Porcelain Tile Specifications - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Porcelain Tile Specifications

Old 01-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Infill Redevelopment Pro

Trade: infill redevelopment and brokerage (apartment to c
Rewards Points: 119

Porcelain Tile Specifications

I'm used to installing ceramic tiles, but did put in porcelain a few years ago in my home. I think I paid an ok price for the porcelain tiles at about $4/sq ft for 150 sq ft. I was asking the tile guy I bought tile from about why porcelain is better. I was sold when he picked up the most durable ceramic tile and smashed it to pieces against a porcelain tile laid at a 45 against a wall.

So, today I was talking to a client and he told me that he buys porcelain tile for less than $1/sq ft. I didn't believe him, but sure enough I found the tile at http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/porcelain.html for about $0.69. It's the same size as what I bought, but not as pretty in my opinion, but that's beside the point...

My question is, looks aside, is there a difference in porcelain tiles in terms of construction/quality? Like are some porcelain tiles thinner? veneered? how can one tile be so much cheaper? Any info would be great.

Thanks
Joe

Austin Remodeling
Contractor, Realtor, Investor

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Porcelain Tile Specifications

Yes, you can have different grades of porcelain.

You're first clue? $.69

A quality color-body porcelain is closer to $6/sq ft. That's what I try to steer customers towards. You do get what you pay for.

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

Well, you gots your glazed porcelain, you gots your thin porcelain, you gots your thick porcelain, you gots your clearance porcelain, you gots your discontinued porcelain. Then you gots your really ugly tile. You gots the tile sold by some hottie in the nice showroom and you gots your tile in banged up, dusty old boxes which make strange noises when you load and unload them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Infill Redevelopment Pro

Thanks. I was wondering if I got ripped off having paid 6 times as much as this investor. I figured there must have been a difference. The tile guy broke one of the porcelain tiles for me and the color was consistent throughout so I liked that for the kitchen where a plate or plan could chip or crack ceramic and leave a spot.

Do you know what the differences are technically? I'm really interested to know how they differ in terms of durability? or is the difference more that the tiles are not consistent color throughout? or some other factor?

Austin Remodeling
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Infill Redevelopment Pro

Got it!!! I'm guessing this stuff is glazed, but I'll let you know once I get my hands on some of it and hit it with a hammer and take a look see!

PS - Thanks you guys. You make this forum a treasure trove of information. Love this place!

Austin Remodeling

Last edited by AustinReDevelop; 01-13-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: thanks!

Tags
porcelain tiles