Home Made Cabinets - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Home Made Cabinets

Old 03-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 117

Home Made Cabinets

I need to remodel my own kitchen. I've been wrestling with the decision of building the cabs myself for years now. I don't mind spending time on the build and was considering buying the doors and drawer fronts.

Love to hear opinions on weather or not its worth it. My main concerns are the finish and hardware costs. The finish will be paint not stain or varnish.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: Home Made Cabinets

I don't think that there's any doubt.

Do it up!

You want to get hooked up with Atlantic ply in Woburn.

Advertisement

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,060

I'm going through the same thing
The primary reason I want to build is I hate fillers!
I just can't decide on a style, design or material....LOL
Funny how when you do this stuff for a living, you aren't so inspired to work on your own home. I will get it done........someday
The Following User Says Thank You to dave_dj1 For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (01-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentWhitten View Post
I don't think that there's any doubt.

Do it up!

You want to get hooked up with Atlantic ply in Woburn.
I've tried to purchase from them before. They were a bit less than friendly. I'll ususally buy from Boulter Plywood in Sommerville for the higher end built-ins.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by krist View Post
I need to remodel my own kitchen. I've been wrestling with the decision of building the cabs myself for years now. I don't mind spending time on the build and was considering buying the doors and drawer fronts.

Love to hear opinions on weather or not its worth it. My main concerns are the finish and hardware costs. The finish will be paint not stain or varnish.
Of course it is worth it, even if you outsource all the fronts... Since you are painting, just remember to get the same paint that is used from your door supplier for the fronts for the frames and mouldings. If you are proficient at painting, do them yourself. But to be honest, even if you are, I would just have them paint all the fronts, the frames and mouldings, as the difference really isn't that much by the time you buy the paint materials and it comes with a warranty...

Build everything else while you are waiting for the fronts (i.e. - drawers, susans, carcases and shelves, cutlery divider, spice rack, all the other components, etc.).

With it being painted, I would even have them bore all the hinge cup holes (or cover drill press with soft material). Yeah, the paint is durable enough, but metal vs. paint, metal usually wins, especially if there wasn't enough cure time, and if there ends up being a boo-boo, it's on their dime...

Best of luck... 8^)
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1
I will get it done........someday
Sure ya will.. :
Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
I've tried to purchase from them before. They were a bit less than friendly. I'll ususally buy from Boulter Plywood in Sommerville for the higher end built-ins.
LOL...yeah...they have a tendency to reject anyone that is not a full time cabinet shop. Even Leo had a tough time. Two builders I work for went in to buy from them and got rejected also.

Glad to hear that you didn't say HD

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 03-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
Of course it is worth it, even if you outsource all the fronts... Since you are painting, just remember to get the same paint that is used from your door supplier for the fronts for the frames and mouldings. If you are proficient at painting, do them yourself. But to be honest, even if you are, I would just have them paint all the fronts, the frames and mouldings, as the difference really isn't that much by the time you buy the paint materials and it comes with a warranty...

Build everything else while you are waiting for the fronts (i.e. - drawers, susans, carcases and shelves, cutlery divider, spice rack, all the other components, etc.).

With it being painted, I would even have them bore all the hinge cup holes (or cover drill press with soft material). Yeah, the paint is durable enough, but metal vs. paint, metal usually wins, especially if there wasn't enough cure time, and if there ends up being a boo-boo, it's on their dime...

Best of luck... 8^)
I'll stay far away from the finishing aspect. The wife is, more than likely, gonna expect some sort of expensive finishing detail like glazing. I know a guy, about 20 min from me that specializes in furniture and cab finishing.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 11,099

Define "worth it".

If you mean you will spend less on the customs stuff-- forget it. The cost of the materials will likely come close or exceed the cost of store bought.

If you mean worth it as you get what you want, you can't beat custom.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,534

The lumber is cheap, it's the damn ply, hardware and then paying Leo to finish them that adds up..
Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
LRG WoodCrafting

My labor is free if I am doing it for myself. But that would give you the impression that I would actually do this for myself.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Define "worth it".

If you mean you will spend less on the customs stuff-- forget it. The cost of the materials will likely come close or exceed the cost of store bought.

If you mean worth it as you get what you want, you can't beat custom.
That's the info I was afraid of. Guess I'm gonna have ta put the stinkin time in to price a section out.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Define "worth it".

Leo, maybe I read this wrong... are you saying that making your own custom cabs is close to or what you would buy them retail?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
That's the info I was afraid of. Guess I'm gonna have ta put the stinkin time in to price a section out.
Krist, if you outsource your fonts, etc. you are paying per square, whether they measure it in inches or foot... The advantage to custom is that can be whatever you want... Stock to semi-stock, you are stuck with 3" increments mostly and low-end finishes.

