Need A New Wet Saw. - Tiling - Contractor Talk

Need A New Wet Saw.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

Need A New Wet Saw.

I use a snap cutter and grinder as much as possible, but am looking for a new 7" or 10" saw with a sliding table. I also have a 7" bench top saw that I free hand L and U cuts. The new saw will likely be used primarily for mosaics and some stone.

My priorities are: light/portable, good water management/containment (will be using buckets for fresh & dirty water), minimal table/blade wobble for clean straight cuts.

I know the dewalt is a worthy contender, but are there any 7" models that offer the same level of performance, in a smaller package? Reviews on the Rigid are mixed, I've also been trying to find solid info on the Beast 7.

Is a 10" saw required for high level performance?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodel and Repairs
Rewards Points: 991

Re: Need A New Wet Saw.

In the same boat. I've been looking at the 8" Ridgid. Kind of a happy medium.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 212

I've got the 7" Rigid. As far as the saw goes it works just fine. It cuts straight. But it's basically an inverted grinder so it's very loud and water containment is bad. Definitely an outside saw. But it's really light and I got tired of lugging the 10" Felker around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBCarpentry View Post
I've got the 7" Rigid. As far as the saw goes it works just fine. It cuts straight. But it's basically an inverted grinder so it's very loud and water containment is bad. Definitely an outside saw. But it's really light and I got tired of lugging the 10" Felker around.

Do you have one of the current versions? How are the rollers on the table. Some reviews indicated that the slop could not be eliminated without tightening them to the point it doesn't slide freely.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 212

Yeah it is the current one. And I haven't experienced that. The table rolls smooth and straight.

I saw those reviews as well but I'm always wondering if people actually know what their doing. I'll try and shoot a short video of it tomorrow if you want.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 42

I have the Ridgid 8" and I would say it's definitely better than some but by no means a great saw. There is a bit of slop at the beginning of the sled travel if you are cutting a 24" rip but that's about my only complaint. Cuts good with a decent blade, has the ability to adjust the sled alignment and water containment is fair.

I would say that I'm in the market for something larger, got a job coming up that I will need to cut 48"x48" tiles and the Architect is specify mitered edges on a drop down shower.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodel and Repairs
Rewards Points: 991

Thanks for the info. I really like the Dewalt 10 inch but its too much for what I want too spend. The Ridgid is 450 cheaper than the Dewalt here. Kind of a happy medium.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings View Post
Thanks for the info. I really like the Dewalt 10 inch but its too much for what I want too spend. The Ridgid is 450 cheaper than the Dewalt here. Kind of a happy medium.
To an extent, you get what you pay for. I've seen next to no negative comments on the dewalt. If the tool is used regularly, the difference in price will quickly be absorbed. I never regretted spending the extra money for quality, because tools with deficiency and quality issues cost me money on the job.

I'm sold on the dewalt, except the size and weight. Most of my installs are showers, back splashes, plank, and porcelain 24" & less. If I install a floor, all of my cuts are on my sigma cutter except going around obstacles. I may use a wet saw on 2-3 cuts. The 10" I have now has been sitting in my shop since August.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: framing, finishing.
Rewards Points: 429

I don't even tile and I bought an $1100 beast, for my own floor. I'm glad I did because it saved me from throwing multiple fits like a 2 year old for using garbage tools. Can't understand that if you do something On a regular basis, you will save $100 on a tool, that makes every job take twice as long. WTF?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:05 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings View Post
I wouldn't waste my money on the Ridgid nor any saw in the same class, you may think you're saving money but in the end you're not. There's no comparison between the Ridgid and the Dewalt.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #11

Trade: Kitchens
Rewards Points: 98

I have a Dewalt and it's great. The cuts are perfect, the table slides nicely and the water containment is very good. I only use it outside, but I can't imagine using any wet saw inside.

I also have a sigma snap cutter, but found that it doesn't cut really hard tiles. When I have soft tiles, it saves a lot of time.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Craftsman
Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Drake View Post
I have a Dewalt and it's great. The cuts are perfect, the table slides nicely and the water containment is very good. I only use it outside, but I can't imagine using any wet saw inside.

I also have a sigma snap cutter, but found that it doesn't cut really hard tiles. When I have soft tiles, it saves a lot of time.

I use my DeWalt inside all the time.

It's cold outside during the winter months.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:02 AM   #13

Trade: Tile installations
Rewards Points: 116

For mosaics the ridgid is definitely not bad. It's small and the 7 inch blade does the job. Just be prepared to clean up the area around the saw because it's pretty much a shower. I would never use it inside a house. I have a dewalt which is awesome. Cuts straight and contains the water. If you plan on using the saw quiet a bit I would bite the bullet and buy a dewalt

Advertisement