Showerpan Repairs.....who Else Hates This..... - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Showerpan Repairs.....who Else Hates This.....

Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
"Only The Strong Survive"

Trade: Custom Tile & Stone Installation & Sales
Rewards Points: 10

Showerpan Repairs.....who Else Hates This.....

Listen....I just want to save everyone a lot of headache and frustrations when it comes to showerpans. We have done over 30 showerpan repairs in the Hampton Roads area in the last 4 years. We have bid on a little more than that. My point? Well most of these repairs are in four different neighborhoods. The builder of these neighborhoods used tile guys that didn't know how to correctly install showerpans. I have never torn out a shower or tile pan that was pre-sloped. 1-it wasn't commonly known over 15 years ago. 2- most GC's get a plumber to do the Liner. Not me. I have yet to see a plumber check the sub-floor of the showerpan area to see if it pitches in any direction or in some cases multiple directions. If I come across a perfectly flat and level shower sub-floor, I still pre-slope the floor before the liner goes in. Usually I go 3/4" on the outer edges sloped to the flat flush rim of the drain assembly. What people fail to realize is that water WILL penetrate the tile, grout, and cement to hit the liner. And last time I checked water didn't naturally flow up-hill. So if you take a shower like you are supposed to there is absolutely no way that stagnant water sitting in your cement will evaporate. It only SATURATES AND SITS THERE FOR YEARS. Trust me I have almost gagged from the smell of some of these showers. Please pre-slope. If you are flat then it's not manditory but I do it always. I hope that this will help all you aspiring tile Guru's....
757-237-TILE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,196

Re: Showerpan Repairs.....who Else Hates This.....

Ripping one out as we speak. Pan was leaking and we couldn't find it even with a camera. I don't do pan repairs as your post said as i cant warranty a bandaid. So we are doing a full gut and new shower with membraine

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

People have to use paragraphs, I look at a post like this and get about two sentences in before giving up....I toughed this one out. Great advice!
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,844

Wrapped up a full gut two weeks ago and wrapping up one as we speak.