Urgent: Help On Under Mount Sink On Tile Counter Top - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Urgent: Help On Under Mount Sink On Tile Counter Top

Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Whole house remodeling & Custom home building
Rewards Points: 154

Urgent: Help On Under Mount Sink On Tile Counter Top

Good morning. Thanks for stopping by.

This is kinda my fault: it's a project for my aquaintant. I know her family really close for 10 years. She asked me to replace her steel regtangular sink, under mount. I showed the husband one of those restaurant like, hand made sharp 90 deg sink (what do we call them by the way). Looks nice to me. He said ok. So I sent the guys out, break the tile around the old sink, cut the hole and everything.

She came back from work and disapproved it. Haha. She wanted the nice curvy bean shaped one. I told her it's impossible to do the tile work for it. Instead i offered to replace the whole counter top with granite at cost. No budget.

So please advice anyway I can make this work: undermount sink, big radius corners (~3"), and curve top on the bigger bowl. We've talked, and nothing else worked for her Now. Ive got to do that 'cause I didn't tell her in advanced. Haha.

I was thinking of cutting the tile so perfectly just enough for the sink flange to drop in, dry polish it a bit for ease-looking, smoothing rough edges out. Then maybe use one of those poly quarter round they sell in HD for flooring to finish it up. Dawn. Existing counter is 6x6 matt finish tile, porcelain I think, bone color.

Any suggestion to fix the problem at hand would be really appreciated. I know what I should do to avoid this next time already. Hahaha.

Urgency because I need to come back and finish it Monday.

Thanks again in advance.

Nhi

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Full Service Renovations

Trade: Residential Renovations
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Urgent: Help On Under Mount Sink On Tile Counter Top

I really don't understand what yo are doing or trying to do..... Are you replacing the CT with granite or doing tile?

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhique View Post
I was thinking of cutting the tile so perfectly just enough for the sink flange to drop in, dry polish it a bit for ease-looking, smoothing rough edges out.
Huh? Is it an undermount or isn't it? Big difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed

Trade: Kitchen and bath design
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Good morning. Thanks for stopping by.

This is kinda my fault: it's a project for my aquaintant. I know her family really close for 10 years. She asked me to replace her steel regtangular sink, under mount. I showed the husband one of those restaurant like, hand made sharp 90 deg sink (what do we call them by the way). Looks nice to me. He said ok. So I sent the guys out, break the tile around the old sink, cut the hole and everything.

She came back from work and disapproved it. Haha. She wanted the nice curvy bean shaped one. I told her it's impossible to do the tile work for it. Instead i offered to replace the whole counter top with granite at cost. No budget.

So please advice anyway I can make this work: undermount sink, big radius corners (~3"), and curve top on the bigger bowl. We've talked, and nothing else worked for her Now. Ive got to do that 'cause I didn't tell her in advanced. Haha.

I was thinking of cutting the tile so perfectly just enough for the sink flange to drop in, dry polish it a bit for ease-looking, smoothing rough edges out. Then maybe use one of those poly quarter round they sell in HD for flooring to finish it up. Dawn. Existing counter is 6x6 matt finish tile, porcelain I think, bone color.

Any suggestion to fix the problem at hand would be really appreciated. I know what I should do to avoid this next time already. Hahaha.

Urgency because I need to come back and finish it Monday.

Thanks again in advance.

Nhi

First of all your first mistake is letting one spouse make a decision without the other one. Yes women make all the final decisions, they have that golden triangle which speaks louder then words. The way I see it is he said yes to something that she said no to later on because she did not say yes to what he did.

Now what?

You are correct that you can not cut those tiles to conform to a sink with unusual curves. That was not made clear to any of them and now the customer wants what they can't have.

Either you have to eat all new granite tops so you can accommodate the customers choice in sinks or you have to show her sinks in LARGER sizes then the current opening as long as they fit within the current sink base. The problem with that is that sizes are limited in the 33 to 36" range of stainless sinks. We have put 39" sinks (and cooktops) into a SB36 by scooping out the side walls of the SB as well as the adjoining boxes.

