12 Year Old Tile Shower Fail - Kitchens & Baths - Contractor Talk

12 Year Old Tile Shower Fail

Old 12-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 56

12 Year Old Tile Shower Fail

Hi guys, I do about 12+ tile showers/tubs a year, typically.
I just finished a tile tub surround in a customers main bath and now their master tile shower is leaking. It was installed 12 years ago, 1 year before they bought the house and don't know who did the install, however, just now, it started leaking. Sadly, it's on the 2nd floor above their kitchen.
They want the floor "retiled".
After determining it was not the valves and was indeed a failed pan.
It looking like it's a traditional mud deck with pvc membrane pan. My thought is remove 2 layers of tile all the way around above curb and remove the entire base and reinstall with kerdi. I'm not a Schuler guy, and have typically done it the old traditional way. any inside on handling this as the customer does NOT want a full tear out.
Attached Thumbnails
12 year old tile shower fail-1419047456001.jpg   12 year old tile shower fail-1419047528675.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #2
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,144

Re: 12 Year Old Tile Shower Fail

You are going to get a variety of answers on this one and it's been covered a few times. I don't touch repairs like this. For me to go in and fix it, the shower gets rebuilt. And here's why.

1) You cannot tie into the exiting water proofing on the walls (if there is any)

2) You create a weak point around the entire perimeter of the shower.

3) You will be the last to touch it, so you own it. Any further issues can and may be attributed to you and what you did. It's not fair, but it's the way the world works.

4) It's not that much more to just pull the rest of the walls and build a new 100% waterproof shower system.

Advertisement

Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
avenge (12-20-2014), BlueRidgeGreen (12-21-2014), CarpenterSFO (12-21-2014), charimon (12-20-2014), Lugnut1968 (12-20-2014), srwcontracting (01-05-2015), sycamorebob (01-14-2015)
Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
Business Owner

Trade: Schluter Systems ASD, General Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 330

Yea you could do it that way, but I certainly would never put my name on a project where I could only guarantee 6" above the pan to be waterproofed... Also who knows how long the pan has been leaking and what other damage it has caused in the past 12 years, I would find it very necessary to uncover that.

Like TNT said you touch it, you own it and in the long run you could really be stepping over a dime to pick up a penny.

When a customer or GC won't let me do a job correctly and to my own minimum code I walk...

I suggest a full tear out to at least 60" and making any necessary repairs following with a bonding flange properly sloped pan and kerdi all the way up the walls.

Good Luck
avenge (12-20-2014), TNTRenovate (12-20-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #4

Yeah, your right on all of the above.
Customers were lookin for a minor fix on a big project.
I personally, would prefer for for whoever did the shower to be responsible for it.
Since this is unknown, and since i was asked, and beings they have been really good customers in the past, wanted to not give them a reason to look elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to intersound2005 For This Useful Post:
Lugnut1968 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

what you tell them before you start is a Professional giving an opinion. It may not be what they really want to hear but if they are good clients and they like their home they will digest your advise and hopefully make the wise decision. you can give them options and let them know the positives and negatives of each course of action.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting and Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 460

C'mon man... Just tear out what you think is leaking, replace it, then pick up some of this ( http://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im|s...a_bid=a4cc8494 ) spray it on, paint it white and call it good enough. Heck, it works in the commercials right?

Oh.. before I forget... to you folks who suffer the same affliction as Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory, here's your sign
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lugnut1968 For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (12-21-2014), sycamorebob (12-27-2014), TNTRenovate (12-20-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut1968 View Post
C'mon man... Just tear out what you think is leaking, replace it, then pick up some of this ( http://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im|s...a_bid=a4cc8494 ) spray it on, paint it white and call it good enough. Heck, it works in the commercials right?

Oh.. before I forget... to you folks who suffer the same affliction as Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory, here's your sign
Thats funny you mention Flex Seal, I went to do an estimate the other day for a HO, their "GC" had built the shower He took the time to caulk between all of the Hardibacker Joints (instead of taping and filling with thin set and mesh tape ) and sprayed that Freaking Flex seal over every nail head, not only that but he used plain old quickcrete for the shower pan and of course didn't slope it

I explained that it was done incorrectly and needed to be torn out and replaced to meet ANSI standards. Her reply "well he's been doing this for 30 years". My thought was, "well he's been doing it wrong for longer than I've been alive"

I walked...
Lugnut1968 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting and Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I walked...
LOL... I hear ya there.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Lugnut1968 For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by intersound2005 View Post
After determining it was not the valves and was indeed a failed pan.....
How do you know it's the pan? Not the valves doesn't necessarily mean it's the pan. Maybe it's leaking around the bench seat, or somewhere else above the pan, and finding its way down outside the pan....

Last edited by CarpenterSFO; 12-21-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #10

I did a valve test, door test, then a flood test of an 1" of water with the drain sealed off, which failed...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intersound2005 For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (12-21-2014), TNTRenovate (12-21-2014)
Old 01-04-2015, 10:11 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

You can fix the pan only but it would costs them almost as much as doing it over. You'll need to remove the glass. Then to carefully waterproof around the openings and such is slow and must be carefully done (ie.$$$). They might as well bite the bullet and change the whole thing with a newer look. 12 years old is getting pretty dated. Tell them it's an investment toward when they sell the house.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:18 PM   #12

Thank you, good advise.
I've already torn the whole thing out as the wood curb was rotten as well as sub floor under the mud deck moldy. the old failed in more areas than one.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

So it all worked out. You've got a bigger job and they will have a great shower when you're done. win/win
Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 PM   #14
Business Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by intersound2005 View Post
Thank you, good advise.
I've already torn the whole thing out as the wood curb was rotten as well as sub floor under the mud deck moldy. the old failed in more areas than one.
That tile does a great job at hiding things, did you pinpoint the cause of the leak that started all of this?

Advertisement