edited by vandyandsons; 06-11-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: adding to