Polyblend Caulk - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Polyblend Caulk

Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: house painting
Rewards Points: 42

Polyblend Caulk

I tried some Polyblend Unsanded Caulk for the first time. I liked the color match, the way it tooled, etc. I caulked the inside corners of a ceramic tiled bathroom countertop. The gap was between a sixteenth and an eighth of an inch. After four days, the caulk is still very, very soft. Like somewhere between bubble gum and a marshmallow in softness. I peeled out a piece, and it is dried evenly throughout. You can imprint it with a fingernail very easily and the dent does NOT recover. The surfaces were completely dry of course, and I am in Southern California where there is no rain and little humidity so moisture is not a factor here. The question is this: Just how firm does this caulk ever get? Will it get a lot firmer in a week than it did in four days? Or is it just that this caulk just stays extremely soft? Thanks a lot.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 06:37 AM   #2

Trade: RENOVATIONS
Rewards Points: 96

Re: Polyblend Caulk

What you see is what you got.

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
New Guy

Thank you. That was a concise and thorough explanation. Could not have hoped for a better answer.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 334

When I use this product its for micro beads and never had any issues.
how big are the beads?
Check the date on the tube.

Last edited by cedarboarder; 10-12-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
New Guy

Hi, the beads are about 1/8 inch, not very large. I bought this stuff at a local tile supplier. Looks like they go through a lot of it, especially since it was Bright White in color. So I am guessing it is fresh. The code on it is: 18063RD02002. I am guessing the first two digits are year, but don't know for sure. I hope the 2002 at the end is not the year !!!!!!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 98

What makes you think because it's Bright White that they sell a lot of it? I don't think I've ever done a tile job with Bright White.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodel contractor
Rewards Points: 365

I've used sanded Polyblend many times. Mostly because its readily available in a bunch of colors. Never really liked it. My guess would be its old, or has been frozen. Bright white, you have many options. I would use something else. From my experience, Polyblend (sanded) shrinks, gets really hard over time, and stains.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
New Guy

Avenge, maybe it was a bad assumption. I just figured Bright White would be more commonly used than say "Mushroom" or "Ice Blue" or some of their more obscure colors. But maybe for those wanting white, they just use any brand. So I'm not sure on that.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
New Guy

Tang, interesting what you said. You said the sanded version gets really hard over time. I am using non-sanded but maybe the same? My original question was whether it ever gets beyond the bubble gum stage, and you seem to be saying it does given enough time? It's now been about a week, and the stuff has firmed up more, probably as firm as say Polyseamseal or the like. Seems like a long time, but at least it's firming up. I did take a chunk of it and threw it in a bucket of water. After two days completely submerged, it softened just a little but did not break down at all. After drying back out, it appears good. Just threw that in since I know a lot of people are leery about using it around tubs or showers.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodel contractor
Rewards Points: 365

It should set up in one day.IMO.. Whats the tube say about drying time. Is this in a shower with unsanded white grout?
Old 10-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #11
New Guy

The only area that I have used it on so far is a dry bathroom countertop. I was thinking of using it around a tub as well but have not so far. I am one of those silicone haters !!!! I have a couple of showers that I used Dap Kwik Seal Plus at the wall/floor junction about four years ago. They are used daily, never towel dried, and look as good as the day I put it down. But like I mentioned, I am in a very dry climate if that has any effect. So I think acrylic latex caulks are probably okay in a lot of situations, probably not all. Silicone is great, but once you dig and scrape out about a hundred feet of the stuff, you lose your taste for it pretty quick.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #12
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 1,080

Acrylic latex caulk does not belong in showers. Ever.

My experiences with color-matched Poly-blend caulks has been generally piss-poor. The only thing going for it, is that it is color-matched. Beyond that, it has no real value in my opinion.

It hardens and cracks in dry areas, worse than any grout I've ever seen, and in wet areas, it washes out quickly.

You may not like removing silicone, but it's the proper material for sinks, tubs, and showers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
avenge (10-13-2018), tang (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
New Guy

I can appreciate that, but how do you explain my success with the Kwik Seal Plus over four years? Maybe it is just a better acrylic than some others???
Old 10-13-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 1,080

Quote:
Originally Posted by PootyTang View Post
I can appreciate that, but how do you explain my success with the Kwik Seal Plus over four years? Maybe it is just a better acrylic than some others???
Isn't Kwik-Seal a composite, with a high percentage of silicone?

I can't remember, now I have to look it up.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
New Guy

Not sure either. I will look at it. Maybe that would explain it. I know it didn't tool very well, not very smooth so maybe not plain latex.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #16
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 3,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Acrylic latex caulk does not belong in showers. Ever..........
All I've ever used.

Clear silicone where aluminum enclosures meets other substrates, and that's about it.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #17
Pro

I never use acrylic between tile and tubs or showers it's a f**kin dumb idea I only use silicone matched to the grout.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 3,056

"I never use acrylic between tile and tubs or showers it's a f**kin dumb idea I only use silicone matched to the grout."

You would not be allowed to install on my builds.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
"I never use acrylic between tile and tubs or showers it's a f**kin dumb idea I only use silicone matched to the grout."

You would not be allowed to install on my builds.
Why, because I'm using the proper caulk? Where do you get the notion that any water based caulk is sufficient in a tub or shower?

It would be the other way around, I would refuse to do your installs.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #20
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
Acrylic latex caulk does not belong in showers. Ever.

My experiences with color-matched Poly-blend caulks has been generally piss-poor. The only thing going for it, is that it is color-matched. Beyond that, it has no real value in my opinion.

It hardens and cracks in dry areas, worse than any grout I've ever seen, and in wet areas, it washes out quickly.

You may not like removing silicone, but it's the proper material for sinks, tubs, and showers.

How about big stretch exterior? We buy it in clear & use paint to color match our smart siding. Has held up really well the last 3 years outside.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
rrk (10-14-2018)