Any Advice On Painting Brick? - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Any Advice On Painting Brick?

Old 03-16-2019, 11:47 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

Any Advice On Painting Brick?

I'm doing a job for my HOA, painting our exterior brick walls.. they are old and have been previously painted. There is a lot of mold on the side where the sun don't shine but the paint really isn't in too bad of shape. There are some areas where it's peeling and it's going to need a good pressure washing before anything is done.

I know that the pressure washer is going to knock quite a bit of the paint off of the brick, but I don't want to quote them on primer and paint because I know there's not that much money available. I'm at $5,000 already for the pressure washing alone and I'm not going to paint without primer because I'm not a hack. So I'm wondering if there's a one coat product out there that will give me really good adhesion and last a long time. The most important factor aside from adhesion is non yellowing /uv & mold resistant.

I found some self cleaning coatings that sound promising, but I suppose anything with a sheen would shed dirt upon contact with water. So that's prob just a BS selling point.. ie the ol' okie-doke strategy.

I had a friend that bought some duct tape one time that you could write on. It was white and came with a sharpie! That was their selling point. It's writable! My friend was so proud showing it to me, "isn't this cool!" he said.. to which I replied yeah that's way different from regular duct tape that you can write on with a sharpie you stupid dumb idiot. He thought about it for a second and then just threw it on the floor and said, "damn it they got me again!"

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Stelzer Painting Inc.

Trade: 1721
Rewards Points: 524

Re: Any Advice On Painting Brick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
I'm doing a job for my HOA, painting our exterior brick walls.. they are old and have been previously painted. There is a lot of mold on the side where the sun don't shine but the paint really isn't in too bad of shape. There are some areas where it's peeling and it's going to need a good pressure washing before anything is done.

I know that the pressure washer is going to knock quite a bit of the paint off of the brick, but I don't want to quote them on primer and paint because I know there's not that much money available. I'm at $5,000 already for the pressure washing alone and I'm not going to paint without primer because I'm not a hack. So I'm wondering if there's a one coat product out there that will give me really good adhesion and last a long time. The most important factor aside from adhesion is non yellowing /uv & mold resistant.

I found some self cleaning coatings that sound promising, but I suppose anything with a sheen would shed dirt upon contact with water. So that's prob just a BS selling point.. ie the ol' okie-doke strategy.

I had a friend that bought some duct tape one time that you could write on. It was white and came with a sharpie! That was their selling point. It's writable! My friend was so proud showing it to me, "isn't this cool!" he said.. to which I replied yeah that's way different from regular duct tape that you can write on with a sharpie you stupid dumb idiot. He thought about it for a second and then just threw it on the floor and said, "damn it they got me again!"
It's a bit ironic that you share a story where the premise is getting duped by marketing jargon, yet you're asking for a product recommendation based on one of the biggest gimmicks ever to exist in architectural coatings; the "Primer & Paint in One". Although there are self-sealing products, there's no such thing as primer & paint in one. You'll need a masonry conditioner for areas where raw block is exposed and a block filler topcoat. If you don't mind Sherwin Williams, their Loxon is a pretty solid product.

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,640

Loxon, top coat from there.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Pro

Well I wasn't really asking for a paint & primer included product, everybody knows that's a bunch of crap. but moreso a coating of some sort. Like elastomeric or any other products that adhere to brick. I don't know what's available... I'm not a painter. I know how to paint and have painted more than my fair share of crap, I just don't really like doing it. Fortunately I'm just bossing folks around on this one. Just wanted to give the HOA some options.

I did actually already choose the Loxon product for this job.. that's the self cleaning products I was referring to. That's kind of what made me start doubting what I had chosen. But if you say it's a good product... I'll take your word for it
Old 03-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,640

Use the Loxon primer not a the XP. Once primed top coat, I'd probably use Emerald.

Tom
Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,800

Loxon masonry primer with top coat of choice is one option. Option 2 is two coats of Loxon XP, which is self priming.

I would go with the XP.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
Pro

That Loxon XP is supposed to be applied at 14-18 mils! How the heck do I get that on a vertical surface? 2 wet coats?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
Pro

I aim for 100 sq ft per gallon. Put it on as thick as you can, its a great product.
I say "am i suppose to trowel it on?"
Old 03-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
test

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
Loxon masonry primer with top coat of choice is one option. Option 2 is two coats of Loxon XP, which is self priming.

I would go with the XP.
I was going to recommend this primer, https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Pre...8001/100129649
I have has no issues with it. I'm wondering if this is the same type of product your recommending. It's basicly glue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
Pro

Cedarboarder, I can not get your link to work, I am unfamiliar with the Behr products. A masonry primer needs to withstand a certain PH level or it will break down. Check the MSDS to see if it is suitable for masonry. All Loxon products are made for masonry application.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpainting View Post
It's a bit ironic that you share a story where the premise is getting duped by marketing jargon, yet you're asking for a product recommendation based on one of the biggest gimmicks ever to exist in architectural coatings;
Next up on the list are "life coat" texture painting companies that exclaim you'll never have to paint your house again! The thing is, smog, dust and dirt will discolor ANY exterior coating over time. What then? You can't waterblast it off because smog and dirt imbeds itself into their coating. THEN, when you go to remedy that by spraying over it with conventional paint, you need to spray on a lot more paint to cover because the textured coating (crushed up walnut shells) is like a sponge. They fail to mention that in their ads.

Last edited by Caslon; 03-23-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:57 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,286

Repeated post by error, deleted. No post delete capabilities on this forum.

Last edited by Caslon; 03-23-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 4,848

If there is any surface spalling/popping of brick surfaces before you start painting I'd write in some sort of exclusion and make sure your product won't worsen it or is rated. Have seen many cases of spalling due to trapped moisture and freeze/thaw cycles. Which may be a non-issue in Dallas. However I don't know if that's where you are actually doing this work though.

I've painted some brick but not a huge fan as you can tell.

Last edited by artinall; 03-23-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #14

Trade: Industrial Painting
Rewards Points: 10

I have run in to several projects like this, being from Ohio, mold is always an issue. I would highly recommend following your local paint rep’s suggestions. At minimum, at least you would have him in your back pocket should any issues arise. In my journeys, under similar conditions, I’ve had paint reps reccomend a masonary conditioner prior to any finish. Take it from an old timer, trust the rep!
Old 03-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #15
test

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
Cedarboarder, I can not get your link to work, I am unfamiliar with the Behr products. A masonry primer needs to withstand a https://images.homedepot-static.com/...7e0.pdfcertain PH level or it will break down. Check the MSDS to see if it is suitable for masonry. All Loxon products are made for masonry application.
here is a better link. TDS sheet link.
Im not a big of behr products but this primer isn't bad.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...82041e17e0.pdf

Advertisement