Laminate Substrate For Commercial Use - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Laminate Substrate For Commercial Use

Old 03-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Trade: Handyman/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 90

Laminate Substrate For Commercial Use

First, my laminate experience is somewhat limited (about 200 restaurant tables and a few commercial cabinets). The commercial cabinets (storage), I used MDF. All the tables I built I used finish grade plywood. All came out well the oldest tables are about 8 years and still look good.

I am currently working on some drawings and an estimate for a Japanese restaurant. Specifically, a sushi Bar. This bar is in a large L shape where the sushi chef works and there is seating around it.

The manufacturer (Formica) does not recommend the use of ply as it expands and contracts differently from the laminate and could cause failure. I found this product in a quick search:

Western fir industrial particleboard (3/4")
Smooth fine-grain face
Tight machinable edges
Density 45-47 PCF
MOR 1900 PSI
MOE 350000 PSI
CARB third party certified
Eco-Certified composite panel

Will this work? Any better suggestions?

Personally, I do not like the idea of using particleboard for this particular use because there are two top-mounted sinks and the top is constantly wet. The bar where the customers sit is has 11" unsupported for chair/leg room. Also, there are some commercial coolers that will roll under the top meaning there will be unsupported spans (2) of up to 66".

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,662

Re: Laminate Substrate For Commercial Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahReno View Post
Personally, I do not like the idea of using particleboard for this particular use because there are two top-mounted sinks and the top is constantly wet. The bar where the customers sit is has 11" unsupported for chair/leg room. Also, there are some commercial coolers that will roll under the top meaning there will be unsupported spans (2) of up to 66".

MDF is not better than particle board. MDF actually expands and contracts more in changing moisture environments.

Long spans - do something with better support than 1 single 3/4 ply.

Your Particle board specs - Standard and normal. Would suggest a balanced top tho. And seal the edges on the sinks

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #3

Trade: Handyman/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 90

Re: Laminate Substrate For Commercial Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
MDF is not better than particle board. MDF actually expands and contracts more in changing moisture environments.

Long spans - do something with better support than 1 single 3/4 ply.

Your Particle board specs - Standard and normal. Would suggest a balanced top tho. And seal the edges on the sinks
Yea, I would not want to use MDF either but it is an acceptable substrate according to the manufacturer. The edges soak up the glue like crazy...and it is heavy!

"Standard and normal" Are the particle board specs consistent with the proper substrate for this application? I am looking for the best performance.

My first thought is to use the particle board as a top layer and use 3/4" ply under as much as possible (I will have to cut a larger hole for the sinks to allocate for the mounting clips).

Balanced top? Not sure of what you mean there.

Thanks for the reply!