Shower Glass Panel Isnít Perpendicular To The Curb - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Shower Glass Panel Isnít Perpendicular To The Curb

Old 10-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 272

Shower Glass Panel Isnít Perpendicular To The Curb

One of the panels in my glass shower is leaning at an angle. Panel A in the diagram below is leaning in the direction of the blue line below. Towards the inside of the shower. Over the length of 6 feet itís out of perpendicular to the floor by 3/4Ē.

Initially I thought it was bc the track bar wasnít level. If I could raise the bar near panel A I could get panel A to perpendicular with the floor. But the track bar is very close to level as is.

Iím afraid to hang the sliding glass door (panel C) on the track while panel A isnít perpendicular.

Panel A and Panel B should line up on the curb with one another but Panel A is 3/4Ē further from the inside edge of the curb than Panel B. I inadvertently did this to get the holes in Panel A low enough to hook onto the track bar.

I think my next step is to unscrew the track bar from the wall near Panel A and move the bar to find a location that allows Panel A to stand up straight and the length from the inside curb to both Panel A and B are equidistant. If this position doesnít leave the track bar level the sliding door (Panel C) wonít stay open.

The distance from
The Track bar to inside curb is 69 15/16 and 69 7/8 on opposing sides. So that looks good.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 682

Re: Shower Glass Panel Isnít Perpendicular To The Curb

Hard to see what is going on...something looks off with how you mounted your hardware...what is going on with the wall by panel B? Maybe take some more pics from further back?...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

RookiePlumber (10-16-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #3

Trade: Remodeling / general / handyman
Rewards Points: 80

When you say out of perpendicular, do you mean it's out of plumb? It's hard to follow your description, but my first impression is the installer measured wrong and anchored the track in the wrong place. A jammer or laser level should be able to get it directly above the curb.

All glass & tile, you're really not going to be able to shim to hide any mistakes there, so if it ain't all square and plumb, it sounds like you're getting custom glass cut.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmcarnes For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (10-24-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2017, 02:16 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,024

This is why I tell my plumber to never order shower doors from his supplier when it is for tile. Especially in a clean look like that.

If it is just the one panel that is off, you can redrill and reset it. Then just grout the old hole. I assume it is a single screw and bracket. If it is just a side off, it is harder because you can't really resize just one side of the hole easily and the screw into the backing will be wallered out, but if it is a half inch or so, it my not be too bad.

The only way to run doors these days is with a laser. You also need to make sure the panels are all parallel on the curb.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
RookiePlumber (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,323

That shower pic is like an optical illusion puzzle to some of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
Pro

Iíll have an updated pic and description of the issue later today.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #7
New Guy

Trade: Licensed Plumber & Inspector
Rewards Points: 76

Hard to follow. When on the track are each of the sliders plumb in both directions? Is the track level? Is the base level?

If so is the wall out of plumb causing the level panel to seat up against it leaving a gap?

Not so much what you can alter as finding what is out of plumb and correcting it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GAN57 For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,098

agreed, it's hard to follow.

sounds like the bracket on the bottom of panel A is not set correctly. did you check if panel B is plumb? Panel B and panel A have to be in plane. use a 6' or longer level across those panels to make sure placement is correct. Ideally A and B should be plumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinDB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpenter-Renovations/Repairs
Rewards Points: 276

a laser level should tell you pretty quick what is going on..
The Following User Says Thank You to Workingmanvan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
Pro

Ok, I finally had a chance to get back to the shower glass project. Apologies for the poor initial description of the issue. Hopefully this is a bit clearer.

You guys are right - the glass panels are not only out of plumb but not square with the walls.

Iíve attached a diagram of the curbs and how the glass panels sit on the curbs. The measurements show the panels are not square with the walls. I should have used a rafter square to get it right the first time.

- The walls are plumb
- The junction where the curbs meet is lower than the where the curbs meet the wall. This is why the seal strip on Panel D is fully compressed at the bottom where Panel D meets the wall and not compressed at the top where Panel D meets the wall.

I think my first step is to take down panels A & B, and the unscrew the track bar. (Yes I screwed it into the wall already).

Next Iíll get Panel D square with the wall and plumb and set the measurement from inside glass to wall at 46 5/8Ē (manufacturers spec). I will also need to shim Panel D to get the seal strip compressed.

Then Iíll mark the hole for the track bar.

If the hole turns out to be in a different spot than the original hole, but close to it, how can I ensure structural integrity for that anchor?

Also what can I use to shim the floor with? Iím thinking some clear hard plastic or rubber could do the job.

