Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   Tiling (https://www.contractortalk.com/f73/)
-   -   What??? waterproofing?? It is not standard here... (https://www.contractortalk.com/f73/what-waterproofing-not-standard-here-134227/)

astor 04-29-2013 08:18 AM

What??? waterproofing?? It is not standard here...
 
A tread in General just went off topic and way south....I knew there are hacks out there, but in CT???...surprised me..
http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/co...132666/index2/

JWilliams 04-29-2013 08:34 AM

just read that thread myself. thats pretty crazy.

jarvis design 04-29-2013 04:02 PM

That thread is exactly the reason why tile is not always the number one choice for home owners who are planning a renovation. Too many contractors (some of which will fall into the "hack" category) out doing sub-par tile work.

Maybe they think they are doing their customer a favor? Maybe they just don't know better?
Customer only has so much $$,...well, we'll just throw up some green board, slap on some mastic and grout it with the cheapest product we can find. Problem is...when that grout starts to stain/mildew (give it a few months) and the installation fails...could get 5-10 years, you are now back where you started and the installation needs to be gutted.

My rule on tile installations in wet areas is pretty basic and does not change - 100% waterproof substrate - Epoxy grout. Done.
The only reason one of my installations will be ripped out is because the homeowner doesn't like it anymoe, not because it failed.

Tech Dawg 04-29-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astor (Post 1760532)
A tread in General just went off topic and way south....I knew there are hacks out there, but in CT???...surprised me..
http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/co...132666/index2/

Classic :laughing::laughing: You, Olzo and Precision pretty well wrapped up that one:whistling

"Yes maam... we can save you a thousand bux just by using hardie backer because the manufacturer claims it's water resistant..."
"...sign here...."

:blink::blink:

astor 04-29-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech Dawg (Post 1760895)
Classic :laughing::laughing: You, Olzo and Precision pretty well wrapped up that one:whistling

"Yes maam... we can save you a thousand bux just by using hardie backer because the manufacturer claims it's water resistant..."
"...sign here...."

:blink::blink:

Exactly, a customer who pays $5K deserves $60 RedGuard.. at least for God's sake! Even cheapest thing out there..
Does not take much talent to paint the dawn thing!it may not be the best job, but at least triples the life of the shower.

world llc 04-29-2013 09:23 PM

perhaps our friend has no idea about waterproofing? maybe he has been taught green board is well enough....

wouldn't it be better to teach the boy the ways of the modern bathroom rather than ridiculing him for doing only what he knows?! I know that the older members of this site, many no longer here, have taught me a ton of new concepts and opened my eyes to better techniques... tools that have allowed me a better living and the ability to consciously build best practice assemblies....

Tech Dawg 04-29-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by world llc (Post 1760992)
perhaps our friend has no idea about waterproofing? maybe he has been taught green board is well enough....

wouldn't it be better to teach the boy the ways of the modern bathroom rather than ridiculing him for doing only what he knows?! I know that the older members of this site, many no longer here, have taught me a ton of new concepts and opened my eyes to better techniques... tools that have allowed me a better living and the ability to consciously build best practice assemblies....

Good concept, but seems like he's turning another cheap bathroom niche into a large corporation with abundant employee turnover and a cut throat sales staff... That's the only way you can do a bathroom for 5k in a week. Waterproofing will throw the time and budget making the sales commission less. He'd probably be better off selling tub liners;)

astor 04-29-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by world llc (Post 1760992)
perhaps our friend has no idea about waterproofing? maybe he has been taught green board is well enough....

wouldn't it be better to teach the boy the ways of the modern bathroom rather than ridiculing him for doing only what he knows?! I know that the older members of this site, many no longer here, have taught me a ton of new concepts and opened my eyes to better techniques... tools that have allowed me a better living and the ability to consciously build best practice assemblies....

come on...he knows Schulter...I hope not the Schulter, a town in Okmulgee County, Oklahoma:laughing:

world llc 04-29-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech Dawg (Post 1761011)
Good concept, but seems like he's turning another cheap bathroom niche into a large corporation with abundant employee turnover and a cut throat sales staff... That's the only way you can do a bathroom for 5k in a week. Waterproofing will throw the time and budget making the sales commission less. He'd probably be better off selling tub liners;)

oh? first i'v seen of him or his posts... if he IS running a bathroom grinder than yea, all he would be concerned with is his bottom line.

i thought he might be like us, owner operator.... interested in learning newer better ways....


there are also markets in out lil country that can't even afford a 3k bath....

charimon 04-29-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astor (Post 1760967)
Exactly, a customer who pays $5K deserves $60 RedGuard.. at least for God's sake! Even cheapest thing out there..
Does not take much talent to paint the dawn thing!it may not be the best job, but at least triples the life of the shower.