If I could get a custom cabinet job for close or at retail, why would we make our own? I don't how that can be anywhere near the case. Try these companies for door, drawers, moldings, face-frames...

www.eliaswoodwork.com ($1800 order gets you FREE shipping)
www.conestogawood.com
www.walzcraft.com

Your fronts are the most expensive part of the job, as it consists of the hardwood and finishes. The ply is the least expensive part of the job. It works out to around $2-2.50 a sf for 3/4" pre-finished... It is also the part of the job you do using one half of your brain... cutting an assembling cabs is not hard work. Neither is making some dovetail drawers or other accessories...

I re-did my in-laws kitchen (39lf top and bottom or 23lf vertical depending on how you measure lf and included a frig cab) with corian tops/sink (43sf - including an island with double access - a total of three tops) for around $5.5K. This was all FAS, dovetail drawers, wood susans in the bottom corner and upper corner cab, drawer bank, garbage/recycle, moldings. shelves with hardwood edging, etc..

This was for the product... this was a cost job. This was about 8 years ago... and material prices for cabinetry haven't changed THAT much...

So I am frankly confused and don't know how people are saying that it would cost almost the same or more for custom in a retail setting.

Maybe there is a different definition of custom that I am not aware of... who know?...

Last edited by KAP; 03-11-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
LRG WoodCrafting

Quote:
Leo, maybe I read this wrong... are you saying that making your own custom cabs is close to or what you would buy them retail?
Yes. For the price of materials you could buy some box cabinets that are ready to install. They will be of inferior quality (at least to my building techniques) but they will be ready to be put up. If you are going wall to wall then you will likely need fillers. If you are going wall to end of run then you won't likely need fillers.

I am also talking about cabinet grade veneered plywood. Not the stuff you will find at a box store for $45
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
WICKED WOODCHUCKER

Trade: Finish carpentry, drywall, Tile
Rewards Points: 500

I built my own in our last house and out sourced the fronts. They came out great. Wish i had the talent to do the fronts too but i am far from a cabnit maker. i say go for it!
you will be glad you did. Save a lot of money!!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Pro

Kap, I would build everything except the doors and drawer fronts. I have made them before but just not on a whole kitchen scalewise. I don't have a shaper or even a decent router table. I'd be building in the outlaw's barn (no legitamate shop). I'd also like to build a section or run at a time to help keep the bills at bay.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Yes. For the price of materials you could buy some box cabinets that are ready to install. They will be of inferior quality (at least to my building techniques) but they will be ready to be put up. If you are going wall to wall then you will likely need fillers. If you are going wall to end of run then you won't likely need fillers.

I am also talking about cabinet grade veneered plywood. Not the stuff you will find at a box store for $45
Oh, I see... you are comparing stock and/or semi-stock to what custom would cost to produce yourself. I thought you meant custom yourself vs. custom in the store. Even so, unless it is crap cabinets, I disagree.

I did a kitchen job as a favor for an elderly couple (from Church whom became like family) who was getting ready to get hosed by someone wanting a ton of money to just paint their cabinets. They had a total of 19 cabinets in their kitchen, and to make sure they didn't think I was taking advantage of them, I took the same drawings to HD and Lowes, so they could have perspective and they quoted the cabinets (Kraftmaid semi-custom) out at $10,500 & $11, 250, and that was for the cabinets alone. Now even though I did this job as a favor, our cost for these cabinets were about $5850, far below the semi-custom retail and it was all FAS, dovetail, Blum undermounts, bells and whistles, etc... Remember, this was for custom cabinets...

krist,

Regardless, if it's for your own home and you plan on being there a while, I would suggest doing it right, and making your wife happy with all the bells and whistles. She will brag to anyone who comes into your home. Why wouldn't you want to give your wife the best anyway?

You are going to have to lay it out no matter what... do so, and fax it to HD or Lowes or your favorite stock/semi-custom source for a quote. Then get the quote for fronts, etc. from the above sources... I am quite confident it will be less... one of the main reasons? there is no middleman for all the components... it all goes back into your pocket... Let us know how it works out...

Last edited by KAP; 03-11-2012 at 07:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
krist (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
Giving it my best

Trade: Cabinet Maker and Residential Remodeler
Rewards Points: 512

Quote:

You are going to have to lay it out no matter what... do so, and fax it to HD or Lowes or your favorite stock/semi-custom source for a quote. Then get the quote for fronts, etc. from the above sources... I am quote confident it will be less... one of the main reasons? there is no middleman for all the components... it all goes back into your pocket... Let us know how it works out...
Good post - great summary
Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
Trees are Cool

Trade: Carpenter Builder
Rewards Points: 215

The cost of the material will be what it costs to buy pre made cabinets. Millwork companies buy in bulk and get good pricing on everything from the plywood to the hardware. They have standard designs and cnc machines for making the parts. They are set up to handle the product and finish it too. It is impossible to beat the prices. Build the cabinets for yourself. It is great process and you will be rewarded and gain lots of knowledge. There are so many options for the door fronts that even the mill shops buy them form door makers. Just be meticulous in your layout and it will all work out. It is hard to work at home but can be rewarding too. Good luck and have fun.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to pdmig For This Useful Post:
krist (03-11-2012)