Coping- Poured Or Precast?? Newbie! - Pool Construction & Enclosures - Contractor Talk

Coping- Poured Or Precast?? Newbie!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

Coping- Poured Or Precast?? Newbie!

I'm new! I am a GC in Florida and am getting ready to put in a pool. I will be hiring a pool contractor. What I need help with is the coping!!! To pour concrete and color/texture etc. or set stone coping? I can't get a consistent response/recommendation. It's going to be a concrete/shot-crete pool approx 16x34 with a stamped concrete deck. I've been told that precast is better due to potential settling???? My only problem with precast is that it won't "blend" as well with stamped deck.
Any input/advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Tim

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor, Stamped Concrete, Pool Design
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Coping- Poured Or Precast?? Newbie!

I'm partial to stamped concrete coping!
Attached Thumbnails
Coping- Poured or Precast??  Newbie!-img_0705.jpg   Coping- Poured or Precast??  Newbie!-img_0387.jpg   Coping- Poured or Precast??  Newbie!-img_0004.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Contractor, Stamped Concrete, Pool Design

You can put an expansion joint between the coping wether it is concrete or precast, to allow for settling, or heaving in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #4

Trade: In-ground Swimming Pool Contractor

Sometimes contrast is a good thing, but you can always get the precast pool coping stones colored to match the deck. We make these at our shop. Here is a link to more pics and different types of pool coping:
www.Swimming-PoolCoping.com
Attached Images

Last edited by GunitePoolGuy; 03-09-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: adding site for more coping options
Old 01-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 12

The best way to blend a pool coping with a stamped concrete deck is to match the coping with the deck. There are even edge profiles that can provide a textured surface to mimic natural stone. Check out ZPoolform, I have used it numerous times and its the easiest way to get a beautiful edge detail while adding a stamped texture to the surface of the pool deck.
here is a great article as well on Concrete Pool Coping Forms
These pool forms are cool because they can be cleaned and reused so you can really start to profit on the 2nd and 3rd etc job.