Thanks!

Last edited by RookiePlumber; 10-24-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 13,323

translation: curb isn't level. Even when it's pitched inward, it should be level from end to end.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 09:53 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,024

I hate to be the jackass, but that is all sorts of fugged up. You need to be extra diligent with those. I install custom shower doors pretty often, but can't say I've ever installed one like that. I did see those at the big box and they look pretty cool.

The problem with the big box showers, if that is one, especially one with no side channel, is there is no room for adjustment. That means your tile needs to be perfect. I do customs, and I don't do channelless (sic) against the tile designs because of that. Even if it lasers near perfect, it may move 1/16th or so, and you have no room to adjust. Brackets are different, but you have nothing to hide it with on that design if I am seeing it right. Also, tile and glass don't get along, so I avoid the stress.

My supplier would give me a ripped bottom piece for the regular channel to sit on if it was a slider. In fact we just ordered one that a fiberglass tub was 1/4 inch down on one side. You need to be perfectly parallel or it won't stay open or closed. Older designs had a deeper channel that could hide it, but these new skinny frame designs don't.

As for the new screw hole, not sure. Maybe a longer screw if you haven't gone through the entire backing. Maybe a monster toggle, but I never trust those, though I've heard some guys around here swear by them, I swear at them.

You also need to get a cross laser if you do many more. I couldn't do them without one. also, your corner needs to be a true 90, and you need to run a line along the door side of the curb and go off that to match panels, whether they are on the same line or offset.

I do give you props for going for it. That looks like a lot could go wrong.
RookiePlumber (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames;
translation: curb isn't level. Even when it's pitched inward, it should be level from end to end.

Can I use clear hard plastic shims to get it level? Or should I remove the curb tiles and reinstall to get it perfectly level?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
I did see those at the big box and they look pretty cool.

The problem with the big box showers, if that is one, especially one with no side channel, is there is no room for adjustment. That means your tile needs to be perfect. I do customs, and I don't do channelless (sic) against the tile designs because of that.

Maybe a longer screw if you haven't gone through the entire backing.

also, your corner needs to be a true 90, and you need to run a line along the door side of the curb and go off that to match panels, whether they are on the same line or offset.

VinylHanger - thanks for all the pointers. Yes I did fugg up. .

Yes itís a big box shower - The vigo Winslow with sliding door track door. I attached a pic of how itís supposed to look.

There is some adjustment for out of plumb walls - but my walls are plumb.

Iím assuming the channel youíre referring to is the track you see some shower doors sit in. My sliding glass door sits on a overhead track. I do see a track in the pictures. I havenít gotten to that step yet.

Good call on a bigger screw and drawing a line on the curb.

Iíve got a friend coming over tomorrow to help me fix it. Gonna start with Panel D in Diagram I drew that isnít square with the wall.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #15
Pro

Took another crack at the shower this weekend. After getting the panels square with the walls and with one another, and shimming the low curbs, Iíve discovered my track bar hole is in the wrong spot by 1/2Ē center to center.

Iím thinking I can put a flat head screw into the wrong hole to take up the void space. Then drill a new hole in the correct spot.

Any better options?

Old 10-30-2017, 04:29 PM   #16
Pro

Or I could fill the hole with epoxy. Something to give it support.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,277

I assume the track will still cover the old hole. As long as you're screwing into wood behind the tile, I wouldn't be concerned with support if you can get the new hole drilled cleanly. Might not hurt to glop it with something just to minimize the chance of water getting in--though your actual screwhole is a weak point anyway in that respect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 08:23 PM   #18
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,098

if that's a track, drill a new hole to the side. oversize the hole slightly in the metal channel so you can adjust depending how far off the hole through the tile is. Its hard to get it dead on centered.

plastic shims are fine, silicon the bottom of it like the hingeless glass panels would end up.

if you have a visible hole, you can fill it with grout. let it dry, then one more application and don't wipe hard so that's it's level or just proud of the tile. I've played with colors and even (surface) mixed them to make holes nearly invisible.

is your wife pissed the shower isn't done yet?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinDB For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (10-30-2017), Workingmanvan (10-30-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4;

is your wife pissed the shower isn't done yet?

Haha. No wife, but gf is constantly rolling her eyes when Iím brainstorming my next project.

Ive been showering at the gym and her place bc I demoíd my second bathroom.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Mold Generator
Rewards Points: 844

Why is this in the plumbing section and not in the tile section? Never met a plumber that did glazing and this would go nicely with his existing subject there on figuring out how to do a tile shower.

Advertisement