Kitchen Remodel Time Frame - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Kitchen Remodel Time Frame

Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Home remodeling

Trade: home remodeling
Rewards Points: 157

Kitchen Remodel Time Frame

I would like some info from all of you out there. I'm trying to get an idea of length of time most of take to remodel a kitchen. My son keeps beating himself up on how long we take to finish. I know it all depends on a lot of factors, so I'll present a sample kitchen. 13x15. Install new cabinets, crown molding, and light rail remove existing soffet and patch. Install new tile floor.
Remove three foot wall (non bearing), that separates the kitchen from the breakfast room. Not much plumbing change. Same with electric just add 6 can lights. New granite countertop and tile backsplash. I know each one is different. I'm just trying to get a rough estimate of average time if the customer would want a time frame from you.
Thanks
Jerry
The Following User Says Thank You to jhcontracting For This Useful Post:
Johnyeager (01-14-2011)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 898

Re: Kitchen Remodel Time Frame

4-6 weeks from prep to final cleaning on average (for what you described).

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

The promptness of the granite supplier is the big unknown--

Demo-1-2 days
Mechanical-2 days
drywall 3 days
tile 3 days
cabinet install-1-2 days-
Paint and trim 2 days
Wait for the damn counter top--2 weeks?
back splash and final finish/punch-2 days
Time lost to inspectors?

Rons guess is about right---

What is your average time----?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling, Construction, Home Improvement
Rewards Points: 250

Yes it really depends on how fast you can get the supplies and how the project is done. The estimate of 4 to 6 weeks sounds about right for your situation.
13659, Victory Blvd #261, Van Nuys, CA-91401 | Twitter | Facebook
Contact# 800-372-4080
Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,188

Depends on the scope of remodeling...
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
G Teoli

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

4- 6 weeks would be a little light for me. The kitchen is the most important room in the house with the most unknowns.

Myself and another carpenter would likely say 6-8 at a minimum. We're usually working on older homes around here that have to include older mechanicals (hvac or radiators, old cloth covered wiring, crappy hidden galvanized pipe, asbestos, plaster etc.) It's always a surprise when we open everything up. Needless to say, changeorders are critical.

Have all of your stuff in stock. Italian tile can take months.
If we manage to come in on time or even a little under it's amazing and usually one of the top two things customers appreciate most. Being clean is usually number one.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #7

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 10

custom cabinetry takes app. 5-6 wks. c/top 2wks and backsplashes next 2days. Total reno. - safely 7- 8 wks
Old 01-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
Home remodeling

Thanks for all the feedback. We are usually 5-6 weeks on a project of that size. So I guess we are on target. We are now on a kitchen in a 100 year old house with 10' ceilings and plaster walls. Had to remove 4 layers of flooring, and plaster walls and ceiling. Removed two walls, one being a bearing wall, so we had to get a structural engineered drawing and fix that issue. Opened one wall up and had two radiator lines running up to second floor. Plumber said he'd move it and then backed out 2 days before inspection. had to go find an HVAC guy 2 days before Xmas to get them moved.

We are now on our 7th week, which I guess from the sound of it, isn't bad. The only thing is that my son has put a ton of extra hours in trying to catch up from the problems. So really, it's more like 8 or 81/2 weeks. In addition, we have an electrician that has no clue how to schedule himself and accomplish anything. So we have to babysit him (never again). cabinet guy decided to order two cabinets incorrectly as well. We have about 2 weeks left. Makes me feel a little better. Sometimes when these problems arise, it seems like you are on the project for ever. I tried to tell my son that 8-10 weeks for a kitchen this size, with all the extra problems is not bad.
Again, thanks for all the input
Jerry
Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor

6 weeks would be tight for me too. The granite place I use is usually 4 weeks out, so that is the pitfall. I would be more comforable saying 6-8 weeks, then when you finish in less, your the hero.