Another choice you have may not be desirable but it is a fix. Go see a SS (solid surface) fabricator in either Corian or Silestone. Take a look at their standard sinks. They are generally undermount but can be used as an overmount. If you find the just the right size then have them feather out the edge that will overlap the countertop. With an overlapping sink you will have more flexibility to not need such perfection on those tile cuts. I hope that makes sense as I'm struggling to put this into words.

Hope this helps to some degree......

Next time, no matter what kind of work it is. NEVER EVER EVER take the advice, opinions, wants and don't wants, UNLESS BOTH SPOUSES ARE THERE TO MAKE FINAL DECISIONS !!!!!! Not doing so will put you out of business and you will also be contributing to raising the divorce rate. We all should know that next to being married to a cop, major remodels are the leading cause of divorce.

Last edited by Jimmy Cabinet; 10-17-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,614

Some jobs just aren't worth doing.

Learn this phrase & live your life by it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
Jimmy Cabinet (10-17-2010), parkers5150 (10-31-2010)
Old 10-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Wood Butcher

Trade: Remodels/Custom Cabinets/Granite Countertops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Cabinet View Post
NEVER EVER EVER take the advice, opinions, wants and don't wants, UNLESS BOTH SPOUSES ARE THERE TO MAKE FINAL DECISIONS !!!!!! Not doing so will put you out of business and you will also be contributing to raising the divorce rate. We all should know that next to being married to a cop, major remodels are the leading cause of divorce.

Words to live by!!
The Following User Says Thank You to bhock For This Useful Post:
Jimmy Cabinet (10-17-2010)
Old 10-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Pro

Thanks all for the responds. Again, as I said, please help me focus on the problem at hand. The husband did tell me "the man decides things". Apparently not. And again, I know the family really close, so I can't just go "technical" on them and say "well you decided on this, can't change things on that" ect...

Just a quick recap:
- I have to work wib existing tile counter top. Offered granite top at cost, but they still don't want it because no budget and plan for any extra spending
- it's an under mount sink of course. Because if it's just a top mount, no need to waste your time up here . And this is where the big deal is: for porcelain, how can you make an undermount sink cut out works? Quarter round is for straight edges only, corner pieces are for narrow radius corners only, 3/4" or so. The sink I need to install has 3" radius corners, curve top (one of those nice double bowl stainless steel sinks)

Thank you
Old 10-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Wood Butcher

Trade: Remodels/Custom Cabinets/Granite Countertops

Ever think of using mosaic tiles for the radius areas?
Old 10-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Can you remove the existing tile temporarily?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,614

You may just have to explain to the the cold hard realities of remodeling. They do not have enough money to do what they want. Happens all the time. You're going to fiddle fart around with this thing and will not be able to make it look right. You're gonna get made & lose money & your friends/family are going to be mad at you because you couldn't do a simple thing like change a sink.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,463

Far as I've seen, we don't have too many fairies around here.

There are no magical answers, it is what it is. Lay out the few options you're capable of providing, and they're going to have to decide which one they can live with. Bummer.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

Maybe if you trying sleeping with her, she will become more accomodating on what type of sink she wants.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CookeCarpentry For This Useful Post:
Anti-wingnut (10-23-2010), parkers5150 (10-31-2010)
Old 10-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242
Can you remove the existing tile temporarily?
Yes
Old 10-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

I'll be honest, I don't fully understand the situation. I assume you are looking for a way to finish the edge of the tile at the undermount sink. If that's the deal, would a Schluter radius profile help?

JohnFRWhipple (10-23-2010)
Old 10-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242
I'll be honest, I don't fully understand the situation. I assume you are looking for a way to finish the edge of the tile at the undermount sink. If that's the deal, would a Schluter radius profile help?
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Let me go look for more info for schluter radius profile ...

Thank you
Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
Pro

Much thanks to Angus for this project. I've seen Schulter's other products many times before but never done anything like this. Not that I'm gonna do it again, but the result looks great. Will post some pictures up later.

Again, thanks everyone for helping out, even with those yelling/strong comments posts. Haha.

I'm always willing to learn anything that helps me & my company improved.

Nhi
Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,414

Quote:
Just a quick recap:
- I have to work wib existing tile counter top
Phonics causes problems when you have a speech impediment, huh?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post

Angus when did this new Schulter profile come out? I have not seen it before today.

Thanks for that.

Advertisement