Porcelain Tile Install - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Porcelain Tile Install

Old 10-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Trade: General Contracting

Porcelain Tile Install

Guys I am new to the forum and I am looking for some help. I recently installed porcelain tile for a customer and they told me they were unglazed and rejected tiles. Not thinking much of it I installed the tiles and grout that the customer wanted. I did everything to directions on thinset and grout. However very disturbingly the dark brown grout has stained the white porcelain tiles. I cleaned the floor over and over with fresh water after grouting according to directions yet stains would not come out. It looks as if the grout is in the tiles pours. The customer is now blaming me for everything. Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

Re: Porcelain Tile Install

It says on the bag of grout to test and preseal tile if necessary. Im sorry but I think you might be eating this one.

Good news is you will never make this mistake again.

Advertisement

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 10-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,484

You might try a mild muriatic acid to scrub it out.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 412

Stiff brush and some soft scrub with a LOT of hard work might clean it up. I would use a brush on a stiff pole. Pumice stone or powder would probably be more effective than the soft scrub. Scuffy pads work great to clean the surface. Vinegar is a mild acid and what I use when working with epoxy grout. Of course all my cleanup is done within an hour. As suggested a more caustic muriatic acid will clean better.

These handles are handy for holding Scuffy pads.

Good luck! Enjoy the exercise.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

Just a shout out to Mapei Flexcolor CQ
The Following User Says Thank You to charimon For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (10-17-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
If my PO asks,I set tile

Trade: Commercial Tile Installs
Rewards Points: 1,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar91
The customer is now blaming me for everything
Which they should. If you are getting paid as a professional,know how to install like a professional.

Sure Klean 600 but thats a last resort before the chipping hammer. Dilute the heck out of it or you will be in a world of sh*t.

Try the white vinegar first and a scrubby.

Most grout manufactures tell you to do a test on a tile first, its usually written on the bag or the install instructions just like Metro said.
Most tile installers know to use a grout release on unglazed porcelain.Pays to know your products and what you're working with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evan1968 For This Useful Post:
PrecisionFloors (10-28-2016), TNTRenovate (10-17-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Mold Generator
Rewards Points: 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan1968 View Post
Which they should. If you are getting paid as a professional,know how to install like a professional.
you're assuming this is someone that does this for a living...or even has done this before.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
If my PO asks,I set tile

Trade: Commercial Tile Installs
Rewards Points: 1,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by krok
you're assuming this is someone that does this for a living...or even has done this before.
Then he is defrauding his "customer" by taking the job.

He's getting paid to install tile. On those days yes,hes doing it for a living.
With that comes the responsibility to know how to do it correctly .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evan1968 For This Useful Post:
PrecisionFloors (10-28-2016), TNTRenovate (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 03:40 AM   #9
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar91 View Post
Guys I am new to the forum and I am looking for some help. I recently installed porcelain tile for a customer and they told me they were unglazed and rejected tiles. Not thinking much of it I installed the tiles and grout that the customer wanted. I did everything to directions on thinset and grout. However very disturbingly the dark brown grout has stained the white porcelain tiles. I cleaned the floor over and over with fresh water after grouting according to directions yet stains would not come out. It looks as if the grout is in the tiles pours. The customer is now blaming me for everything. Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you
You are to blame. You sold yourself as the professional and a professional would know that you cannot rely on the client's material selection to be the best. You also need to at least look into how to install properly. You bit off more than you could chew and are now going to have to pay the price.

My advice is to hire a pro and have them do it right. Don't waste your time or money trying to clean up the mess. You will just end up having to replace in the end and be out the money for both the cleanup and new install.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Evan1968 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #10
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krok View Post
Why does either matter? He accepted the job. He represented himself as someone who could do it and be compensated for it.
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Evan1968 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #11
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,840

Just use white vinegar, it'll come right off...

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
Old 10-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #12

Trade: General Contracting

It's all cleaned up and customer is ecstatic. No worries! Thanks!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mar91 For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (11-01-2016), overanalyze (10-17-2016), Peter_C (10-17-2016), sycamorebob (10-18-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,608

Damn it's like nobody has ever bit off more then they could chew. The guy obviously never had experience with unglazed tiles before. Made a mistake. He came here and asked for help on a solution. Not to get scolded. I get it he's new and these are his first posts, but damn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gbruzze1 For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (11-01-2016), CPMKW (10-17-2016), Metro M & L (10-19-2016), Peter_C (10-17-2016), Splinter (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruzze1 View Post
Damn it's like nobody has ever bit off more then they could chew. The guy obviously never had experience with unglazed tiles before. Made a mistake. He came here and asked for help on a solution. Not to get scolded. I get it he's new and these are his first posts, but damn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You wouldn't say that if he tried electric or plumbing and failed. If anyone I know screws something up they have no business doing in the first place, they are going to first get a bit of a hard time and then help. Which is what most did on this thread.

