Imported Cabinets (Don't Buy It) - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Imported Cabinets (Don't Buy It)

Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed

Trade: Kitchen and bath design
Rewards Points: 502

Imported Cabinets (Don't Buy It)

The cabinet industry has seen a flood of made in China cabinets lately. Chinese cabinet brands are laden with formaldehyde, sulfur and other glue resins which are illegal for American manufacturers to use because they are banned by the EPA and violates the CARE initiative. Chinese have no environmental restrictions or health organizations like we have here. Yet we allow those products to be imported here without question. These very inferior cabinets will likely delaminate in less then 3 years. Children exposed to fomaldehyde are at great risk of cancer at worse and asthma at best. Other glues and resins used in the manufacter of Chinese brand cabinets are banned in the USA but permitted to be imported. This includes other products like Chinese made sheetrock/drywall which also have thousands of documented cases of families getting sick and even several deaths.

When you see an ad advertising an all solid cherry wood kitchen for $999.00 you can bet the product comes from China. Because China steals the trees due to a bureaucratic disaster created in a treaty from back in the 1940s, they can afford to sell their product so cheap. China owns a large forest inside of Russia called Suifenhe which they owned since the 1940s. All the outgoing trains leave Suifenhe with just one valuable commodity.... wood, and lots of it. No machinery is used. 6 Chinese men each carry a log to the train to ship to a China mill. In the factories they have huge CNC machines that cut out all the componants that make up the various sized cabinet boxes. When one buys a cabinet they come in a box of pieces that the consumer has to assemble at home. This is not a strong box. Cam locks hold the box together. This and the labor paid to Chinese peasants who make these parts is laughable and allows China to sell cabinets so cheap.

China made cabinets only have limited sizes and styles and special cabinet boxes are not available.

Here is why Chinese cabinets are very bad:
1. The 5 ply panel stock is weak and delaminates in under 3 years. Formaldehyde weakens any glue and they use plenty of this dangerous toxin when manufacturing their plywood.
2.The finish almost looks like the cabinets were used. The finish appears dull and thin.
3. They do not use hardening agents in their clear coat. Hardening agents also allow the finish to dry instantly preventing dust to settle on the finish. You could scratch their doors with your finger nail.
4. The drawer guides are stamped a light guage white metal, not steel and are of such low quality that it is common to see the drawer collapse under just 15 pounds. Any American cabinet company uses Blum or Grass guides and their drawers are rated at 75 to 125 pounds.
5. You will never ever see a warranty on a Chinese cabinet. Little known to the consumer, say you scratch a door 3 months after your new kitchen is installed, with most domestic manufactures you can call up your cabinet supplier and order just the replacement door you need. With Chinese suppliers you have to reorder THE ENTIRE CABINET!! Make sure you ask your supplier about this and if they say you can actually get the part you need without ordering THE ENTIRE CABINET be sure to get that fact in writing!

Another warranty item to consider is that with all the regulatory issues and other nonsense going on with Chinese wood, many of the manufactures are looking to move their operations to other countries, this presents two big warranty problems #1 there is a high probability that the manufacturer will not be around in a year or two when you need the replacement part, and #2 changing wood and manufacturing plants will cause consistency issues with the finish and color, so your Mocha Java Glaze might look more like a Mochafrapuchino Java Glaze when the replacement part comes in!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #2

Trade: Home Construction/Reno
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Imported Cabinets (Don't Buy It)

Interesting. I haven't come across any china made cabinets. But with a price like that i'm shocked i havent seen any. I 've seen $15000 cabinet doors look like **** after a few years.. Personally i think all cabinets are overpriced

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed

Trade: Kitchen and bath design
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanh View Post
Interesting. I haven't come across any china made cabinets. But with a price like that i'm shocked i havent seen any. I 've seen $15000 cabinet doors look like **** after a few years.. Personally i think all cabinets are overpriced
Probably because the big box stores is the only place you ever looked. Like I said, they charge full list price for cabinets. No one pays list price anymore do they? I mean other then an uneducated consumer who is suckered by the big orange brand name.
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
The Remodeler

Trade: Home Remodeler
Rewards Points: 240

I used to think kitchen cabinets were nothing but overpriced boxes.... until I started designing and building them in the shop... There's a lot more to it than you think...

There are a lot of Chinese cabinet dealers here in NY. I see them advertised on CL everyday. I wont deal with anyone who wants to use these things. Price is their deciding factor, so they wont be able to afford my labor anyway.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #5

Trade: Kitchen Renovation
Rewards Points: 10

Quality must be given priority, installing low quality cabinets and the renovating it after a year will cost you the same. Hence its better to install the quality product once and enjoy for years. Those renovating their kitchen just to improve the resale value can also get quality cabinets at the most affordable prices, just analyze the market properly before buying any product.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
New Guy

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 14

Lets not forget ikea ! The worst chinese junk going that every yuppie wants installed in there house cause its cheap
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EASTSIDE For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (11-28-2012), Jimmy Cabinet (11-28-2012)
Old 11-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
New Guy

Trade: 940352
Rewards Points: 2

I have been putting cabinets together as a licensed contractor for several years and come across major differences in the quality of cabinets. One of the biggest misconceptions my clients have is they assume just because a product is made in China that it is cheap or low quality. Although low quality products do come out of China, so do good quality ones; Armani and Apple products are made in China. I've done several projects with some online cabinet stores and would like to recommend them because their products are darn good for the price you pay and the quality you get. They may not be for everyone, but if your shopping online for cabinets, give them a shot.

