Concrete Countertops - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Concrete Countertops

Old 03-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Concrete Countertops

hey guys,

anybody here work with concrete countertops? I was searching the web for some interesting and unique ways of desigining a kitchen, and this came up. seems pretty expensive. anybody doing these?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Concrete Countertops

yes, i have been in the concrete counter biz for about 3 years now, i love it, check out my website http://concretecentral.net, pm me if i can help, Gene

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor / REO Repairs

Hey, I'm glad this thread popped up. I have been interested in learning more about concrete counter tops. I love the look of concrete.

Are they more or less durable than granite? How about absorbing bacteria like granite?

Here is the big question... what about time? Are they quicker or longer to install? Do you need to make a mold AFTER the cabinets are in?

I'm all about speed. I cant to find solutions to speed up the install of a high end kitchen? Is concrete the answer?
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
yes, i have been in the concrete counter biz for about 3 years now, i love it, check out my website http://concretecentral.net, pm me if i can help, Gene
the distress slate in your portfolio is absolutely amazing! I shutter to think what that costs per square foot... you do incredible work, sir.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathersonfab View Post
Hey, I'm glad this thread popped up. I have been interested in learning more about concrete counter tops. I love the look of concrete.

Are they more or less durable than granite? How about absorbing bacteria like granite?

Here is the big question... what about time? Are they quicker or longer to install? Do you need to make a mold AFTER the cabinets are in?

I'm all about speed. I cant to find solutions to speed up the install of a high end kitchen? Is concrete the answer?
no, concrete will not save time, between the template, mold making , and dry time, it will not be a time saver. it is a process that produces incredible results, 90 to 140 per sq ft, check out my website above, i have a FAQ page
Old 03-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,748

I wish genecarp was closer, Ive been looking into doing concrete as well. I have a vanity at my house I would love to try and experiment on. What is the mix for them, I would assume it is not standard quikmix.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

6 string mason will be here soon. I like his work on concrete counters.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #8

Trade: 22 yrs ceramic tile, stone & wood flooring
Rewards Points: 10

genecarp
I have been wanting to do these in my house. Could you tell us what kind of mix you need. I watched a few videos on youtube on this and one guy has a style he uses by putting a almost dry mix leaving gaps and holes then he flips it over and fills the voids in with another color. Looks alot like granite
your site looks great
Old 04-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 1,136

That was probably buddy rhodes pressed mix. I've done that a few times on samples. It turns out pretty nice.

If youre a first timer and just doing them for your home, you probably dont need to mess around with your own mix design. Using regular quikcrete 5000psi mix is good. You have to mix it with a very loose slump with the quikcrete though, as I found it likes to trap air.

My out time for countertops is usually about 4 weeks. And as far as cost goes, I would say with how many granite fab shops are popping up, and big box retailers gettin in the game, concrete will be a good deal more than granite.

One thing to remember is with concrete, youre paying for a %100 made from hand product. Its going to be a very unique thing to have and wont be any like yours anywhere.

Thanks for the plug framerman!

Advertisement

http://www.concretecountertopsdesign.com/