Oh Dear - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Oh Dear

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #1
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,479
Rewards Points: 6,186

Oh Dear


I was looking for a tool review and I found this how to tile a shower article full of bad advice. "leave a gap between the mud bed and backer board so you don't need to waterproof!" for example.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/...e-a-pro/41784/
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
rblakes1 (01-04-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 01-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,150
Rewards Points: 896

Re: Oh Dear


That is horrible.

Advertisement

__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Golden view (01-03-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:39 AM   #3
Pro
 
rblakes1's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,438
Rewards Points: 3,014

Re: Oh Dear


I saw that on my Facebook feed. I was really tempted to start commenting on all the bad info, but I had better things to do

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
rblakes1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,011
Rewards Points: 556

Re: Oh Dear


I don't know if I can trust the reviews on that site after seeing that.
avenge is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #5
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,556
Rewards Points: 1,478

Re: Oh Dear


I think you might be miss interpreting what the means. If the shower base membrane goes up behind the Hardie in his case and is 6" higher than the threshold and there is a gap of 1/8" or so it prevents the wicking of moisture, all is still waterproof. And there is the plastic behind the hardie and over the pan material. the tile still goes to the floor tile and is grouted as normal

I have taken out a shower this year where the duroc went into the base mud and the shower never dried out at all. shower was 10 years old
rrk is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Tom M (01-07-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,479
Rewards Points: 6,186

Re: Oh Dear


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
I think you might be miss interpreting what the means. If the shower base membrane goes up behind the Hardie in his case and is 6" higher than the threshold and there is a gap of 1/8" or so it prevents the wicking of moisture, all is still waterproof. And there is the plastic behind the hardie and over the pan material. the tile still goes to the floor tile and is grouted as normal

I have taken out a shower this year where the duroc went into the base mud and the shower never dried out at all. shower was 10 years old
Where does he say there is plastic behind the hardie?

The fact that he has paint on waterproofing in the corners and on the screw heads shows he doesn't understand things. Water will go through the grout and through the hardie. It's like waterproofing 1/4 of a sponge and expecting it to not soak up water.

And how is there not wicking if there is thinset? Does he carefully not allow any thinset to bridge the gap?
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,479
Rewards Points: 6,186

Re: Oh Dear


Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
I don't know if I can trust the reviews on that site after seeing that.
I think the people that really know tools are too dumb to write reviews, or two busy anyway.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,150
Rewards Points: 896

Re: Oh Dear


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
I think you might be miss interpreting what the means. If the shower base membrane goes up behind the Hardie in his case and is 6" higher than the threshold and there is a gap of 1/8" or so it prevents the wicking of moisture, all is still waterproof. And there is the plastic behind the hardie and over the pan material. the tile still goes to the floor tile and is grouted as normal

I have taken out a shower this year where the duroc went into the base mud and the shower never dried out at all. shower was 10 years old
No Preslope
No waterproofing on the walls
No seam tape above 3'
No back butter
No directional troweling
Put the thinset on with a 4" drywall knife? WTH! Are you kidding me?

The cement board should get taped and waterproofed. No need to worry about wicking.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
Old 01-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
Pro
 
rrk's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: new jersey
Posts: 5,556
Rewards Points: 1,478

Re: Oh Dear


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Where does he say there is plastic behind the hardie?

The fact that he has paint on waterproofing in the corners and on the screw heads shows he doesn't understand things. Water will go through the grout and through the hardie. It's like waterproofing 1/4 of a sponge and expecting it to not soak up water.

And how is there not wicking if there is thinset? Does he carefully not allow any thinset to bridge the gap?
Since hardie is not a water barrier, waterproofing has to be either on the surface or behind it. I prefer on the surface.

The gap is not supposed to be full of thinset, Just some grout which will not wick nearly as much as the hardie.

Im just talking about the gapping, the waterproofing of just the seams and screws is a waste of time. The whole surface or behind it should be done.
rrk is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #10
Hair Splitter
 
TNTRenovate's Avatar
 
Trade: General
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 18,150
Rewards Points: 896

Re: Oh Dear


Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
Since hardie is not a water barrier, waterproofing has to be either on the surface or behind it. I prefer on the surface.

The gap is not supposed to be full of thinset, Just some grout which will not wick nearly as much as the hardie.

Im just talking about the gapping, the waterproofing of just the seams and screws is a waste of time. The whole surface or behind it should be done.
Plastic behind backer isn't considered waterproofing but a moisture barrier. Since you have to pierce it to install it, it's not waterproof. It would also allow moisture to collect between the backer and the plastic. Since grout and cement board are not impervious, it will carry organics with it and mold.

The gap will get thinset in when you install the tile properly. Since 95% coverage is called for by all industry standards in a wet area it would be hard to achieve coverage without getting thinset into those areas.
__________________
Tried & True on Facebook
Tried & True Website
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
TNTRenovate is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
avenge (01-04-2019), Golden view (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,011
Rewards Points: 556

Re: Oh Dear


The whole article was a joke starting with "Just the pro tips". Seriously it's like a DIY'er from 20 years ago.
avenge is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
Golden view (01-04-2019), TNTRenovate (01-04-2019), Xtrememtnbiker (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:46 PM   #12
Pro
 
rescraft's Avatar
 
Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 617
Rewards Points: 1,287

Re: Oh Dear


Quote:
Originally Posted by avenge View Post
The whole article was a joke starting with "Just the pro tips". Seriously it's like a DIY'er from 20 years ago.
Whoa bro, I was a DIY'r 20 years ago; well maybe more like 35 years...
rescraft is offline  
Old 01-05-2019, 12:06 AM   #13
Pro
 
avenge's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 3,011
Rewards Points: 556

Re: Oh Dear


Quote:
Originally Posted by rescraft View Post
Whoa bro, I was a DIY'r 20 years ago; well maybe more like 35 years...
You make any articles as a DIY'er on "professional" sites we can ridicule?

Advertisement

avenge is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dear Lyft Driver Kowboy Off Topic (Non Trade) 24 11-07-2018 10:54 PM
Dear Jack Kowboy Off Topic (Non Trade) 3 02-13-2018 09:45 PM
Dear Joseph Kowboy Off Topic (Non Trade) 8 01-25-2016 03:46 PM
Dear God, Where Is The Rain? ProTechRoofing Roofing 14 01-24-2013 01:03 AM
Bad Santa Replies... Robie Off Topic (Non Trade) 8 11-28-2006 07:10 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?