Shower Pan Wall + Grout - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Shower Pan Wall + Grout

Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 AM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 8

Shower Pan Wall + Grout

In a condo building with 270+ units, one unit has a master bath shower with a shower pan wall that is out of level. Specifically, the side where the glass wall and glass door operate, the top of the 5" shower pan wall/step (with completed tile and grout) actually pitches away from the shower. BTW, this shower job was completed many years ago.

The result, while using the shower, some water finds its way to the bottom of the glass door and leaks outward, onto the floor outside the shower. A tighter silicone sweep at the bottom of the door will not fix this issue because the grout lines that point away from the shower (the ones 90* to the closed door) funnel the water out due to the pitch.

Besides ripping it apart, what can correct this issue? BTW, even though the finished tile pitch is away from the shower, the grout sits below the finished tile (as normal). And, if the grout were to strategically "fill" the gaps between the tiles at the top of this wall/step so that the grout is flush with the tile surfaces, then that may counter the pitch and outward funneling effect through the current grout lines.

I hope my explanation is clear. The obvious solution is to tear it apart and rebuild it correctly, but lack of replacement tile combined with severe cost restrictions call for a creative fix. Best ideas to help?

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 777

Re: Shower Pan Wall + Grout

Pic?

Advertisement

Old 09-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

Here's a picture link -

https://db.tt/Kx7VjlOe2T

My "creative idea" was to fill the grout line parallel to (underneath) the closed door so that the grout matches the surface height of the tile. And then blend in other grout lines. Could that "wall off" water that may be funneling out the current lines?

Any other ideas that don't require demo and rebuilding?

Old 09-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,949

How much vertical room do you have to work with?

How about adding a couple pieces of crema marfil (marble) floor tile over it, sloped correctly. Edges on marble can be polished as necessary.

Or cut out the top of the threshold tile, then replace with a piece of threshold marble, sloped correctly. You could cut close to the door with a dremel and a couple diamond burrs, etc. Or score it best you can with a hand tile snapper, then demo carefully. I've gotten clean cuts that way..

Another option would be to remove the tile, then reinstall. There's a "decent" chance you can remove them, then reinstall, but have your plan B ready, just in case. The trick is to remove the grout, then undercut with a multitool to get into the thinset, and then use a 5-in-1 with a sharp hammer strike and I'll bet it comes up. Don't be bashful on the hammer strike.

Last edited by MarkJames; 09-09-2018 at 11:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
How much vertical room do you have to work with?

How about adding a couple pieces of crema marfil (marble) floor tile over it, sloped correctly. Edges on marble can be polished as necessary.

Or cut out the top of the threshold tile, then replace with a piece of threshold marble, sloped correctly. You could cut close to the door with a dremel and a couple diamond burrs, etc. Or score it best you can with a hand tile snapper, then demo carefully. I've gotten clean cuts that way..

Another option would be to remove the tile, then reinstall. There's a "decent" chance you can remove them, then reinstall, but have your plan B ready, just in case. The trick is to remove the grout, then undercut with a multitool to get into the thinset, and then use a 5-in-1 with a sharp hammer strike and I'll bet it comes up. Don't be bashful on the hammer strike.
Thanks very much for the suggestions.

My problem, in this case, is the glass wall that meets the glass door when closed. It's mounted flush onto the top of the threshold and removing/resetting it may risk other issues. I suppose that is one risk I may end up taking to apply one of your solutions. I was just trying to see if a decent solution has worked for others that may be applied under the glass door only without removing tile. Thanks, though.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Hair Splitter

Rewards Points: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmmm View Post
Thanks very much for the suggestions.

My problem, in this case, is the glass wall that meets the glass door when closed. It's mounted flush onto the top of the threshold and removing/resetting it may risk other issues. I suppose that is one risk I may end up taking to apply one of your solutions. I was just trying to see if a decent solution has worked for others that may be applied under the glass door only without removing tile. Thanks, though.
The only solution is to pull the glass, tile curb cap (which is just stupid to begin with) and set a solid surface material cap. You could go with a thinner material and not have much height difference.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
The only solution is to pull the glass, tile curb cap (which is just stupid to begin with) and set a solid surface material cap. You could go with a thinner material and not have much height difference.
This. You've GOT to get rid of the slope to the outside no matter what. Pull the cap off and get a solid surface cap made up of some sort that'll compliment the rest of the tile work and set it properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to mstrat For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #8

Ok, thanks for the experienced perspectives.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:10 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: renovation carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,950

I agree with TNT.
But why is height such an issue?
Why can’t the cap go on top.
The glass needs to come out , and be reset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement