Baseboard Thickness - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Baseboard Thickness

Old 11-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 22
Question

Baseboard Thickness

I have always figured a 1 1/2" overhang on the top of a piece of furniture should allow it to be pushed right up to the wall with no gap, but is this enough? Too much? A lot of newer construction has 1/2" - 3/4" MDF baseboard that can flex vertically to cover up gaps due to floor height inconsistencies, but I have seen quarter round used to seal off that gap where solid wood was used, particularly in older houses. At least, I assume that's what that strip is for.

Is thicker common? Should I be going with 2" overhang, or even more? In my mind, clearance for outlet access is secondary to interior volume, so I'm looking for the minimum overhang for 99% of construction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Re: Baseboard Thickness

1/2 to 3/4 for base. 3/8 to 1/2 for shoe.

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

Most furniture I have seen and in my house does not sit up to the wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofcheck For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (11-27-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #4

jlsconstruction: Thanks for the info! Is this just what's currently available or what has been pretty much standard for the past 50+ years?

Roofcheck:
That's pretty true for a lot of furniture, from plain particle-board box furniture to super-fancy solid-wood stuff with fat feet. It's fine for most people, but it absolutely drives me nuts to keep having pencils roll off and fall into cracks, or small objects tip back and hang over the edge, leaning against the wall.

Of course for electrical cords the gap is very useful because the cord can go over the edge wherever the appliance rests. But the owner should be able to choose whether to push it all the way back or leave that gap, so it makes more sense to have the overhang than to not have it.

I admit this is a nit-picky thing to be considering, but I want to get it right.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Usually what I put in now is 1/2" base with 3/8th shoe. I remodel houses mostly, and they have 3/4 base with 1/2 shoe
Old 11-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

Sounds like 1 1/4" is a pretty good bet, then. To be safe, I'll keep my extra 1/4", but more would probably be excessive.

Thanks for the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to jfishel For This Useful Post:
jlsconstruction (11-27-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

95% of hte baseboard i use is 3/4 " thick and base shoe is 11/16"

the biggest worry about baseboard thickness for me is the comparison to the thickness of hte casing to baseboard.. if the base is thicker than the casing a plinth block should be used for the casing to sit on.. otherwise you have to either return the baseboard or make a bevel cut on the end so it doesnt stand out proud of the face of the casing where they meet

Advertisement