Apartment Condos - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Apartment Condos

Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 562

Apartment Condos

I'm about to look at a job in a condo - bathroom is on 4th or 5th floor, concrete.

They want to change the layout. How possible is this? Specifically:
--Convert bathtub to bath/shower combo. Appears there is a double wall for the plumbing, shouldnt be a problem.
--Remove a shower, and convert to storage. Not sure on how condo rules apply to changing plumbing. My guess is you can't mess w/ structural/fixed elements like concrete walls, floors, firewalls, etc. But not sure about a shower drain - can it be capped?

I was in a condo not so long ago where they plugged a drain for a washing machine - but the shower in this case is in the floor.

Ideas? Just want to be prepared for the estimate.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Apartment Condos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcontracting View Post
I'm about to look at a job in a condo - bathroom is on 4th or 5th floor, concrete.

They want to change the layout. How possible is this? Specifically:
--Convert bathtub to bath/shower combo. Appears there is a double wall for the plumbing, shouldnt be a problem.
--Remove a shower, and convert to storage. Not sure on how condo rules apply to changing plumbing. My guess is you can't mess w/ structural/fixed elements like concrete walls, floors, firewalls, etc. But not sure about a shower drain - can it be capped?

I was in a condo not so long ago where they plugged a drain for a washing machine - but the shower in this case is in the floor.

Ideas? Just want to be prepared for the estimate.
Steve a lot of my projects here in Vancouver are in high rise condo's. You will need to consider the installation of fire blocking in all your repair work and work in brass, copper, steel or cast iron fixtures.

Quick Drain USA has a side outlet linear drain that can work magic in revamping an entire condo. Give me a call and I'll tell you more about it.

JW

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 748

does that double wall have a vent stack or drain from upper floors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 562

It's funny how apartments or condo's require a designer or architect for approval of a permit. Because a designer or architect was probably the one responsible for doing the initial design which is a little strange.

I would just want to plug the shower drain and remove it, if anything. The double wall likely is a common wall with vent/drain for units. The ceiling is also a foot lower to accommodate the bathroom for the unit one floor above.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,420

Here they also have condo associations, same goes for townhouses, you have to submit application to the board if you want to make changes to the unit, even if you replacing outside stairs, you have to get a letter of approval, because everything must meet theirs requirements.
Some associations also hire architects to review the proposed changes to the structure and if they turn it down, township will not issue permit without approval letter from the association.
I looked at addition a few months ago, they wanted convert the cathedral ceiling area into a 3d bedroom, like some of the models had and association turned them down, now they in a lawsuit.