3/8 To 1/4 Paint Line Or 1/4 All The Way For Primer? - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

3/8 To 1/4 Paint Line Or 1/4 All The Way For Primer?

Old 05-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: ceiling texture
Rewards Points: 74

3/8 To 1/4 Paint Line Or 1/4 All The Way For Primer?

Had the mark iv for a while and still havnt used it. going to start using it daily (hopefully) just for latex primer until I secure some level 5/or other coatings work.

now just for primer...

It came with 2 3/8 x 50 feet attached. I have 3 1/4 x 50 feet lines.

I need to run 100 feet and sometimes 150.

From my research they say 50 feet 3/8 from machine then down to 1/4. 3/8 helps for extended pump life and no pressure loss.

Any reason I don't just run 1/4 from the machine? save on material waste during clean up and easier to move around.

Thanks for opinions

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,794

Re: 3/8 To 1/4 Paint Line Or 1/4 All The Way For Primer?

I usually run 100 foot hoses, 50' of 3/8" and 50' of 1/4", if i need another 50' then i usually add another 1/4" hose if it will only be for a short period and dial up the pressure some. If i was running 150' hoses daily then i would go with 2 sections of the larger hose. It is all about pump wear and tear.

The larger hose first off the pump will have less restriction thus allowing more flow / pressure at the gun. If the pressure is too low at the nozzle due to too thick of a product through too small of a hose then you could have spray pattern issues such as tails, and improper atomizing of the paint, no amount of dialing up the pressure will fix it because you are maxed out.
On the other hand, some thinner products may go through 100' of 1/4" hose just fine without pump maxed out, if that is your case then that is good and all is well.

Long and short of it, if you run all 1/4" hose for 100' or 150' your pump will probably have to work at max pressure to overcome the hose restriction and you could still have spray pattern issues. Over time you will reduce the life of your sprayer as it is working so hard to push product.

Some products require all 3/8" hose such as block fillers (not what you asked about i know).

As far as clean up and material waste, it seems you waste more paint with the larger hose, i try to chase the paint out of the hose with water, but usually i do not clean my hoses out until job is over, i just recirculate water in the pump at end of the day and leave hoses full of paint. So if making lots of changes due to color changes or product changes then i can see where the paint waste is an issue, otherwise just allow for the waste when pricing the job.

Mobility, yea the big hoses suck. I have a reel on my big sprayer and i love it. Hope this helps.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ohio painter; 05-07-2018 at 09:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
micahmye (05-11-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
New Guy

Exactly what I needed.

Gonna leave the 100 on the machine. Its the contractor unit so it has a reel, and I should only need 50 feet inside. Which I will attach the 1/4.
minimal dealing with big hose.

If I plan to prime 2000 sq ft a day, 5 days a week, could I/should I leave paint in the line, and just run water through on prime?, and do one big good clean up for the weekend to flush the line out? with spirits or some paint thinner.

Material waste is not something I should worry about too much as primer is cheap and basically is priced into the job.

Thanks for the thorough explanations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Pro

I will assume you are using latex as you mentioned in the first post. I leave latex paint in the lines over night and over the weekend with no issues. If I know it will be longer then I flush out the hoses.
Paint doesn't dry in the can so why would it dry in the hose?

At the end of each work day I flush water through the pump only. I will recirculate 5 gal of water (prime position on pump) then run another 5 gal of water through the pump but put the small return line into a seperate bucket (not recirculate it) that is it.

For flushing hoses I only flush latex hoses with water. I remove the gun and pump water through hose until it runs clean, reattach gun and spray until it is clean.
Don't forget you rinse you filters. Talking of which, I love the Graco Contractor spray guns - the filter inside the handle can be remove without using tools, very slick and easy to service, well worth their cost.
Hope all this helps.

PS. I don't use mineral sprits or paint thinner for cleaning latex.

