Small Bathroom Stand Alone Hydronic Heat? - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Small Bathroom Stand Alone Hydronic Heat?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #1

Trade: I am a remodeler/builder working in Baltimore mostly doing whole house renovations
Rewards Points: 25

Small Bathroom Stand Alone Hydronic Heat?

Hi everyone,
I have a client that wants to put a stand alone hydronic radiant system under a new tile floor in a 5' x 9' bathroom as part of a bathroom remodel that will gut said bathroom. He is of the opinion that he can run a small system like that off of his existing water heater and also thinks an electric mat would affect his utility bill more than hydronic. He is okay with the floor height differential issues (he is familiar with the low profile grooved boards on the market). I don't think it's a very smart idea but have not done much research and we just had our initial meeting yesterday.

Does anyone have any familiarity with this inquiry re: pros or cons? Any thoughts you guys might have are welcomed. Thanks in advance. Peace, Chris

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Small Bathroom Stand Alone Hydronic Heat?

Doesn't seem your issues are tile related. Perhaps you can PM a mod and ask for this thread to be moved to HVAC forum.

I have installed hydronic heating in a bathroom before but I only did my part. The pumps, valves and electronics involved were done by others.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Small bathroom like that, no radiant in the house, i would def go electric mat, very efficient once floor gets up to temp, GMOD

Old 02-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
Small bathroom like that, no radiant in the house, i would def go electric mat, very efficient once floor gets up to temp, GMOD

I agree with Gene, electric would be more plausible. However, have a qualified person look at the electrical system to determine if it can handle adding a mat.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

+2 way more effort involved than whats required for a electric version. He could power the electric version for 30 years for what it would cost him to have a system installed for the bathroom alone.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Code in this area will not allow a heating system to mix with a potable water system.

My guess is that is national code--no heating man will want to touch it.

Separate boiler,pump,new flue----like others have said--way to costly.--Mike--

It could be done---however who in their right mind would want to be in the liability loop for that?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswoods View Post
Code in this area will not allow a heating system to mix with a potable water system.

My guess is that is national code--no heating man will want to touch it.

Separate boiler,pump,new flue----like others have said--way to costly.--Mike--

It could be done---however who in their right mind would want to be in the liability loop for that?

I have seen it done. Not in the US but Europe. You you a heat exchanger so that the domestic water don't come in contact with the system water. Still way more bother than it's worth and your have to heat the water in your cylinder to keep the underfloor heating water hot. Def not a efficient way of running it.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #8

Trade: I am a remodeler/builder working in Baltimore mostly doing whole house renovations
Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the feedback folks. All of your input is much appreciated and will be very useful is discussing with the client. Using a heat exchanger to avoid mixing with potable system was approach client was interested in doing and he had already researched the process to some extent. There is already a forced air system with a vent into existing bathroom so what is most important to the client is the feel of warm tile not the necessity of warming the bathroom space. It is no problem running a new circuit to the panel for an electric mat if needed as there is plenty of capacity in the panel and it's nearby. I had never heard of using hydronic in as small a space as this and for some reason the client seems enamored with the idea. I am really not interested in the liability of hydronic which I figure is much lower than with an electric mat system but knew that if I posted a request for inquiry on this site I would get some excellent feedback. Thanks again. Peace, Chris

Advertisement