Quick Question - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Quick Question

Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

Trade: Tile

Quick Question

Quick question, I'm a new contractor and I'm not to keen on bidding and pricing a job. I sub-contract for a flooring company in my county and it seems as tho they are taking advantage of my lack of knowledge on pricing. My partner and I have over 20 years experience laying tile and are licensed and insured. This company just gave me a job demoing 90 sq ft shower. Then reinstalling all new backing board ceramic tile, 2 marble soap dishes, 3 different sized tiles plus bull nose all for 510.00. This sounds really low to us. They are paying 2.75 a square ft for tile 2.00 for demo and 1 dollar for backing board install. Does this sound like they are taking advantage of me?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,886

Re: Quick Question

Quick question, can you introduce yourself? I would love to know who you are!

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,886

And yes, they are raping you.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to heavy_d For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (07-10-2016), charimon (07-08-2016), Defenestrate (07-09-2016), Splinter (07-09-2016), Unger.const (07-09-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016, 11:11 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

If you have that many years experience laying tile you should have a good idea of how long this will take. What did you make in wages for that many days. How much in equipment will you have on site. you have all your answers.
The Following User Says Thank You to charimon For This Useful Post:
Krok (07-09-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

In 20 years, you haven't gathered enough knowledge to know how long that job would take, what your typical pay (daily/hourly) expectations are to derive a fair price?

If that's the case, you may be better off working as an employee for a contractor and collecting an honest fair paycheck to provide for yourself.

How many days will that job take you and your helper...3-4 days? Can you run a business and pay you & your help 4 days on $510?

If the business/pricing side of things isn't something your good at, it may be best to focus on what you are skilled at and demand top dollar. Take the time and learn the business as you can. Find some mentors.

Fwiw, I also do sub work for bathroom remodels, my pay is far greater than that. I wouldn't even think about considering doing floor tile for that pay, I would make more money NOT working.
The Following User Says Thank You to philcav7 For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-09-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: framing, finishing.
Rewards Points: 429

$510???!
Attached Thumbnails
Quick question-image.jpg  
Old 07-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #7

My names Ryan. I have only 4 years experience. My partner has 18. He is very good at setting tile but is oblivious to anything business related. I started working for the same company 41/2 years ago and they went bankrupt shortly after. My partner has been a friend of me for 25 years so when the company went bankrupt I asked him if he wanted to do this together. I didn't realize that it was going to be this difficult to find honest paying contractors. ( I know that sounds stupid as hell ). I am going to attach a pic of a job we are almost finished on just need to set the floor and some bullnose. This paid 1,200.00
Old 07-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #8

For some reason it won't let me add a pic. If you care took its on our Facebook page RAW Tile and Stone. It's the most recent bathroom with the pebble floor.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,402

I'll add the second mistake is having 1 customer. Hope you have or will have some more customers. Looks like the one you are referring to will no longer be around.

You can do it. We can help...gladly
Old 07-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Mold Generator
Rewards Points: 844

IMHO, people don't know what they are doing until they do it FT for at least 5 years. In most trades, you start out as a laborer, then move on to helper, then... So if you have 4.5 years in, you might not have much setting experience and with tile, it can be all over the place as far as experiencing different materials and situations. Most retail shops are pretty bland and most retail flooring shops more so.

Even someone oblivious that's been in the trade for 18 years should have an idea of how long something should take and what it takes. If not, then his brain is fried and you don't want him as a business partner anyway.

Do the job for the price they give you and see how things go. You clearly don't have any other choice as you won't be able to explain otherwise.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #11

Is anyone on here familiar with interfinish? We are supposed to start contracting for them here in a couple weeks. I feel for commercial work, they were low balling us as well.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #12

I have one other question. I have been trying to find something online that gives going rates for sub contractors. Kinda like a price list of what's fair. What you should ask for doing floors, walls, niches, soap dishes if it on a 45 or if it's mosaic. I have many people asking what I charge for all this but really don't know how to go about finding out. I don't want to over charge or undercharge. I know there different rates as far as you doing the job for yourself or sub contracting.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,402

RAW Tile .....future CT Moderator....
Old 07-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #14

???
Old 07-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 17,719

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW Tile View Post
Quick question, I'm a new contractor and I'm not to keen on bidding and pricing a job. I sub-contract for a flooring company in my county and it seems as tho they are taking advantage of my lack of knowledge on pricing. My partner and I have over 20 years experience laying tile and are licensed and insured. This company just gave me a job demoing 90 sq ft shower. Then reinstalling all new backing board ceramic tile, 2 marble soap dishes, 3 different sized tiles plus bull nose all for 510.00. This sounds really low to us. They are paying 2.75 a square ft for tile 2.00 for demo and 1 dollar for backing board install. Does this sound like they are taking advantage of me?
Based on your FaceBook, you guys do nice work.

You got shafted. If those sq/ft numbers are correct, then maybe they "forgot" (oops!) some line items (set-up, disposal, trash removal, hauling, grouting, whatever). You can't live on that kind of compensation.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #16

This is the invoice. Thank you everyone for you thoughts and advice. Best forum I've found so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick question-image_1468079588669.jpeg  
Old 07-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 246

I don't understand how neither of you can't figure out if $510 is low or not. For me $510 might cover the demo and that's it.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #18
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,794

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
I don't understand how neither of you can't figure out if $510 is low or not. For me $510 might cover the demo and that's it.
Yeah, I don't think I can get that shower finished before lunch on the first an only day. Lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
antonioooooooo (07-09-2016), avenge (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #19

I knew it was low but wasn't sure by how much. I was thinking more along the lines of 1,000 atleast. Not to sound crude but in my area from what I'm being told Mexican will do it that cheap take it or leave it. Our dilemma is we take pride in what we do and won't just slap it in
The Following User Says Thank You to RAW Tile For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (07-11-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
Bubble stick operator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAW Tile View Post
I have one other question. I have been trying to find something online that gives going rates for sub contractors. Kinda like a price list of what's fair. What you should ask for doing floors, walls, niches, soap dishes if it on a 45 or if it's mosaic. I have many people asking what I charge for all this but really don't know how to go about finding out. I don't want to over charge or undercharge. I know there different rates as far as you doing the job for yourself or sub contracting.
Wrong question. Figure out what you need to charge (labor, materials, overhead, profit) and ask for it. If your current customer refuses (and from the sounds of it, he will), then find customers that will pay.

Good thread here, for starters: http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/pr...success-27899/

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Defenestrate For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (07-10-2016), Philament (07-09-2016)