Shower Grab Bar Locations/height - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Shower Grab Bar Locations/height

Old 06-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 166

Shower Grab Bar Locations/height

I have to install some grab bars in the bathtub/shower for my parents and was wondering if there is a standard location/height for them? I'm thinking I would need to install a vertical one on one of the end walls to help in getting in/out and then a horizontal bar on the back wall for when they are in there. Does that seem to be a good location for them? What would be a good height for them? Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/Handicap accessibility
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Shower Grab Bar Locations/height

Your on the right track as far as locations. Std height is 33 inches but keep in mind that if your folks are big or small adjust the bars to fit them. I just happened to fit a customer for some today in a new shower we are installing. Because this woman uses a shower chair I put her chair in the shower, helped her get in and then had her tell me where she wanted them. I consider every job like this as a custom job to fit the individual and work with the customer to make a fit that is best for them.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbreeze For This Useful Post:
goady (03-12-2017), kevjob (06-29-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
bathroom guru

Trade: Bathroom Design Build Contractor
Rewards Points: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeze View Post
Your on the right track as far as locations. Std height is 33 inches but keep in mind that if your folks are big or small adjust the bars to fit them. I just happened to fit a customer for some today in a new shower we are installing. Because this woman uses a shower chair I put her chair in the shower, helped her get in and then had her tell me where she wanted them. I consider every job like this as a custom job to fit the individual and work with the customer to make a fit that is best for them.

Good explanation!! How people use their tub/shower and what type of "disabilities" they have should determine the placement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 166

My mom just had one of her knees replaced and once she recovers from this one she has to go in to have the other knee replaced so, that's the main reason for the grab bars right now. Both my parents are of average height, 5'-5 for my mom, 5'-10 for my dad. I don't believe they ever take a bath, just a shower.
I've seen several places that have angled grab bars in the bath/shower, is there some type of advantage to an angled bar? I remember looking at them in the past but I could never figure out why you would want an angled bar because I couldn't find a way to grab it that seemed that good for anything.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
bathroom guru

Trade: Bathroom Design Build Contractor
Rewards Points: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
My mom just had one of her knees replaced and once she recovers from this one she has to go in to have the other knee replaced so, that's the main reason for the grab bars right now. Both my parents are of average height, 5'-5 for my mom, 5'-10 for my dad. I don't believe they ever take a bath, just a shower.
I've seen several places that have angled grab bars in the bath/shower, is there some type of advantage to an angled bar? I remember looking at them in the past but I could never figure out why you would want an angled bar because I couldn't find a way to grab it that seemed that good for anything.

Funny, my mom had one of her knees done in the spring and is having the other one done this winter. I believe the angled bar is for people who do use the tub, it allows them to "pull" themselves out.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor/Handicap accessibility
Rewards Points: 150

The angled bars are typically used to go from a prone or seated position to standing. So you can pull yourself up the wall. Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
New Guy

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 54

In most cases the angled grab bar is caused by the silly/stupid
grab bar mfgrs who make the grab bar lengths in 12, 24, 36 etc
lengths.... ie anything other than std stud spacing of 16 inches.

If you are going to hit 16" o.c. studs with a 24 inch bar you have
to install it at an angle.

Stupid stupid stupid these towel bar and grab bar mfgrs.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,686

I've often wondered if there would be a market for custom made grab bar lengths. You measure the studs at the beginning of a bathroom job, send off the dimensions, they mail you the bar by the time the job is wrapping up. I'd certainly pay extra for a perfectly sized bar.

Advertisement