Tile Safe Membrane! - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Tile Safe Membrane!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Tile Safe Membrane!

Have any of you guys ever heard of Tile Safe. It's a product that you apply to a finsihed wall and it works just like kerdi but it's self adhesive. You just cut your sizes and then peel the backing of and stick it to the wall. The stuff sticks very well so you have to make sure you get it in the right place first time and when you press 2 peices together it welds into one piece so you get no leaks. Im wondering if they have anything like this out here yet. It works very well and i cant find anywhere in US that sells it as of yet.

The same companys also makes a pre sloped floor pan that is 5/8 thick so it sits level with the sub floor then you tille over the pan. Also a lot easier than the kerdi system.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 08-11-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Tile Contractor

Trade: Building Trades-Specializing in Ceramic Tile
Rewards Points: 518

Re: Tile Safe Membrane!

Looks like a SPAM post to me.

Custom Building Products (I have heard) has just pulled their similar product from the marketplace because it is a SUCK CONCEPT and doesn't work. I doubt the one you are selling or er-a mentioning works any better.

Advertisement

will be given a Free Mountain Due at our regular quiting time.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 370

www.protectowrap.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Tile Contractor

Yow I forgot about Protectowrap. That's been around a long time and does work, same concept.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Looks like a SPAM post to me.

Custom Building Products (I have heard) has just pulled their similar product from the marketplace because it is a SUCK CONCEPT and doesn't work. I doubt the one you are selling or er-a mentioning works any better.

Well i better go back to sales school because trying to sell a product that aint avalible in the US aint really a good sales move.

Also you clearly know nothing about the product above as it works very well. Tilesafe has become one of the biggest names in UK wet room products and i think is owned my impey now so it def works well. I also know it works well as i have used it numerous times in many wetrooms. It's also used as a tile backing and tanking on many airports in the UK because of it being 100% waterproff. Unlike kerdi.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjob View Post

Cheers Kev. Looks like it's the same kind of tanking material. Will check it out.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

You need the American?....... www.tileredi.com
Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
100% waterproof. Unlike kerdi.
kerdi is 100% waterproof when installed correctly or I am missing something?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjob View Post
kerdi is 100% waterproof when installed correctly or I am missing something?
Kerdi was used on UK houses like Tyvek is used over here and when we was in a house with no roof on but only kerdi mebraine i touched the membrain to feel it's texture when it was raining and water bleed through where i touched. I asked the roofer why i did this and he said that it fine until somthing touches it's surface then water can be sucked though the membraine. He said the way it breaths means that water can be drawn through the membraine. I said what about the rafters hitting it and he said so far from what he has seen the rafters dont have that affect. I have never trusted it since.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Tile Contractor

Quote:
It works very well and i cant find anywhere in US that sells it as of yet.
I don't understand why anyone would hawk a european product on an American website then openly admit it wasn't available. That seems a little weird to me.

Quote:
Well i better go back to sales school because trying to sell a product that aint avalible in the US aint really a good sales move.
Ya think? Then what's the point?

Quote:
Kerdi was used on UK houses like Tyvek is used over here and when we was in a house with no roof on but only kerdi mebraine i touched the membrain to feel it's texture when it was raining and water bleed through where i touched.
NONSENSE my knowing friend! Can't happen with KERDI. That's not how KERDI is made nor how it works. It is YOU that must be confusing another product with KERDI. Go tell Schluter KERDI isn't waterproof and see what they say.

I still think this is nothing more than SPAM and you obviously have a vested interest in getting the name out on this side of the pond.

If Tileredi is the counterpart then there's a highly over rated over priced product everyone should be glad to waste their money on.

Nope I ain't buyin' it - SPAM is all this is and this thread should be deleted.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would hawk a european product on an American website then openly admit it wasn't available. That seems a little weird to me.

Ya think? Then what's the point?

NONSENSE my knowing friend! Can't happen with KERDI. That's not how KERDI is made nor how it works. It is YOU that must be confusing another product with KERDI. Go tell Schluter KERDI isn't waterproof and see what they say.

I still think this is nothing more than SPAM and you obviously have a vested interest in getting the name out on this side of the pond.

If Tileredi is the counterpart then there's a highly over rated over priced product everyone should be glad to waste their money on.

Nope I ain't buyin' it - SPAM is all this is and this thread should be deleted.

Fella if you got nothing better to do and cant add anything constructive to the thread then shut ya trap. Im trying to find products that are similer to products i used in the UK. Jog on ya SI.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Tile Contractor

Call me "Bud" please.

I'm just trying to make sense of your posts so far and I can't seem to get a grasp on your concept.

Your posts are every bit as senseless as you say mine are but I'm actually making sense. Just ask me.

If you want to learn about particular products I would be glad to teach you but there is no reason to post doldrums that have no value to anyone.

So lets go Chav and see what you can learn here.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Call me "Bud" please.

I'm just trying to make sense of your posts so far and I can't seem to get a grasp on your concept.

Your posts are every bit as senseless as you say mine are but I'm actually making sense. Just ask me.

If you want to learn about particular products I would be glad to teach you but there is no reason to post doldrums that have no value to anyone.

