Corian Countertop - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Corian Countertop

Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
my own boss

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Corian Countertop

last wednesday, the 7th?..i started this corian(sp) countertop, it was around 65 degrees, forcasted to drop in the teens by friday morning, so i got it all glued up wed. evening thinking i was gonna finish it thurs. a.m. the storm hit early so this top sat in below freezing since friday afternoon.

dim. 1/2" x 8'L x (center 36") 30"W w/3"radii x (one end w/8" radii) 24"W and the other 24" end square. sorry, best discription i got with no picture.

so i make my profile on the top and precede to build the faces down to 3 layers. i got the high speed gluegun, im making sure i got glue squirtin out the sides everywhere, every thing was positioned and clamped within 2 minutes and i waited 60 minutes before i removed the clamps and moved it for the first run.

monday a.m. 17 degrees, i show up and turn the heat on, a little bullet kerosene, i take all the clamps off , and with a guy on each end, holding towards the center of the front, we slowly start to stand it . halfway up it sounded like it broke in half.

the face of my 36 x 30 has a seperation line between the top and the middle layer. i have one inside radius that seemed to also have"broken".

i have several questions on this material so all responses are welcomed.

1.glue

2.clamps

3.working temperatures

im worried that even if i cut the face back, is it possible the the bond has cracked through out and i will always have some "seperation lines" in the face?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement