Custom Ikea - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Custom Ikea

Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 562

Custom Ikea

Hey there. Just curious how people manage Ikea with custom drawers and doors. Do you install custom front panel directly on drawer hardware, or get an inset face from Ikea?

Does the Blum minipress cover all holes or just the hinges? I don't recall if the Ikea sliders are Blum as well. Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #2
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 308

Re: Custom Ikea

It's been a while since I did one of these but I just bought their cheapest drawer front for each width and used that to make a template so my fronts could mount directly to the hardware. If you had a complex door style then the inset might be a better way to go.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
sbcontracting (05-10-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
It's been a while since I did one of these but I just bought their cheapest drawer front for each width and used that to make a template so my fronts could mount directly to the hardware. If you had a complex door style then the inset might be a better way to go.
Do you have a couple of pictures of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Talking Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unger.const View Post
Do you have a couple of pictures of these?
Probably, but not details of the construction. It looks exactly like the Ikea cab would but with the custom door/drawer fronts.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
It's been a while since I did one of these but I just bought their cheapest drawer front for each width and used that to make a template so my fronts could mount directly to the hardware. .
I've ask HO to get a few sizes of all drawers. More concerned now about my spacing between door faces and drawers. IKEA is pretty standard with their panels being 1/8 smaller than the catalog size (Eg. - 5x24 face becomes 4 7/8 x 23 7/8) That will work well in some cases, but may also be too tight elsewhere. Esp. when the cab door mfr's tolerance is +- 1/16.

What's your preferred gap size? 3/16 feels safe but on the large size, 1/4 way too big, and 1/8 risky.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
Talking Head

I followed the exact sizing that Ikea uses. If things get a hair snug on a run you can always adjust the ends out a bit and then balance the rest of the doors. The Blum has a lot of travel so you can pick up an extra 1/4" on a run.

Advertisement