ADA Compliance - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

ADA Compliance

Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Bobrick Distributor

Trade: Commercial Toilet Partitions Wholesaler
Rewards Points: 10

ADA Compliance

I'm in the business of public restrooms. One of the questions we always always always get about our products is "is it handicap accessible?" I was just wondering what the hardest ADA guideline to meet is for architects, designers and contractors - some say it's the size of the bathroom stalls, or cramming in all the space necessary while keeping a nice design. Thoughts?
We are a commercial restroom product supplier located in the area of San Diego California. We offer a wide range of products with industry leading manufacturers. We have a very large selection of Bobrick Toilet Accessories, and Bobrick bathroom furnishings.
Visit us at http://www.washroominc.com/ to see all the Bobrick Products we have to offer.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

Re: ADA Compliance

It would probably be opening, and holding open, the main restroom door/doors. Along with restrictions in that area, as well as possible turns.

Advertisement

Last edited by Willie T; 02-01-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Turning radius when retrofitting and no way to make an acceptable 36" diameter while trying to stay within a 3 point turning radius.

Btw, I use Bobrick exclusively from my local supplier, great products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #4

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

The biggest concern on handicap acessable bathrooms are making the stalls wide enough as well as grab bar placement and suffiecent backing on the bars themselves. If you look on your plans most of the time you will see a circle in the middle of the handicap stall. This represents the standard turning radius of a wheel chair. Also sink placement. Larger doors threshhold height not exceeding 3/4 of an inch etc, etc, etc. thats all major issues with the handicap baths
Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Master View Post
Turning radius when retrofitting and no way to make an acceptable 36" diameter while trying to stay within a 3 point turning radius.
This seems to be a issue alot of times.

And making sure all the backing is in and adequate.

Alot of times there are no ADA drawings with the plans for the bathrooms Why is that?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Because most architects believe that its not their job to spec out ADA compliance issues,but rather that of the supplier to tell you. Problem is, if the archy doesn't know what is going to go where,he can't/won't spec the proper blocking for the fixtures

I've gotten prints like this one...

ADA Compliance-forumrunner_20120202_125026.png

And made them change it to this before I do the work...

ADA Compliance-forumrunner_20120202_125123.png

It's still bare minimum,but at least I don't have to fight with everyone as to why I altered the field dimensions to code and went against the plans.

These are a little better,but still don't call out for blocking and location...

ADA Compliance-forumrunner_20120202_125339.png

ADA Compliance-forumrunner_20120202_125352.png

So now what i do is give an allowance for blocking and ADA assemblies such as tilted mirrors,adjusted ctops and grab bars and than V.I.F. just where everything is to go. Than have my supplier sketch it up and submit for an addendum to the plan to be included with the as builts.

It's more time and money on their end,but until they learn not to omit such important assemblies,this is the route I have to take.

Now,trying to get a 4' length out of a bathroom that's 3',that's a different story

Advertisement

Last edited by Mud Master; 02-02-2012 at 01:00 PM.