Stone Dust For Grout - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Stone Dust For Grout

Old 08-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Remodeler

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 502

Stone Dust For Grout

I have a job coming up next month and the client has asked to use the Granite dust for grout. He read about mixing it with epoxy to make the grout. Does anyone have any comments or experience with this? I am planning on a hairline grout maybe a blade thick. If you have experience with this what type of epoxy would be used and what kind of working time would this give me. I would think I could inject this with a large syringe. But over fill is a concern. This is all counter top work by the way. Not flooring.
I will never leave you hanging!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,242

Re: Stone Dust For Grout

why don't you use the epoxy grout by Laticrete-there are many colors to choose from and 'speckles' can be added for additional effect. I would be much more comfortable using a proven item rather then testing something new on a countertop where longevity is important. As for the syringe idea, the Laticrete has around a 15minute pot life so that could be a lot of syringes. There is a rubber like tool for working epoxy grout into joints-the typical foam won't last.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

What's the idea behind mixing in the stone dust anyhow? Do they have the impression that the grout lines will disappear that way? I might be inclined to use a regular epoxy grout and just tell them you mixed in stone dust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Remodeler

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
What's the idea behind mixing in the stone dust anyhow? Do they have the impression that the grout lines will disappear that way? I might be inclined to use a regular epoxy grout and just tell them you mixed in stone dust.
Yes he thinks it will all blend together. I couldn't lie to the guy, it's not my style.
I will never leave you hanging!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

Is he actually trying to re-invent the wheel?- If so, I have a new, revolutionary on that is available with 3, 4 or 5 sides and not just the one boring side.

If he insists, make him put it in writing and not just a verbal request that can come back to haunt you. Show him information on the recommended materials and their properties.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinConst View Post
I have a job coming up next month and the client has asked to use the Granite dust for grout. He read about mixing it with epoxy to make the grout. Does anyone have any comments or experience with this? I am planning on a hairline grout maybe a blade thick. If you have experience with this what type of epoxy would be used and what kind of working time would this give me. I would think I could inject this with a large syringe. But over fill is a concern. This is all counter top work by the way. Not flooring.
You should look at this as if it was a granite slab counter top installation, the seams are filled with epoxy colored to 'match' the granite. I serously doubt that process involves mixing in stone dust from the job.

Also be ready to charge them a s h i t load for this since I'm betting your could grout the entire counter top in the time it will take you to do probably 4 or 5 giles with epoxy seams.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

You got to love a HO on the internet researching the job he hired you to do. I would definetly stick with a time tested method that you are comfortable with. Good luck with that one, sounds like you have a pretty anal customer. (But aren't they all)

Advertisement