So lets go Chav and see what you can learn here.
I will call you what i want, and you ain't my Bud! The forum is for finding information which as you can see on this thread some people have been helpful and supplied info based on what i was looking for. You have offered nothing to the thread and are clearly a troll. Now Troll, Troll, Troll your boat gently of the screen.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #14
Tile Contractor

Trade: Ceramic and Natural Stone Tile Contractor
Rewards Points: 886

You're calling Bud Cline a troll?

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Kerdi is 100% waterproof, it doesn't leak when you touch it, now stop spreading misinformation and go away trollie.

Why is this thread being allowed to continue? Are the mods on vacation or sumpthin'?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Tile Contractor

I agree the thread should be closed if the grasshopper can't control his emotions any better than what he has shown.

Have you noticed how from time to time I seem to be able to infuriate some people? Have you also noticed it is always the severely ignorant that get the most infuriated.

It must have been the Chav comment that did it. I was right again.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #16
Pro

I think you 2 need to get a room. Perhaps a thread of ya own where you can big each other up! I can tell you now that I'm not infuriated. I come across d**k heads like you in my trade all the time and they think they know everything about everything but clearly don't.

Perhaps you should learn about products before telling someone they don't know what they are talking about. Kerdi has a water resistance rating of around 5000mm and products like Goretex have as much as 30000mm rating and Texapore has as much as 50000mm rating. So don't give me all the Kerdi is waterproof talk as it's not waterproof. It's fine for something like a shower pan where zero water under pressure is hitting the membrane on a good build but on something open with water under pressure it can leak. All company's call this material waterproof which it is until it hits it's performance limit. The tanking Membrane I'm looking for Don't breath but it's rated at well over 100000mm which is pressure you will rarely come across. A 3.0 bar shower will have no problem bleeding water through a 5000mm membrane if there ever a problem with the grout or tile and is this not the reason to use Kerdi in the first place?

Now stop spamming the thread with your useless and worthless comments you keyboard commandos!

Also just so you are aware i spoke to schluter and got some details about the product and they said the reason it leaked when i touched it was because a combination of 2 things. Pressure of falling rain and me streching the material as i touched it and thats why the rafters have no affect on it. The product is not designed to be in direct contact with high pressure water.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 08-15-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #17
Tile Contractor

You mean ****heads who actually know something about their trade, or someone like you who asks how to repair cracked grout over a 3/8" subfloor?

If Kerdi could leak under pressure, how would it ever pass a flood test inspection, huh genius?

Schluter has done extensive laboratory testing, and has actual data to support the efficacy of their products. As well as years of use in the field, so your claims to the contrary simply "don't hold water".

Care to post some kinda evidence to support your bogus claim?

Gee, I wonder how the Kerdi cardboard box cooler works, if Kerdi leaks under submersion.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS345 View Post
You mean ****heads who actually know something about their trade, or someone like you who asks how to repair cracked grout over a 3/8" subfloor?

If Kerdi could leak under pressure, how would it ever pass a flood test inspection, huh genius?

Schluter has done extensive laboratory testing, and has actual data to support the efficacy of their products. As well as years of use in the field, so your claims to the contrary simply "don't hold water".

Care to post some kinda evidence to support your bogus claim?

Gee, I wonder how the Kerdi cardboard box cooler works, if Kerdi leaks under submersion.

I dont ever have to go back to my jobs to repair faulty instals so i like to check if im doing it the correct way and what products are on the market for this kind of thing and this is where this site shines. But there's always fools who contribute nothing to the threads like your self . But i have since found the problem and the probelm is 3/8th Ply can only be used with 12" centers for Ditra and thats an absolute min but he has 16" centers so he needs at least 5/8ths which in my eyes is still not enough.

Also just so you are aware Flood test head heights in our area are about 12-15ftft in the city because of bad flooding. 12ft is about 3.5 meters which is 3500mm which is well within Kerdi spec so yes they would pass my local inspection. I had to Build a Bar in the local city with Kerdi for membraine so this is why i know the Kerdi specs. But you carry on thinking that it's "Waterproff".
Old 08-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Tile Contractor

You didn't answer the question. If kerdi isn't waterproof, how can it pass such rigorous flood testing?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
Pro

Do a search on google about the 14ft head of water test on kerdi. Thats the limit of head the Kirdi can handle before failure. Now a lot of shower pumps can put out way more head of water than that. a lot more. Now if you had a shower with bad tile or grout then at best your kerdi can take 14ft of head. Most houses in the UK and US have as much as 30ft head of water which mean you have enough pressure from your shower head to make 2 layers of kerdi fail. Let alone one.

Just so you are aware i was a plumber for 10 years in the UK before moving here and have been doing bathroom and tile install for that time there plus the time i have lived here. I have installed $100k bathrooms and have always used tanking and not kerdi. All this thread has been about is finding the tanking but you seem to want to drag out the Kerdi stories!

Just as a comparison texapore can take 164ft head of water before it fails. Kerdi is pretty low end product when it come to breathable membranes.

Advertisement

Last edited by BCConstruction; 08-15-2009 at 09:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BCConstruction For This Useful Post:
charimon (08-16-2009)