Cupped Laminate Tops - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Cupped Laminate Tops

Old 06-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: a little bit of everything, roofing, windows, doors, kitchen & bath remodels
Rewards Points: 244

Cupped Laminate Tops

What I am dealing with is brand new tops that are particle board substrate and are excessively cupped. For instance i have a butt joint that I am currently working on that is cupped both length and width wise. Each side is about 6' long and when the joint is joined and the top secured to the wall brackets and cleats after having one person applying all his weight while securing this leaves the butt joint about a 1/4" higher than the rest of the top. I back beveled the butt joint on both sides to fit the laminate edge better. The shop that the tops came from suggested laying them on saw horses and adding weight to the ends and counter acting the cupping action 1-3 days for this. I figure if they are currently cup they would return after the weight is removed. I did try adding some home made brackets to help pull the butt joint down but got little results. Any other suggestions.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2015, 11:21 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 434

Re: Cupped Laminate Tops

Bad substrate or it got wet.

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 01:07 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

I place of your supplier giving suggestions to fix them they should be spending the time making new tops.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-19-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,720

New tops... particle board doesn't go back in time...
Old 06-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: a little bit of everything, roofing, windows, doors, kitchen & bath remodels
Rewards Points: 244

My thoughts exactly. I think they are coming up with other ideas since they have already spent a ton of time/money reworking cabinets that they built for this job. Thanks.