In the past 2 years I bought kitchens cabinets and vanities for about 20 houses from a RTA kitchen cabinets online wholesaler. My clients and I are complete satisfied with the product and the overall designing and ordering experience. Currently, about 70% of my clients choose their white shaker cabinets. Their products are made in China but they are way better than the white cabinets I got from other places. One piece solid wood door gives it a seamless look.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 11-17-2015 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Remove link
Old 11-17-2015, 05:17 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

What a shameless plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m1911 (03-04-2016), Youngin' (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
What a shameless plug.

For what, China?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASTSIDE View Post
Lets not forget ikea ! The worst chinese junk going that every yuppie wants installed in there house cause its cheap
...worst thing to happen to kitchens since HGTV / DIY Network...

I actually love the customer that has a double trash can to ensure they recycle every tidbit of everything in their house...and said they wanted to go with IKEA cabinets because "quality doesn't matter so much, who has walked into a 15 year old kitchen and thought, 'hey, that looks nice'" ...I fought the hard battle and lost...recycle only to trash your entire kitchen every 10 years...ok...
Old 11-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_d View Post
For what, China?

The blatant link that was removed from his post before you saw it.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
The blatant link that was removed from his post before you saw it.

Oh! Then yeah, what a jerk!
Old 03-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #13

Trade: Perfect World Design
Rewards Points: 4

I have never read a more uniformed post then the one above so I had to comment. I am a cabinet dealer and a partner in a high end custom millwork shop that has been around since the late 60's. Because of all of the hype that the imported lines use all of these bad things in their build process (which was probably true in the early days of Chinese cabinetry) most of them have cleaned up there products and gone to no formaldehyde based plywoods and low VOC based finishes. The kicker is most of the American companies have not. I sell a lot of cabinets that cost between 4-6 thousand for the average kitchen where as the American made conterparts from major manufactures would cost upwards of 17-25 thousand and most of them are particle board boxes. All of my Chinese lines use blum hinges and soft close drawer glides with 75-100lb rated glides and birch dovetail drawers. Are they perfect not even close but I just did a kitchen for someone that had three other quotes all of them over 13000 just for the cabinets I sold them to her for 4500. All plywood cabinets nice painted door and the trims and moldings to match. She could do her kitchen 3 times for what the others quoted. My point to all of this is do your research be educated and ask for proof that what the salesman tells you is true. Oh and so you all know, my millwork company still uses plywoods and particle boards with formaldehyde in it because it is half the price and so do all of the other local shops. (We all buy from the same sources.)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 34,044

Odd how the two pro-China cabinets posts are from new users...

PerfectWorld... just curious, why do you still do millwork if you can get it cheaper and better quality from China?

It's odd to me that on the one hand you say that the imports have "cleaned up their act" and as such are not using "formaldehyde based plywoods and low VOC based finishes" as the qualifier, but then go on to say that your "high end millwork shop" purposely uses "plywoods and particle boards with formaldehyde in it"...

Considering China sells knock-off's of all Blum products, why do you think they use them at a much higher cost?

Last edited by KAP; 03-02-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #15

Trade: Perfect World Design
Rewards Points: 4

90% of my customers can not afford my custom shop. The custom shop does mostly high end millwork for the commercial industry and a few very high end residential clients. My average project out of my shop is over 100 thousand not for the average person.

We use the least expensive product we can unless the specs say otherwise. My point was that most US companies are still using formaldehyde based products and not really concerned about Low VOC finishes. The reason the Chinese companies have updated there products is because of the pressure from US consumers. Everyone just assumes that the American companies comply to these same standards but most of them don't.

And I joined this blog just to respond to the Bull I was reading.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

Most of the chinese cabinets are assembled and painted in the U.S.A.

I went to one of the assembly plants in Brooklyn a few years ago. The wood gets shipped unfinished, where there are dozens of people assembling on jigs for each size and shape, then painted/stained.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmax718 For This Useful Post:
rrk (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 05:07 PM   #17
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,140

DEfine "chinese".

http://www.futureworld.org/PublicZon...ndBulletID=324
Old 03-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,648

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
Most of the chinese cabinets are assembled and painted in the U.S.A.

I went to one of the assembly plants in Brooklyn a few years ago. The wood gets shipped unfinished, where there are dozens of people assembling on jigs for each size and shape, then painted/stained.
Fabuwood? They are now in Jersey City, they get many containers of wood every day already machined.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 15,632

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Odd how the two pro-China cabinets posts are from new users...

PerfectWorld... just curious, why do you still do millwork if you can get it cheaper and better quality from China?

It's odd to me that on the one hand you say that the imports have "cleaned up their act" and as such are not using "formaldehyde based plywoods and low VOC based finishes" as the qualifier, but then go on to say that your "high end millwork shop" purposely uses "plywoods and particle boards with formaldehyde in it"...

Considering China sells knock-off's of all Blum products, why do you think they use them at a much higher cost?
Except first one was a new user from 6 years ago...
Old 03-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 34,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911 View Post
Except first one was a new user from 6 years ago...
You lost me... Nov 2015 and March 2016 are from 6 years ago?...

Advertisement