Everyone thinks tile is easy and anyone can do it. The bigger issue is if he screwed this past up what else did he screw up under the tile.
overanalyze (10-31-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,608

If a qualified electrician came across something new, but didn't realize it was new and had to be treated differently, I'd still chalk it up to an honest mistake. Also would give him credit for trying to make it right.

I assume everything you've done, you've done right the first time. You're a better man then I and I give you credit. I've certainly screwed up my fair share of things, leaned from it, made it right, and become a better tradesman for it.

Now maybe this guys a complete hack. Maybe he has doesn't know which end of the trowel to use. I don't know. I just know the guy messed up, owned his mistake and was looking for advice how to fix it. All I'm saying is, what's the need to beat the guy up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gbruzze1 For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (11-01-2016), Metro M & L (10-19-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
You might try a mild muriatic acid to scrub it out.
Just a heads up if you get out the muriatic with fixtures in place. It could do a number on the finish, especially chrome plating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustyjames For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (10-19-2016), TNTRenovate (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #17
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruzze1 View Post
If a qualified electrician came across something new, but didn't realize it was new and had to be treated differently, I'd still chalk it up to an honest mistake. Also would give him credit for trying to make it right.

I assume everything you've done, you've done right the first time. You're a better man then I and I give you credit. I've certainly screwed up my fair share of things, leaned from it, made it right, and become a better tradesman for it.

Now maybe this guys a complete hack. Maybe he has doesn't know which end of the trowel to use. I don't know. I just know the guy messed up, owned his mistake and was looking for advice how to fix it. All I'm saying is, what's the need to beat the guy up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But he isn't a qualified tile setter. I doubt he has ever picked up a TCNA handbook or NTCA Reference Manual. I doubt he has ever been to a Schluter class or other product demo or instruction. Probably never heard of CEFT or their CTI program. Doubt he's ever been to a trade show or could even tell you who his local reps are. Heck, I doubt he could give you the address to a local tile shop and I highly doubt he even has an account at one.

No one has said one negative word about him trying to make it right.

And when did criticizing mean that I have never made a mistake? I guarantee you I got a ear full when I did do something that I wasn't remotely qualified to do and screwed it up that bad.

I also haven't seen anyone beat him up. I certainly am not going to tell him that he should just keep experimenting on people's homes. I am going to tell him to hire a professional and watch them, learn from them, ask them questions. Don't just think that because Home Depot offers an hour workshop on laying tile that anyone can do it, that it's easy.

I pay thousands of dollars a year to educate myself on my craft. I go to trade shows, meet with reps, demo products, learn from mentors, go to classes and learn everything I can about a product before I install or use it to install tile. I am a member of the NTCA and love to educate anyone on tile installation. But don't come here and talk about your mistake and not expect a bit of a tongue lashing when you are clearly outside of your skill set and shouldn't be using your client's home for OJT. Like I said, if he screwed up something like not sealing unglazed tile, what else is wrong with the installation? What is wrong with the parts that really matter?
Old 10-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #18
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

Notice how nothing was mentioned about HOW he got the problem solved? In other words, we're only a resource to be USED not contributed to, yet some of you want to join in the defense of what was obviously a job taken on without the necessary knowledge to complete it to a professional level. Grow up, leave your fvcking feelings at home, and stop watering down my ******* trade. It's bad enough men of honor, and integrity already have to compete with craigslist hacks and Home Depot Saturday class graduates to earn a living without supposed professionals defending such b.s.

Notice his customer told him they were unglazed?? Why even mention that exactly? My customer never told me **** about a piece of tile I didn't already know. If your feelings are hurt by this post - pm me for gps coordinates to the field in which my ****s are grown.......and you don't belong in the construction industry, I would suggest cosmetology.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PrecisionFloors For This Useful Post:
avenge (10-31-2016), overanalyze (10-31-2016), Texas Wax (10-31-2016), TNTRenovate (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:31 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Tile and Tool junkie
Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post
If your feelings are hurt by this post - pm me for gps coordinates to the field in which my ****s are grown.......and you don't belong in the construction industry, I would suggest cosmetology.
My feelings are hurt, and I barely even posted in this thread.
Can I get a link to hair dresser school. After all the difference between a good haircut and a bad one is two weeks but a bad tile job is bad till you tear it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to charimon For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (11-01-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:58 PM   #20

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar91 View Post
It's all cleaned up and customer is ecstatic. No worries! Thanks!
So,...... What worked?
Don't give me "it's all cleaned up" without details.

Advertisement