Last edited by Ohio painter; 05-08-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Pro

At the end of a job the sprayer gets a thorough cleaning, all hoses, pump, and strip down guns. Store pump with Pump Armor in it rather than water if it will be sitting for more than a couple of weeks until next job.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:03 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
At the end of a job the sprayer gets a thorough cleaning, all hoses, pump, and strip down guns. Store pump with Pump Armor in it rather than water if it will be sitting for more than a couple of weeks until next job.
Off topic maybe, but "Pump Armour" is such a rip off, price wise. It's not concentrated. A quart of "Pump Saver Plus" concentrated solution costs the same as a quart of Pump Armour but makes 8 gallons ! I love Graco products but have never forgiven them for "Pump Armour." I also never re-use these types of water based pump saving solutions.

Last edited by Caslon; 05-09-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
Pro

Caslon, I agree it is pricy stuff, I was not aware of the alternative. Thanks for the heads up.
I quit storing my sprayer with paint thinner as it was a hassle to flush out that pint or two of thinner / water mix, then it sits in a coffee can in the van all day. The pump armor does allow me to flush it out easy and get to work.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,286

Quote:
I quit storing my sprayer with paint thinner as it was a hassle to flush out that pint or two of thinner / water mix, then it sits in a coffee can in the van all day. The pump armor does allow me to flush it out easy and get to work.
I use latex with my airless exclusively. Even tho the hose would be drained out beforehand using thinner, I don't like the idea of ANY paint thinner sitting in my line, nor the pump housing. I foresee any remnant latex paint remaining turning gooey by the thinner.

Last edited by Caslon; 05-09-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #9
New Guy

Quote:
I will assume you are using latex as you mentioned in the first post. I leave latex paint in the lines over night and over the weekend with no issues. If I know it will be longer then I flush out the hoses.
Paint doesn't dry in the can so why would it dry in the hose?

At the end of each work day I flush water through the pump only. I will recirculate 5 gal of water (prime position on pump) then run another 5 gal of water through the pump but put the small return line into a seperate bucket (not recirculate it) that is it.

For flushing hoses I only flush latex hoses with water. I remove the gun and pump water through hose until it runs clean, reattach gun and spray until it is clean.
Don't forget you rinse you filters. Talking of which, I love the Graco Contractor spray guns - the filter inside the handle can be remove without using tools, very slick and easy to service, well worth their cost.
Hope all this helps.

PS. I don't use mineral sprits or paint thinner for cleaning latex.
yup. you are the man. thanks for all the help.

I was really wondering about the water vs paint thinner for just latex.
And wasnt sure about pump armor vs thinner vs winshield washer fluid and anything else they suggest when storing. Pump armor alternative you posted Carlson looks interesting. Not too concerned about cost more about quality and ease of use.

Contractor gun looks bad ass compared to the old titan consumer guns and ya after you said that I went and popped the filter out easy!

Interested to see what the fast flush is all about, if its just a time saver of a better clean.

And ya Im gonna make sure to clean those filters real nice.

Just primed two 900 sq ft basements before knockdown today USING MY OLD TITAN 330. lol.
homedepot special I have been buying and chucking without cleaning once. just latex in the line and run it till she quits. get about a year and a half out of them.current one never flushed the line once. hahaha. clown show.
Finally taking my business serious now.

Not sure why I'm nervous to use the mark iv to just prime. lol. Such a big beast gonna take some adjusting to find the perfect pressure and tip size for latex and then for level 5 products.

Stepping up to the mark iv I feel like I am learning from the start again.

Not sure what else you could teach me Ohio Painter. You have been very thorough.
I appreciate your time for the educating!

THANKS AGAIN MY FRIEND!
The Following User Says Thank You to textureking For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
Pro

Glad to help.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #11
New Guy

Today I had the day off so I...

Primed with mineral spirits to remove packing oil.

And then tested out different pressures spraying latex primer on the wall.

Seemed like around 2000 psi was the sweet spot. Not sure If that is the usual working pressure.

Everything is ready to go for two basements I will be priming tomorrow so I can do some minor adjustments to find what works best.

Really like how everything is working so far EXCEPT I saw a little drip that looked like it had some oil mixed in coming from above the prime/spray switch and under the filter housing.
Really hope I just spilled something there when it was leaned back on the stand and not a crack.
If I see it again I will try tightening everything or might have to send her back for a new one?