I think I would amend that to
"Exactly, a customer who pays $5K deserves their shower to be built to TCNA standards"

astor 04-29-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by world llc (Post 1761020)
oh? first i'v seen of him or his posts... if he IS running a bathroom grinder than yea, all he would be concerned with is his bottom line.

i thought he might be like us, owner operator.... interested in learning newer better ways....


there are also markets in out lil country that can't even afford a 3k bath....

Toronto is large metropolitan area with 5-6 million people, I've lived there 17 years! With a small investment-like a decent van, some tools, within 6 months you can book 4-5 jobs a week if you offer 5K-bathrooms and up sell the same thing(with some better tile) for 7K-8K. You will be booked like a hell if you offer financing...
The problem starts when all these people see their bathroom holding mold...and the city inspectors shuts it down...even may get class action lawsuit..

astor 04-29-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charimon (Post 1761025)
I think I would amend that to
"Exactly, a customer who pays $5K deserves their shower to be built to TCNA standards"

I meant at the very least...slap some RedGuard.:thumbsup:
what is TCNA?? he would ask...:whistling

ArtisanRemod 04-29-2013 09:53 PM

Ive been around long enough to see these guys come and go. They make some quick money then usually disappear, especially with the way bad news travels now.

GO Remodeling 04-30-2013 08:37 PM

The trouble is "The Basic" is for homeowners with little money. These people are the very ones that can't afford a 2-3 year tile replacement. That's a lot of money for them and they deserve waterproofing at the minimum. I hope the OP is just not aware of TCNA standards and not ripping off trusting people.

I worry about any steam showers in the "Custom" build outs.

BlueRidgeGreen 04-30-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olzo55 (Post 1761686)
The trouble is "The Basic" is for homeowners with little money. These people are the very ones that can't afford a 2-3 year tile replacement. That's a lot of money for them and they deserve waterproofing at the minimum.

So true.

The most important point of any made during this "discussion".

Well said.

TNTRenovate 04-30-2013 09:02 PM

It costs pennies to sub Durock for SheetRock and throw a few coats of AD over the shower/tub area. No real excuse not to.

However, to say that there WILL be mold in a year or that it will only last a few years is ridiculous. I have torn out dozens of showers built with green board that showed little to no signs of moisture, and they were used daily.

Inner10 04-30-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES (Post 1761725)
It costs pennies to sub Durock for SheetRock and throw a few coats of AD over the shower/tub area. No real excuse not to.

However, to say that there WILL be mold in a year or that it will only last a few years is ridiculous. I have torn out dozens of showers built with green board that showed little to no signs of moisture, and they were used daily.

Yeah but that durock is really heavy...;)

world llc 04-30-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES (Post 1761725)
It costs pennies to sub Durock for SheetRock and throw a few coats of AD over the shower/tub area. No real excuse not to.

However, to say that there WILL be mold in a year or that it will only last a few years is ridiculous. I have torn out dozens of showers built with green board that showed little to no signs of moisture, and they were used daily.

this is true, but rare...

I too have gutted a few 4 x 4's stuck with mastic over green board with little to no rot or mold.

More often then not it's falling off the studs and burns the back of your throat:eek:

TNTRenovate 04-30-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by world llc (Post 1761749)
this is true, but rare...

I too have gutted a few 4 x 4's stuck with mastic over green board with little to no rot or mold.

More often then not it's falling off the studs and burns the back of your throat:eek:

But that's usually stuff that has been up for decades, not a few years.

world llc 04-30-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES (Post 1761810)
But that's usually stuff that has been up for decades, not a few years.

for tub surrounds, yes

for showers, they usually go quicker. i did one that was 9 months old and another few that were less than 8 years


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.