Applying Krud Kutter - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Applying Krud Kutter

Old 07-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 5,074

Applying Krud Kutter

Name fits. Went through some jugs of KK recently and it does what they say. Can honestly say that the solution exceeded my expectations in removing nicotine.

While being reasonable; this might be helpful to some;

- buy many rolls of paper towels for larger projects, discard into a ready lined trash can when wiping.

- do NOT let dry on surfaces like glass or fiberglass (especially at full strength). It may prove more than difficult to get off, possibly etching. Glass may need to be razored. Fiberglass...?

- their red label packaging in the spray bottles does seep away from the inside onto wherever you are setting. Cutting this liner off prevents from happening (mentioned elsewhere here on CT?).

- maker warns that it is an eye and skin irritant. Rubber gloves are a must (cause ear aches?).

- some believe in the extra step/rinse wipe afterward and some don't.
Do believers have a lot of time on their hands?

Anything to add?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Applying Krud Kutter

Serious cleaning I put it in a pump up 1 gallon garden sprayer or a 2 1/2 gallon deck sprayer. Deck sprayer is usually for floors.

Scrubbing or wiping I'll use something with a handle as much as possible. Paper towels are for smaller areas.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
artinall (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Serious cleaning I put it in a pump up 1 gallon garden sprayer or a 2 1/2 gallon deck sprayer. Deck sprayer is usually for floors.

Scrubbing or wiping I'll use something with a handle as much as possible. Paper towels are for smaller areas.
Actually I used paper towels on everything from natural stained windows, trim..to ceiling fans. Going over 2 - 3 times. Was seriously thick..clogged fast..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
Actually I used paper towels on everything from natural stained windows, trim..to ceiling fans. Going over 2 - 3 times. Was seriously thick..clogged fast..
Paper towels except in large flat surfaces like ceilings and walls. For those, I use one designed For floors that you can quick change a Terry cloth cleaning towel. I just buy stacks of the towels and launder them.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,338

I've used KK. I prefer JASCO'S No Rinse TSP Substitute. Concentrated, cuts thru smoke/nicotine like you wouldn't believe. KK costs $7.09 per spray bottle. JASCO concentrate make up to 5 gallons for the same price. At Ace Hardware, Tru Value, Amazon, to name a few.

Last edited by Caslon; 07-22-2019 at 06:01 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caslon For This Useful Post:
artinall (07-22-2019), hdavis (07-22-2019), MarkJames (07-22-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,818

I have used KK several times and it does get the job done. TSP is my go to cleaner and then KK if something heavier duty is needed. I do rinse it afterwards.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
I have used KK several times and it does get the job done. TSP is my go to cleaner and then KK if something heavier duty is needed. I do rinse it afterwards.
You can vary the concentration of JASCO in water, making it stronger than KK in some regards. I rinse after JASCO. No-Rinse means you use it at its most diluted, which I never do.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I've used KK. I prefer JASCO'S No Rinse TSP Substitute. Concentrated, cuts thru smoke/nicotine like you wouldn't believe. KK costs $7.09 per spray bottle. JASCO concentrate make up to 5 gallons for the same price. At Ace Hardware, Tru Value, Amazon, to name a few.

KK is sold in 1 gallon concentrate for about $14. You mix up a few ounces with water and put in your own spray bottle. It goes a long way.

Never tried the TSP substitute but based on your review may give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
KK claims it is eco friendly. Do you rinse to get away the final residue? Or neutralize?
Old 07-23-2019, 12:13 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-B View Post
KK is sold in 1 gallon concentrate for about $14. You mix up a few ounces with water and put in your own spray bottle. It goes a long way.

Never tried the TSP substitute but based on your review may give it a shot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Did not know KK came in concentrate, thanks. KK may have surfacants and other chemicial ingredients that JASCO No Rinse TSP concentrate may not have. Either of these products work well. TSP powder is almost archaic. Spic and Span was green colored scented TSP powder.

Last edited by Caslon; 07-23-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 352

I use Dirtex as a standard, light duty, cleaner for paint prep. Used a ton of TSP in the day but the rinsing is a bear and more moisture is rarely a good thing.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (07-23-2019)