Not really any questions just thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails
3/8 to 1/4 paint line or 1/4 all the way for primer?-20180514_152120.jpg  
Old 05-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #12
Pro

Just a little info, usually the MSDS for the product you are using should have tip size info and pressure info. I usually aim to spray at 2200psi.
As far as the oil, if you had a crack in the housing then it most likely would not prime.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #13
New Guy

Quote:
Just a little info, usually the MSDS for the product you are using should have tip size info and pressure info. I usually aim to spray at 2200psi.
As far as the oil, if you had a crack in the housing then it most likely would not prime.
Ok I was thinking I might need to increase the psi a bit so 2200 is probably perfect. thanks for that.
Cant remember the tip size, let me run out to the garage.... lol
A blue 425. was planning on swinging by pumpworks because they have some fine finish low pressure green tips that look interesting. sprayer has green dial before you reach half pressure. not sure if that applies to me.

If you have any advice for tip size for latex primer, water based stain blockers, and sherwin williams builders solution level 5 coating (or similar product, i think it has a heavy duty product in there) I would like to roll around with a few tips for each product.

Going to have to etransfer you some lunch money for all the advice.

Thanks Ohio
Ohio painter (05-15-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #14
New Guy

I put lots of packing oil on the packings . hoping that is what I saw. ya it primed and sprayed fine so a leak/crack is probably not the case. doing some research. I use kilz pva primer. msds

Says
Airless Spray: Fluid pressure of 2,500 - 3,200 psi
Tip: .015" - .021

Dont fully understand beyond the 3 number like 515 etc,

Last edited by textureking; 05-14-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #15
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by textureking View Post

Dont fully understand beyond the 3 number like 515 etc,
ok now i understand how it works. I should research before posting simple things/
Old 05-14-2018, 11:20 PM   #16
New Guy

just for another reply....

I guess the 425 tip I was planning on using tomorrow is larger than the recommended 15 to 21 in the msds.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #17
Pro

My go to tip size is usually 517. Your 425 is quite large so you will use more product.
No problem with the chat back and forth.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #18
Pro

Without precisely knowing your type of work, but you mention level 5 finish, I assume you spray and back roll. If so have you looked at the Graco Jet Roller? Great tool.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #19
New Guy

I am the king of texture aka the texture king.
I spray knockdown, splatter and crappy reg tex (popcorn).
Scrape old texture and apply knockdown or prep for paint.
Stain block old texture.
Looking to expand to anything I can spray that costs more than knockdown. I think my spraying skills are pretty damn good. 20 years painting and spraying.

Drove by sherwin williams so grabbed a 419 tip cause they didnt have any 500's for some reason. Didnt realize but the 3 foot extension I ordered came with a 517 tip. I think 517 will be my go to as well. I did not open the box until I got home today. lol

Bought a 15 inch extension but it did not have that contraption that stops the squirt of paint when you let go of the trigger. took that contraption off the long extension to attach to short extension for daily use and saw the tip.

I sat down and talked with sherwin williams about their level 5 product.
' BUILDERS SOLUTION Interior Latex Primer/Surfacer '

and apparently you take the drywall to level 4, sand it really well, then blow off all the dust or wet wipe (but my contractors are afraid wetting will damage tape.

Then you just spray on the builders solution product. self leveling. no back roll. let it dry and a light sand. some say no sand needed if you spray it on with no drips or heavy spots.

No sanding no back rolling. just cross hatch (one coat up and down, one coat side to side) AND YOU ARE DONE! sounds to good to be true. and I am eager to try it.

Plus my contractor pays 25 cents a coat times 3 coats to his taper to achieve level 5, then it still needs to be primed. If I can level 5 and prime in one shot could charge an arm and a leg and its easier than texture.
Ohio painter (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #20
New Guy

Quote:
Store pump with Pump Armor in it rather than water if it will be sitting for more than a couple of weeks until next job.
Forgive my ignorance. And I have been googling answers but...

Does this mean you are just flushing through the pump on prime and then it all drains out and then you seal off the drain hose and intake?

Or are you sealing fluid inside the pump on prime position somehow?

Also do you not recommend mineral spirits for short term (one week at the most) flushing out the pump? I just have a bunch and have not had the chance to get pump armor or similar.
I believe Calson said it makes the latex gooey?

Advertisement