Solid Surface Costs - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Solid Surface Costs

Old 01-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,346

Solid Surface Costs

I dont do alot of counter-tops but damn....I dont know what you guys get around the country but I just left a counter top supplier and I was sticker shocked. I basicaly got corian, granite or engineered prices starting at $58.00 sqft(white) or group A then $5-15.00 sqft each level up process. Template fee included.

He said corian is becoming the new formica and people are tearing it out in favor of Granite or engineered. I have about 92 SF thats about $5800 for bottom of the line color.
How much can I possibly mark-up in this enviorment and not lose the job? As for formica-----I was convinced that a lay over wasnt worth it compared to brand new. That was in the $3500 range before taxes and mark-up.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 396

Re: Solid Surface Costs

Thats about what we pay for silestone, granite, hanstone or caesarstone.

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Steve

Trade: Remodeling and Custom Cabinets
Rewards Points: 256

36" X 120" X 1/2" solid surface material can go for $500-$600 each, add on the epoxy seam glue, sanding supplies, labor to fabricate, etc. I quit building my tops and just sub them out and add 10% on top for working with the client on color and material choice. Company comes and does template as well as install of the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom m View Post
I dont do alot of counter-tops but damn....I dont know what you guys get around the country but I just left a counter top supplier and I was sticker shocked. I basicaly got corian, granite or engineered prices starting at $58.00 sqft(white) or group A then $5-15.00 sqft each level up process. Template fee included.

He said corian is becoming the new formica and people are tearing it out in favor of Granite or engineered. I have about 92 SF thats about $5800 for bottom of the line color.
How much can I possibly mark-up in this enviorment and not lose the job? As for formica-----I was convinced that a lay over wasnt worth it compared to brand new. That was in the $3500 range before taxes and mark-up.
I build Staron and Fountainhead solid surface counter tops.

30" x 145" x 1/2" sheet $600-$700 depending on color group, solid colors are cheaper.

Adhesive $35 a tube, mixing tubes $2.

With the labor and materials to build them I am at about $125-$150 a lineal ft installed for a standard counter top.

Custom options such as ADA compliant tops with a 4" skirt can raise the price slightly.

Granite has come down in price quite a bit lately and with the prices going up on solid surface, i don't do much of it unless it is a commercial job that I am matching a previous install or a client that prefers solid surface over granite.

Solid surface is a great material for certain applications.

Undermount bowls are extra
Old 01-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

All this stuff is expensive. Perception is it's lower. Probably because of all the 39.95 prices at Home Depot and Lowes and the 29.95 a sq foot guys you see around.

The Home Depot and Lowes is pricing the basic entry level stuff that nobody wants. The 29.95 guys are pricing blanks which have limited usage.

The reality is double those prices is the norm for normal range stuff that somebody would want in their house.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

I pay around 45.00 sq.ft. installed for granite here in SoCal.Extra for under mount sinks and upgraded edge finish.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,346

I was under the impression engineered was cheaper than granite. I was shown Zodiac, Silestone, Caesarstone. Three different places similar ballpark prices. One is cheaper but adds for templates and cut out the other more expensive but includes these fees while the other will include a sink. Lots of things to consider when packaging a estimate. I also thought the corian would be cheapest. Learn something new each day.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom m View Post
I was under the impression engineered was cheaper than granite. I was shown Zodiac, Silestone, Caesarstone. Three different places similar ballpark prices. One is cheaper but adds for templates and cut out the other more expensive but includes these fees while the other will include a sink. Lots of things to consider when packaging a estimate. I also thought the corian would be cheapest. Learn something new each day.
It used to be cheaper, but the price of solid surface has gone up while the cost of granite has come way down.

Used to be only a few shops in Tampa did granite, now it seems like everyone and their brother is doing it and they keep dropping the price.

Zodiac, Silstone and the other granite copies IMO look worse than granite and solid surface and IME are more expensive.

I used to build a lot of solid surface tops, I don't do as much as I used to and part of it is due to price, the other is, it is quite messy to build, I can usually make more money with less hassle using granite.

Advertisement