Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
Pro
 
nickko's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: western pa
Posts: 366
Rewards Points: 783

Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Hi
I bought a 24" Montolit tile cutter and as nice as it cuts it still leaves a jagged edge on the tile. Is any one using a diamond pad on an angle grinder to smooth the edge of porcelain tile after snap cutting?
I don't need a smooth finished edge. I would like to just clean up some of the jagged edge. I was thinking maybe a 70 grit diamond pad on a angle grinder.

thanks...........nicko
__________________
"Quality work for those who know the difference"
nickko is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 02-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #2
Pro
 
MarkJames's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman Services
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 8,718
Rewards Points: 13,525

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Keep your cuts out of the field, and use a rubbing stone when necessary:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-Tile...022Q/100037081

Advertisement

MarkJames is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #3
Pro
 
nickko's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: western pa
Posts: 366
Rewards Points: 783

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Keep your cuts out of the field, and use a rubbing stone when necessary:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-Tile...022Q/100037081
Thanks MarkJames
I have one of those rub stones and there ok for ceramic or just a few tile here and there. I do keep my cuts out of the field but for out side corners against bull nose and for inside corners and there are times when I'm doing certain tile patterns on wall tile where you have to have cut tile in the field.
I was thinking about a diamond pad on a cordless grinder sitting at my tile cutter. I could make a cut and then if the need arises i could hit the edge with the diamond pad.

Thanks......nicko
__________________
"Quality work for those who know the difference"
nickko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 PM   #4
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 9,771
Rewards Points: 3,480

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


https://www.rubi.com/us/tile-and-sto...shing-pads-f15

Tom
tjbnwi is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Frank Castle (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
Pro
 
nickko's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: western pa
Posts: 366
Rewards Points: 783

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
Thanks for the info.

nicko
__________________
"Quality work for those who know the difference"
nickko is offline  
Old 02-01-2019, 10:18 PM   #6
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 9,771
Rewards Points: 3,480

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Quote:
Originally Posted by nickko View Post
Thanks for the info.

nicko
Wear safety glasses.

Tom
tjbnwi is online now  
Old 02-01-2019, 11:53 PM   #7
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,037
Rewards Points: 614

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


I use my grinder with a diamond blade at an angle.
avenge is online now  
Old 02-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
Pro
 
goneelkn's Avatar
 
Trade: home remodel/repair
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 861
Rewards Points: 70

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
goneelkn is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 3,858
Rewards Points: 2,188

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Never could understand buying a snap cutter, then using an angle grinder with a diamond blade to fix it.

Why not just use a tile saw.
__________________
Get Off My Lawn.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,509
Rewards Points: 6,250

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


These hand polishing pads work amazingly well to just break an edge. Faster than you'd expect. I use them on all exposed edges, even when put through a wet saw with a high end blade.

https://www.amazon.com/KGS-Diamond-H...diamond+sponge
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #11
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,218
Rewards Points: 1,050

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Never could understand buying a snap cutter, then using an angle grinder with a diamond blade to fix it.

Why not just use a tile saw.
90% of your cuts can be made on a snapper. And even if you have to clean up a tile or two your grinder is already out and setup for other cuts a wet saw or snapper cannot make. So you take 30 seconds to clean up a tile. A lot faster than a wet saw all around, IMO.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
heavy_d (02-06-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #12
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,218
Rewards Points: 1,050

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


To the OP, I would need to see what you mean by jagged. I have had some issues with snappers but it's usually been due to material or wrong cutting wheel for the material.

I have also had no issue with most porcelain and a dressing stone. If it's not cleaning up the bit that you need, then there is something else going on.

As for bullnose and profiles our cut side goes in and the factory side goes toward the bullnose or profile. You are more likely to see the cut if you but against the profile or bullnose. Inside corners get caulked and should be decent enough that caulk will cover any imperfections.

Lastly, there is something called the 6' rule. You shouldn't be standing 3' from the tile and point out imperfections. It should look good from 6' away. Nothing is prefect in this world so while I strive for perfection, you sometimes have to let it go.

I can't tell you how many jobs I have been back on, after leaving not 100% satisfied with every detail, and either can't find those imperfections or realize how dang good our jobs look because we worried about those details.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #13
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,037
Rewards Points: 614

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Never could understand buying a snap cutter, then using an angle grinder with a diamond blade to fix it.

Why not just use a tile saw.
I had to cut all 4 corners off 18 x 18 tile to lay a 6 x 6 at the corners. Even though I cut the corners off with my wet saw I still had to take off the sharp edge.
avenge is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #14
Pro
 
nickko's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: western pa
Posts: 366
Rewards Points: 783

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
To the OP, I would need to see what you mean by jagged. I have had some issues with snappers but it's usually been due to material or wrong cutting wheel for the material.

I have also had no issue with most porcelain and a dressing stone. If it's not cleaning up the bit that you need, then there is something else going on.

As for bullnose and profiles our cut side goes in and the factory side goes toward the bullnose or profile. You are more likely to see the cut if you but against the profile or bullnose. Inside corners get caulked and should be decent enough that caulk will cover any imperfections.

Lastly, there is something called the 6' rule. You shouldn't be standing 3' from the tile and point out imperfections. It should look good from 6' away. Nothing is prefect in this world so while I strive for perfection, you sometimes have to let it go.

I can't tell you how many jobs I have been back on, after leaving not 100% satisfied with every detail, and either can't find those imperfections or realize how dang good our jobs look because we worried about those details.
By jagged edge i mean the face of the tile is a nice clean cut but below the face there is still porcelain that is sticking out beyond the score line. It will cover when grouted in but i would just like to clean it up at times.
As far as the cutting wheel it is a Montolit tile cutter with there titanium coated wheel.

Thanks......nicko
__________________
"Quality work for those who know the difference"
nickko is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,037
Rewards Points: 614

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Quote:
Originally Posted by nickko View Post
By jagged edge i mean the face of the tile is a nice clean cut but below the face there is still porcelain that is sticking out beyond the score line. It will cover when grouted in but i would just like to clean it up at times.
As far as the cutting wheel it is a Montolit tile cutter with there titanium coated wheel.

Thanks......nicko
Rather hard to know without pics but don't think I've had that issue with my snapper, don't know why you can't use a grinder with a diamond wheel or nippers, I wouldn't use polishing pads for areas that are getting covered.
avenge is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #16
Pro
 
tjbnwi's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cedar Tucky, Indiana
Posts: 9,771
Rewards Points: 3,480

Re: Soothing The Edge Of Porcelain Tile After Snap Cutting


Try a little less pressure on the cuter handle when you're scoring. Once you get it right, you'll know "that sound".

Tom

Advertisement

tjbnwi is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (02-03-2019)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dry Pack for laying porcelain tile on exterior patio Kyong Tiling 8 09-06-2015 10:11 PM
Hardwood to Tile transition 239STAIRS Flooring 5 07-08-2012 06:16 PM
Wall tiles in shower ? #1 Handyman Tiling 14 06-25-2012 09:45 PM
Porcelain Tile Porch jbtn9 Flooring 1 09-22-2009 03:45 PM
Cutting 24" porcelain tiles KellyD&B Flooring 5 08-19-2009 11:00 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?