Acrylic Or Epoxy Over Glass Tile For Floor Trim Accent? - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

Acrylic Or Epoxy Over Glass Tile For Floor Trim Accent?

Old 06-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #1

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 18
Question

Acrylic Or Epoxy Over Glass Tile For Floor Trim Accent?

[yes, I am reposting this. Because it was NOT answered sufficiently in the floor thread. Unless the mod believes that the hardwood guys in flooring know more about tile than the guys in kitch& bath]

Any tile guys:

This floor transition will use a small (2" wide) row of backsplash tiles as an accent trim, flush with the adjacent floorings. One tile guy suggested I use a 1/16th" acrylic layer on top to strengthen the glass for foot traffic, but i was considering an epoxy as a stronger alternative. Any thoughts on final clarity, possible hazing, and resistance to scratching or cracking with these 2 options? Are there other products I should consider for this strengthening top layer?

**While I appreciate anyone trying to help, if you don't have constructive advice for this solution, then please don't bother replying. Why waste your time and mine?**

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 3,800

Re: Acrylic Or Epoxy Over Glass Tile For Floor Trim Accent?

http://www.diychatroom.com

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Craftsman

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 324

**While I appreciate anyone trying to help, if you don't have constructive advice for this solution, then please don't bother replying. Why waste your time and mine?** :thumb up: [/QUOTE]

I'll give it a shot…dunno what was posted in the other thread, don't really care much either.

Glass mosaics for backsplash aren't likely rated for foot traffic. There are glass tiles specifically engineered for floors standing up to foot wear and tear, as well as coated with anti-slip properties. They are often put down over crack suppression systems as well.

Even though you're creating an accent, if it's being walked on you might not want to try and invent the wheel here with coatings, and instead look at the countless options built for the specific task. Unless it's your own house and you're willing to try something new there assuming any/all risks.

Just trying to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to conductor For This Useful Post:
OhmWrecker (06-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhmWrecker View Post
[yes, I am reposting this. Because it was NOT answered sufficiently in the floor thread. Unless the mod believes that the hardwood guys in flooring know more about tile than the guys in kitch& bath]
News flash: You were given the correct advice in that thread, by professional contractors who do know plenty about tile. Flooring includes tile work, in case you hadn't noticed. Starting multiple threads on the same subject is not only against forum policy, it will not get you what you want to hear as opposed to good advice.

This thread is closed.