Silicone Recommendation - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Silicone Recommendation

Old 04-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: house painting
Rewards Points: 54

Silicone Recommendation

A couple of projects ago on a shower enclosure I used CR Lawrence #33 Clear Silicone with pretty good results. The last project I decided to just use some GE Silicone II Kitchen and Bath. It worked okay, but when smoothing with a tool or finger, the stuff seems more gooey and stringy than the CRL #33 making it difficult to smooth. I know all about the soapy water, spitting on the finger, etc. And I also made sure the tube was new and fresh and within the use by date. SO, the question is NOT how to smooth silicone. The question IS which brands of silicone tool out the smoothest regardless of method. I would hate to know I am battling with one brand when another might smooth out like butter. Thanks a lot.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 03:37 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,612

Re: Silicone Recommendation

I like the silicone 2. But you needbto work fast. It sets almost immediately. And onlyvtouchvit once, even if it isn't perfect. I use it because it does grip fast for shower doors.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 1,331

Countertop guy I know, applies silicone, lightly sprays w/rubbing alcohol, tools/wipes joint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 3,492

We can get right into the tape vs mesh debate.

What works best is what yer used to.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 834

Xtrabond RTV silicone or Dow Corning 786 RTV silicone are my choices. I won't use GE silicones anywhere anymore....bonding issues with different surfaces, especially acrylics. And both my choices tool easier too.
The Following User Says Thank You to dsconstructs For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (04-19-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
New Guy

Where do you get the Xtrabond or 786 at? I have never ran across it anywhere.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PootyTang View Post
Where do you get the Xtrabond or 786 at? I have never ran across it anywhere.
I order it online, or pick up extra tubes when I deal with my cultured marble/onyx supplier.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #8
New Guy

OK. Thanks for letting me know. I just might try some. Just not liking the GE. The only problem nowadays is that you can experiment a little and find something you really like, and then 6 months later they either changed it or discontinued it. Seems like starting over every time. Off the topic, but I was using Dap Kwik Seal Plus and liking it a lot. Bought some new tubes and went to work only to find out that instead of having a sheen, it was dead flat and a dirt magnet. I called Dap, and they said Oh, customers didn't like the shine. I'm like thanks for letting anyone know. They didn't change the labeling, the SKU number or anything. Just totally changed the product....
Old 04-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,368

Quote:
A couple of projects ago on a shower enclosure I used CR Lawrence SO, the question is NOT how to smooth silicone. The question IS which brands of silicone tool out the smoothest regardless of method.
Wasn't the question, but should have been.

Get some Denatured Alcohol, put it in a spray bottle and use it. Once you have your silicone down, you can spray a light mist over the top. Then you can tool it, smooth it, use your finger or whatever. Slick as could be and doesn't leave a residue.
The plumbers have been doing it for a while. I resisted, because I don't typically like to tool the silicone, after applying it. I see too many that are smeared out to a large area. It looks fine then, but give it 6 months and it looks like crap.
I finally gave in. Worked good. Now we have a bottle in each truck. Use it for more than just silicone. Works great on removing sticky stuff with no residue.

Give it a try. Then you won't care about the brand nearly as much. What you will look for is a brand without bubbles in it and one that comes out of the tube well.
Of course, with the alcohol, you won't care nearly as much about the bubbles, because you can work with them.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 14,053

This is a good question for a commercial glass installer.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #11
New Guy

Builditguy, your point is well taken. A couple of questions though. If tooling with a spray of alcohol, if you overtool or missed a spot, can you add more silicone after you've already sprayed or will that cause adhesion problems. Also, does the edge of the bead hold up long term, since it seems like the alcohol might try to get under the silicone. And lastly, does isopropyl work as well as denatured? thanks again.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #12
Pro

When I use a spray for tooling it's denatured alcohol, it evaporates off quickly so yes, you could do a little touch up if needed. Until this thread I hadn't heard of anyone using isopropyl/rubbing alcohol. I think maybe......if it's the 99.9% isopropyl. But then that's harder to find and costs more anyway.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,368

Quote:
Builditguy, your point is well taken. A couple of questions though. If tooling with a spray of alcohol, if you overtool or missed a spot, can you add more silicone after you've already sprayed or will that cause adhesion problems. Also, does the edge of the bead hold up long term, since it seems like the alcohol might try to get under the silicone. And lastly, does isopropyl work as well as denatured? thanks again.
I've never tried isopropyl. It evaporates quickly, so I would assume you could touch up. As far as long term, I couldn't say. We used to use silicone all the time. Last few years I noticed it wasn't sticking to aluminum. I would see other people's work and some of my own, where the silicone was great when we left, but years later, it wasn't stuck to exterior aluminum.
I've switched to a caulking. I don't like the clear because it goes on white. People always bring it up and in humid areas it takes weeks to turn clear.

Advertisement