Also, whenever I do a kitchen, I bring along a meal for the family on the day that I start. Sometimes I will have my wife make a casserole, or a ham, or something. Sometimes, depending on the sense of humor of the customers, I will bring a box of crackers and a can of sardines. Either way, I make it clear that the next 2 months will be a huge inconveneince, followed by years of enjoyment. Makes light of a stressful situation. Gets alot of referral work too.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

You left out the little fact--The house is 100 years old with lath and plaster--cloth wrapped wire--move radiator piping------

That's why I don't give prices over the phone.

Most of the homes in this area are modern--1970 or newer--and the occasional 1950s ranch----

Last edited by mikeswoods; 01-12-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
Grampy

Trade: Remodel & Repair Contractor
Rewards Points: 174

How ever much time you think it will take, double it, you will always run into problems.
Multi-Tasker (01-14-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling, Construction, Home Improvement

Yes I suppose it is better to be safe than sorry by making room for complications and so forth in this case giving them a wider range of time would be more beneficial for the project.
13659, Victory Blvd #261, Van Nuys, CA-91401 | Twitter | Facebook
Contact# 800-372-4080
Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Home remodeling

What about ordering cabinets on a project when there are walls to be moved? Do you wait until the walls are moved before ordering cabinets? I would prefer to wait until walls are moved. If you do that though, you really extend the time line on the project
. You are a week into the project and haven't put your order in yet for cabinets. Any ideas would help
Old 01-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcontracting View Post
What about ordering cabinets on a project when there are walls to be moved? Do you wait until the walls are moved before ordering cabinets? I would prefer to wait until walls are moved. If you do that though, you really extend the time line on the project
. You are a week into the project and haven't put your order in yet for cabinets. Any ideas would help
To me, this depends on the layout, and how many or where the walls are moving to or from. Also if your shrinking or growing.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
In your original post you only stated one half wall was to be removed. If this is not the case, then my time frame is low.

It was also based on working off a plan, with cabinet delivery dates confirmed. (Ordered ahead of time)

As others have mentioned, the countertops are the wild card. I like to have the HO select the slab (where applicable) ahead of time also so it can be at the granite shop when they template. My guy is usually 5 working days from template to install.

I use the time waiting for the tops to do punch list items, adjust doors and drawers, install appliances, do electrical trim, crown, base & shoe, etc.

Edit: You've got our curiosity up, what is the time frame that your son thought was unacceptable?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed

Trade: Kitchen and bath design
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
I will just respond to your post here as I disagree with all the other answers and wanted to answer your Q about the moving walls scenario.

What you described is less then a week. Stop laughing, it's all I have done for 30 years and I have it down to a science. Yes there are variables and no one here including me can give you the most accurate answer without seeing your kitchen job.

Who's complaining about the granite people? I don't know of a single granite dealer who takes longer then 3-4 days. And there are currently more granite dealers then pizza parlors and nail salons on each street corner. Competition is fierce and only the fastest granite dealers survive.

Who's complaining about lead time for cabinets? Whether you buy some cheap RTAs, or order long lead time custom made, or buy from a major cabinet manufacturer, you don't start tearing out till you have your delivery day set in stone. Then you time your tearout IE: your new walls, mechanical, flooring etc to be ready for cabinet delivery and then same day cabinet install.

It's all about coordinating your contractors.

No homeowner wants to be without a kitchen for weeks and weeks. To promise just 7 days without a kitchen has won me more jobs then I can shake a stick at.

Worrying about moving walls extending cabinet lead time? Then order from a major cabinet manufacturer who has a short lead time. The vast majority of them out there are from 3 weeks to 14 weeks. To me, excuse mua but that is unexcepable and unprofessional and they can all go to hell or out of business, which ever comes first. Try Merillat or any Masco product. Top quality with lead times of 5 business days anywhere in the USA. Amazing.

Now why can they do it and no other manufacturer can? Who cares, this is business and you should go with the best. 5 days delivered to the customer's door and your installer should be sitting there waiting for the truck so he can install after the truck is unloaded. Your installer will arrive with all new walls prepped, mechanical, electrical, floors all in place with appliances sitting already unboxed ready to install.

