Shower Frame Noise - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Shower Frame Noise

Old 01-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: house painting
Rewards Points: 46

Shower Frame Noise

Just installed a fully framed Basco shower enclosure. The uprights are H-shaped aluminum extrusions against a 4X4 ceramic tile wall. The uprights have 3 screws each into plastic anchors. They are very secure, and in fact can be overtightened enough to deform the metal. Now, the problem is this: randomly, but mostly when the temperature changes like the sun beating in or the heat coming on, the aluminum channels seem to move against the tile causing a loud pop. Sounds like someone ringing a bell almost. Since the frame is not siliconed yet, I slipped wax paper between the aluminum and the tile. No more popping. But I have installed these before, and never had this happen. I am leary to silicone it up because if it keeps popping then I got a mess on my hands. I can physically grab the upright extrusions and push on them and cause the noise. I put nylon washers under the screw heads in case they were moving against the frame but that didn't do it. Definitely where the aluminum touches the tile. Anyone ever had this happen???

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 278

Re: Shower Frame Noise

Are the screw threads hanging up on the metal frame?

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
New Guy

The screws line up very well and the holes have clearance. I checked that they don't touch. So not that.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 AM   #4
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 458

"I can physically grab the upright extrusions and push on them and cause the noise."

How about trying different ways to sleeve the assembly to eliminate the noise using something that will last a long time as in as long as the shower is there?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:58 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 8,726

Is this a slider or a panel and door?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #6

Trade: cabinet installation
Rewards Points: 6

Could you try putting a block or shim slightly larger (say 32 to 16" or so) than the cavity in the H channel? Then caulk as usual. That should eliminate the metal to tile scraping. Don't know what material, something stable and waterproof.
The Following User Says Thank You to danrush For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (01-14-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 8,726

If they are moving when you push on them, they aren't tight enough. If you have that much difference in the plumbness of the wall, the supplier should have adjusted in the manufacturing. If it is a basic big box off the shelf door, then you may have a problem.

I've never seen this issue and I install a fair number of doors. Maybe just don't pull up on it? The silicone should keep it in place if it is snugged down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
New Guy

Rio: what do you mean by "sleeving" the assembly? Not picturing what you mean.

VinylHanger: it is a sliding bypass type. I have the screws as tight as practical. The channel starts to cave in under the screws if any tighter. When I say that I can push on it and hear the noise, I don't mean I can see it move, it is like hearing framing creak and pop in your attic at night. Just enough temp change to cause some shifting. I think that's what's happening here. Loosening the screws stops the noise, I think since when it expands it can slide along the tile instead of scraping.

Danrush: that is actually something I was thinking about as well. Since the channel is H-shaped, tightening the screws more just bends the channel. So you can't tighten it like you could a U-channel on a semi-frameless. So the spacer would let you tighten it more solidly and like you say, space it off just a hair.

Like you guys, I have never had this happen. Like I mentioned above, with wax paper between the channel and tile and screws tightened down there is absolutely no noise. So was even thinking about permanently putting something there besides wax paper, but not sure what that would be. Sort of like putting an underlayment under a floating wood floor. Seems ridiculous but I have to do something.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 909

Once you caulk the channels on both sides, noise will stop.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rescraft For This Useful Post:
Tinstaafl (01-09-2019)