AKW-Medicare - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

AKW-Medicare

Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 60

AKW-Medicare

Does anyone here have experience with working with AKW?

Any Working-Dealers?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Making Things Accessible

Trade: Wheelchair Accessible Housing
Rewards Points: 103

Re: AKW-Medicare

Yes - I have used most of their product lines with a lot of success. Here's a picture of my most recent project using their shower floor and wall mounted shower seat.

What are you looking to do?
Attached Thumbnails
AKW-Medicare-image001.jpg   AKW-Medicare-image003.jpg   AKW-Medicare-img_2783.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 60

Eric - nice work.

I am looking to become a Working-Dealer for AKW here in Western Oregon. Currently, I am a general contractor doing about any kind of work I can get, however after obtaining my CAPS certification and talking with AKW I am looking at specializing in Aging-In-Place type modifications.

I was inquiring to hear about other's experiences working with AKW. It is good to hear you've had success with their products. Did you use the Tuff-Form floor? Then it looks like you put vinyl over the Tuff-Form, I had not thought of that. Only considered tile.

Thanks for the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Making Things Accessible

I had a lunch meeting last week with Kevin Kahmann, founder of Beyond Barriers, who was bought by AKW. He's the guy behind the line. Apparently, AKW is going with a few distributors nationally and contractors will have to buy their product from the distributors. The contractor/dealers will have to invest $5000 into the product line. This is really tentative but that's the basic structure which could change. The $5000 committment isn't much if you're doing more that 3-4 showers per year.

Yes, that's the Tuff Form in the picture. I went with the heat welded sheet good over top which also is water tight. Between the Tuff Form water barrier system and heat welded flooring, there shouldn't be any problems with leaks. I stayed away from tile on this job due to maintenance/cleaning.

The AKW product line is good but expensive. The Tuff Form allows you to save money on the shower construction but the other products are expensive (but good) in comparison to the alternatives.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #5

Trade: Bath Remodel
Rewards Points: 10

I have a similar situation in which I have been asked to invest $5,000 and see a good upside. I would like to know about a year later how your experience has gone and if you would do it again? All info is very helpful. Thank you
Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
Making Things Accessible

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor111 View Post
I have a similar situation in which I have been asked to invest $5,000 and see a good upside. I would like to know about a year later how your experience has gone and if you would do it again? All info is very helpful. Thank you
When I posted that thread, AKW was trying to sell $5000 kit/committments to contractors but that program is now eliminated. If you want to do an AKW shower, send me a private message with your phone and I'll help you connect the dots. Gotta run.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #7

Trade: Bath Remodel
Rewards Points: 10

My situation is not about the showers or AKW but involves Kevin. I just wanted to make sure he delivers on promises and is good to do business with.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Rewards Points: 2,000

Thanks for the pictures Eric. I am chatting with a few builders online and trying to get more pictures of the install process. I would like to see how the drain cnnects to the waste line.

I can find no pictures with the unit tiled online.

I would like to see pictures of the waterproofing process and the flood testing procedures.

How does this shower base get flood tested?

I have contacted "Head Office" in Belgium and am waiting for more information.

Any insight would be great.

Have you used this shower pan in the center of a room before and pitched out from there?

JW

By Any Design Ltd.
North Vancouver
(604) 506 6792

Advertisement

Last edited by JohnFRWhipple; 03-02-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Title change to AKW Tuff Form Shower Pan

Tags
akw , caps , handicap shower , ramps , roll in showers