A good Kitchen Designer is invaluable to run kitchen remodels. They are not contractors but do guide the homeowner and/or the contractor from start to finish coordinating every event every step of the way including holding everyone's hand if need be.

The majority of my almost 7000 kitchens which are only average in size, I was able to tear out on Friday and by the next weekend the homeowners were cooking and eating in their new kitchen......many times inviting me and my guys.

The most amazing feeling on earth is to stand in a beautiful brand new kitchen that just one week ago was only a dream !!!!!!!!!!
conductor (06-26-2017)
Old 01-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: cabinet installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmrepairs View Post
6 weeks would be tight for me too. The granite place I use is usually 4 weeks out, so that is the pitfall. I would be more comforable saying 6-8 weeks, then when you finish in less, your the hero. .

It's amazing how different things like this are from state to state . Right now granite turnaround is 7 days from the day of the template to the day of install in my area . Used to be 2 weeks but they just aren't as busy . Ofcourse this is on in stock slabs .

Laminates that require templating are about 4 days . 3 if we beg / push them . Try not to do that to much . Used to be 7 days but again they are not that busy .
Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Cabinet View Post
A good Kitchen Designer is invaluable to run kitchen remodels.
I've never met a designer that could run a project with any efficiency whatsoever.

As far as the 1-1/2 week kitchen remodel, I guess we'll just have to take your word for it. How quickly do your inspectors move?

Edit: Just to clarify designer, I mean one who just designs kitchens. Not those contractors who do their own designs.

Last edited by rselectric1; 01-12-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed

Trade: Kitchen and bath design
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinet runner View Post
It's amazing how different things like this are from state to state . Right now granite turnaround is 7 days from the day of the template to the day of install in my area . Used to be 2 weeks but they just aren't as busy . Ofcourse this is on in stock slabs .

Laminates that require templating are about 4 days . 3 if we beg / push them . Try not to do that to much . Used to be 7 days but again they are not that busy .
Hey cabinet runner may I comment on your observations about granite lead times?

Back during the real boom times in Las Vegas when we were blowing up houses like they were party balloons, granite lead times was about 4 weeks. Well KB homes, known for cheap quick no frills new housing could not wait for the cabinets to be installed to order granite. So they would have the cabinets installed BEFORE THE DRYWALL and BEFORE EXTERIOR SHEETHING was installed. Just a stick framed house and we were installing cabinets!!!!

We were nailing scab pieces of drywall up to hang cabinets on a framed home. Yes only a framed home. We were driving away and looking in the rear view mirror would revel a stick framed home with cabinets hanging on the walls. The damnedest thing you ever seen. This way the granite people could come in an measure well in advance.

Oh the good ol days. 30 days from the first shovel in the ground to the day the home buyers moved in. Just 30 days. Amazing!!!!! I miss that excitement so much. Miss the money too.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: cabinet installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Cabinet View Post
I will just respond to your post here as I disagree with all the other answers and wanted to answer your Q about the moving walls scenario. . Your installer will arrive with all new walls prepped, mechanical, electrical, floors all in place with appliances sitting already unboxed ready to install. The most amazing feeling on earth is to stand in a beautiful brand new kitchen that just one week ago was only a dream !!!!!!!!!!

I agree with alot of what you are saying except the part about the installer waiting for the delivery truck to arrive . I stopped doing that awhile back and refuse to do it anymore .
Why should I have to show up and wait ? And god forbid they are delayed at another delivery site or get stuck , break down , take a long lunch/morning break , caught in traffic,pulled over ect , ect. . No thanks. I'll be there the next morning after they have been delivered . Working 1/2 days on kitchens that take 1 day to install is just foolish IMO .Costs me money .

One of the best changes I've made in awhile was ending that practice . I'd get mad when they were late an then try and rush to make up for lost time that was no fault of mine .

One of the showrooms I install for used to love to try and do it this way until I made it clear I would start charging for wait time . 9:00 delivery time turned into 11:30 one to many times. They ended that practice.

Good points on the rest of it though . We also don't start a tear out until the new cabinets are in the local warehouse .

Advertisement