My First Tile Job. - Tiling - Contractor Talk

My First Tile Job.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #1

Trade: remodeling, siding, windows, decks
Rewards Points: 75

My First Tile Job.

Just installed this last week.

Not sure why the pic is so small, sorry.

Last edited by taylorconst; 07-18-2010 at 02:33 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: My First Tile Job.

Try uploading the picture to photobucket or flikr site and then use the IMG link and they will come up full size.

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Looks like you just started in a corner and worked your way out...while that works, it looks better if you center up a tile or grout line on the door and make sure the layout prevents that little 2" tile you have near the tub. You would have ended up with 7" tiles near the door and near the tub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Doing what I do.

Trade: Remodeling contractor/US Army
Rewards Points: 79

Remodeling and painting.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Dan

you should center that tile. both ways. It doesn't look good to end at the tub/shower with those smaller pieces. You have to find the center of the floor in each direction. then sometimes you center the tile on that line(while making a second line for the edge of the tile), and sometimes you run the tile along the center line and it lays out better. All depends on the size of the room.

if it's in an area that doesn't get seen much, and it's the only way of doing it, then a small rip can be used, like behind a toilet area that is hard to see, it's still not ideal.

did you start at the doorway and work to the tub?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastg60 View Post
I see the toilet in the tub but I don't see where you cut out for it
Old 07-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Dan

you can just barely see the white(pvc?) of the toilet flange, it's next to the vanity cab.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApgarNJ View Post
you can just barely see the white(pvc?) of the toilet flange, it's next to the vanity cab.
Now I see it..
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

It doesn't look bad.

As others have said, layout is key.

Hard to tell from the photos about lippage. Did you just wipe the floor, because the grout looks blotchy...?

Think about using an epoxy or urethane grout.

Also, how do you plan on transitioning from the wood to tile?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

Not bad for a first job. I would have broken the colors up a bit more. It looks like there is a stripe or two in the floor because you have multiple dark and light tiles bunched together or in a row. I probably would have scribed the first row to fit against the tub out of full or nearly full tiles but layout is subjective....the customer is the one you have to make happy, not a bunch of nit pickin fellow contractors

edit: Looks like that toilet flange is buried....what did this go over
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: DIYer apparently
Rewards Points: 1,000

i like the layout left a full at the door and a good size chuck at the tub to scribe with. And the best part he is putting base on top of the tile. Make sure you caulk that joint at the tile and base. great install.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #12

Trade: remodeling, siding, windows, decks
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
Looks like you just started in a corner and worked your way out...while that works, it looks better if you center up a tile or grout line on the door and make sure the layout prevents that little 2" tile you have near the tub. You would have ended up with 7" tiles near the door and near the tub.
This is how the man paying for it wanted it. I talked to him about cutting tiles at the door so they would be the same at both ends. The room was perfect for width so four tiles across no cutting. As far as the pattern that was also the home owner. He had each tile numbered and an arrow that had to point to the south. He even had it all drawn up on a peice of paper. There is a cut out for the toilet you just can't see it, it's behind the vanity. When I took the picture I had just got done wiping down the floor, that's why the grout looks blotchy. It dried up to a nice uniform color.
Where I come from baseboard always goes on top of the floor, not the floor up to it.
There is no lipage. We just recently bought a house that has a remodeled bathroom, there is enough lipage on that tile floor that I could just about add tiles on top of the low ones to even it out. As far as the transition he wanted 1/4 round that matched the new baseboard I installed.

Last edited by taylorconst; 07-18-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 AM   #13
Money Changer

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
Not sure I follow the math here. If he centered the tile, how do you divide 2" then end up with 7" on both ends?

I think it looks fine. Sometimes with smaller rooms, it's tough to get a piece of tile large enough to look good on the border. If I can't get at least a 1/3 piece of tile on both ends, I'll go as you did and start full on one end.

Bottom line, if the customer got exactly what they wanted, job well done
Old 07-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorconst View Post
This is how the man paying for it wanted it. I talked to him about cutting tiles at the door so they would be the same at both ends. The room was perfect for width so four tiles across no cutting. As far as the pattern that was also the home owner. He had each tile numbered and an arrow that had to point to the south. He even had it all drawn up on a peice of paper. There is a cut out for the toilet you just can't see it, it's behind the vanity. When I took the picture I had just got done wiping down the floor, that's why the grout looks blotchy. It dried up to a nice uniform color.
Where I come from baseboard always goes on top of the floor, not the floor up to it.
There is no lipage. We just recently bought a house that has a remodeled bathroom, there is enough lipage on that tile floor that I could just about add tiles on top of the low ones to even it out. As far as the transition he wanted 1/4 round that matched the new baseboard I installed.
When it comes to layout and pattern - That's all that matters. I don't have to like it, I ain't gotta live there
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 07-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #15
Pro Grade Flooring LLC

Trade: Flooring: Carpet, Wood, Laminate
Rewards Points: 77

I cant really tell from the pictures, but to me it doesnt look like the tile is far enough into the doorway to cover the transition under the door. Looks like the hallway flooring would be viewable in the bathroom. I could be wrong.

Other then that, and the small tiles at the tub, looks good to me. Bathrooms are no fun.

Advertisement