Anyone Want To Share What Your Proposals Look Like? - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Anyone Want To Share What Your Proposals Look Like?

Old 06-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential and Commercial Remodeling
Rewards Points: 536

Anyone Want To Share What Your Proposals Look Like?

I'm working on changing ours a bit. I've decided to use headings for each area then list with bullets what exactly is to be done. But I'm not sure if I've titled them or organized them well. For example:

Bathroom Remodel:

Demo/Framing:
-

Windows/Doors:
-

Plumbing:
-

Electrical/Lighting:
-

Drywall/Molding/Paint:
-

Cabinets/Countertop/Backsplash:
-

Sink/Faucet:
-

Shower/Tub/Fixtures:
-

Flooring:
-

Toilet:
-

Mirror/Accessories:
-

Permits:
-

Other:
-

What do you think? Does it make sense? Sometimes I confuse myself as to what goes under plumbing and what goes under bath/shower fixtures. And where would vent fan go? Anyone want to share how yours looks? I've honestly never seen another company's proposal. I'm sort of a virgin in that way I guess!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Home Improvement Guy

Trade: Renovations contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Anyone Want To Share What Your Proposals Look Like?

No way I'm sharing mine, It's top secret

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 04:31 PM   #3

Each of our forms is custom to fit the particular job. We write ours up in word. For us this is the best way because as you may know every job is a little bit different than the last.

Your proposal looks good.

You might want to consider keeping plumbing and fixtures seperate as you have now. Under plumbing.....this would be where you put your labor to install the fixtures and any changes in drains/water supply lines. Fixtures would be where you have the costs of said with their associated mark-up. Keeps things simple if there is ever a change.

Create a new heading for HVAC... to cover fans and any register relocations.

Also, create a heading for roofing in case venting needs to go through the roof.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
Pro

Thanks Gordo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron schenker
I know it's top secret business. I'm kinda the same way, but then I thought about it, and it's not really that original or "top secret" of a thing. If anyone wanted to they could call us up and get a "free" estimate, and I could call any of the many company's that leave door hangers and get several proposals to check out for free also, but I wouldn't waste someon'e time like that. Plus our kitchen is already under construction so that wouldn't work out so well either!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
FRAME ON!

Trade: Decks,All phases of remodeling,
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron schenker

Word-
Old 06-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa
I'm working on changing ours a bit. I've decided to use headings for each area then list with bullets what exactly is to be done. But I'm not sure if I've titled them or organized them well. For example:

Bathroom Remodel:

Demo/Framing:
-

Windows/Doors:
-

Plumbing:
-

Electrical/Lighting:
-

Drywall/Molding/Paint:
-

Cabinets/Countertop/Backsplash:
-

Sink/Faucet:
-

Shower/Tub/Fixtures:
-

Flooring:
-

Toilet:
-

Mirror/Accessories:
-

Permits:
-

Other:
-

What do you think? Does it make sense? Sometimes I confuse myself as to what goes under plumbing and what goes under bath/shower fixtures. And where would vent fan go? Anyone want to share how yours looks? I've honestly never seen another company's proposal. I'm sort of a virgin in that way I guess!

Not a proposal, - - but here's an example of my bathroom 'check-off' form (for my own use when figuring the estimate).

Last edited by Tom R; 12-01-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:06 AM   #7
Pro

Very cool Tom! This list has got it all!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Tom
That is truly a thing of beauty.
If I was that organized, I might start making money!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

I thought you were asking about a proposal, but it sounds like you might be jumping back and forth between a proposal and a device for you to use to determine your costs. To me they are two different items.

I think customers care more about "Install Moen Kinglsey Roman Bath Filler w Hand Sprayer in Nickle Finish in back right corner of jetted tub", I don't really think customers care about "plumbing" as a broad category if it is describing running new lines to connect to that faucet or moving drains to connect to that new jetted tub.

For your estimating system you certainly need all the behind the scene details, but for a proposal to a customer I think it just ends up confusing them. If you are doing it like Gordo is and showing them costs and markup and breaking out everything including installation then I guess that would be a different story, but on a fixed price contract I don't see the reason to do it.

Also, I would say is to always keep your end user in mind. Stuff like HVAC or MECHANICAL is industry jargon and if I understand you correctly, you aren't writing this for anyone in the industry like a sub, but for a customer. I suggest to keep it segmented in a way that makes sense to a customer.

For example if you were going to install a tile floor with MDF base boards and a under tile heated floor system. Instead of breaking this up into

Demo
Flooring
Trim
Elec

It would simply be under
Master Bathroom Floor

Last edited by Mike Finley; 11-17-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: kitchen cabinet maker and installer

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Mike on this one, the forms shown mostly appear to be aide-memoires to ensure that everything is costed out before the proposal itself is written

My proposals tend to take the form of a letter which simply says that the kitchen discussed (and I then would mention the items such as sink taps and anything else I was buying in on their behalf) would cost £xx,***. I then remind them of the services that would be included, those that would not be included, and layout my payment terms

John
Old 11-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by john elliott View Post
I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with Mike on this one,
John
That's just a great sign of personal growth, don't ever feel embarrassed to feel good about something like that.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:08 AM   #12
Pro

Wow! I'm glad you two made up!

Yes, I was talking about Proposals to hand to the customer.

I've changed it a teensy bit since then. I broke it down a little more. It makes for a long proposal, but it works for now.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Contractor will commence work on ________________ (the “Start Date”) The Start Date is subject to issuance of applicable permits, permissible weather and ground conditions as well as other delays beyond the Contractor’s control, including without limitation to weather and ground conditions prior to the Start Date, emergencies, materials, deliveries, or sickness. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Contractor will complete work on _________________ (the “End Date”). The end date is subject to permissible weather and ground conditions and delays beyond the contractor’s control, including without limitation, emergencies, materials, deliveries or sickness. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Owner shall locate all property lines to the Contractors satisfaction.
  • Owner shall pay Contractor for the work and materials the sum of $___________
a. A deposit of $
b.
c.
d. (d.) When Work is Complete
  • <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in -1.25in 0pt 0in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Payment under this contract not paid when due will incur a late charge of 5.0% per month of the unpaid balance.
  • In the event the Contractor hires an attorney to file a mechanics lien or otherwise enforces the terms of this Contract,
Contractor shall be entitled to collect all reasonable attorney and collection fees incurred by it.
  • If payments are not made when due Contractor may suspend work without prejudice until such times as all payments
Been made.
  • Contractor warrants for one year the date of this Contract that the work it performs pursuant to this Contract, will be
Done in a good and workman like manner. “Liner sags”, resulting from normal care and settling and any determination from normal wear and tear will not constitute defects in workmanship. Contractor is not responsible for “hidden damage” to pool floor or walls before or after pool is drained. Contractor is not responsible for “liner floating” due to hydrostatic pressure.
  • <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in -1.25in 0pt 0in; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">This contract contains the entire agreement between parties and supercedes all previous discussions and agreements between Contractor and Owner.
  • All changes in the terms and conditions of this contract shall be in writing and signed by the parties. Notwithstanding the preceding sentence. Owner acknowledges that the Contractor may be required to modify of change the specifications in an emergency without first obtaining the Owner’s approval. In such event, Contractor shall provide owner, as soon as practible thereafter, a written change order to be signed by both Contractor and Owner
showed ya my language,,, show me yours

Advertisement