Family Member Wants Me To Supervise Pool Reno.. Couple Questions For Ya - Pool Construction & Enclosures - Contractor Talk

Family Member Wants Me To Supervise Pool Reno.. Couple Questions For Ya

Old 11-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 20

Family Member Wants Me To Supervise Pool Reno.. Couple Questions For Ya

SO. my name is Bryan, nice to meet ya... im a general here in so cal. i advised my fam member that he needs to have his pool re plastered when changing the coping around his pool... i drained his pool a few days ago to check everything, the light in the pool is filled with water and needs to be replaced, there is only 1 return for the entire pool.. and his plaster has hairline cracks throughout. my suggestion is to tare out the coping, chip out the plaster back to the original gunite, replace the light, put in a hydrostatic valve in the bottom of it, new, coping, tile, and plaster, and put in a colored stamped concrete deck with new deck drains.... is there any way to get around not replastering the pool when the coping is changed... theres another contractor hes talking too that selling him on pavers for the deck, and travertine coping, and not re plastering anything. whatcha all think?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 28

Re: Family Member Wants Me To Supervise Pool Reno.. Couple Questions For Ya

Hi Bryan, Welcome to the site.

There is an area of the forum dedicated to swimming pools.

https://www.contractortalk.com/f76/

You might have better luck posing your questions in that area, but as far as responses go I don't know how much activity there is down there.

For what it's worth, I have seen pools decks completed with concrete pavers that hold up very well, I've seen some that turn out like crap after a few years. Proper installation is the key.

Best of luck.

Advertisement

www.gebcon.com
Old 11-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 50

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this project.

Let your family member contact a pool contractor of their choice and proceed with out your guidance.
CarpenterSFO (11-23-2014), rselectric1 (11-06-2014), tgeb (11-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #4

Trade: Masonry / tile
Rewards Points: 45

Bryan, i'll address your issues one by one:

1. Unless the light fixture is bad and will not come on, no need to replace it. Just change out the gasket and save yourself about $500.00.
2. You can replaster a pool without doing coping and tile or you can do coping and tile without plaster. It all depends on what you want to do.
3. If you do re-plaster, you do not need to chip off the old plaster, just hollow areas. Hairline cracks are normal, unless they are hollow.
4. If the pool has a floor drain there is a good chance you already have a hyrostatic valve. If not knock a hole in the floor and install one.
4a. Is the pool up to code in re-guards to suction entrapment codes? If your not sure look up the Virginia Graeme-Baker act of 2007.
You might need to address this before you procede.
5. As for the deck, do what you like best.